Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 18th January 2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Stargazer

Default US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi. I am the original unregistered poster. Thank you for all your advice. I will take it.
Hello, I'd like to know whether you bought a US because I'm still contemplating of getting one .
let me know .. I'd like some to hear from some owners...

thanks
Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Stargazer

Hello BelSkorpio,

I'd like to ask u about your US experiences. I weigh about 75 kg and bought a FAnatic RAy 145 LTD last year [model 2011] I sail it with a maui Titan 9.0m and the standard 50cm + a 52 cm fin. Although I plane pretty early I have the feeling I can do better it's just that when the picks up the ray is hard to control it gets big quickly. Of course this board is for light wind conditions I have a futura 111 and some vapors as well when it gets windy.
The question is , is the US more controllable [although it is wider than the ray's 81 cm] and I guess it will allow me to plane even earlier due to it's width.
I just wonder if it will make a big difference and is it quite controllable in choppy conditions. I surf most of the times on lakes like het Veerse Meer in the netherlands :-)
Old 19th January 2013, 06:43 AM   #13
mcross19

Stargazer, haven't tried the Ray in that size but would guess there wasn't much in it between the two boards when it becomes choppy, the Ray would probably handle it slightly better but the US would plane a little sooner, you could always get a smaller board to take the 9m which would handle the chop better but wouldn't plane as early, its all about comprimise. With the Futura 111 you should be able to put a 7.5 on it as your biggest sail so 9m to 7.5 is an ok jump.
mcross19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2013, 09:06 AM   #14
BelSkorpio

Hi Stargazer,

The Veerse meer is a perfect spot for the Ultrasonic.
Why ? because it is full of lulls (depending on the wind direction).
It's one of the most beautiful lakes in NL, I find.
Windsurfing with the charming town Veere on the background, is simply idyllic.

The Ultrasonic will handle the lulls much better and point much better than the Ray145, because of its bigger width and fin length, used on it.

Is it better controllable in the chop c/w the Ray145 ? There won't be much in it.
If it gets uncontrollable, you should be anyway on your Fu111, certainly with your 75kg.
Until now, I only had 1 serious tailwalk with the US, but it was in a very strong gust and probably my own stupid fault not having sheeted in enough.
Important to know is that the board feels VERY light. I never have the feeling that I am on such a wide board. Probably the tail cutouts will also provide better control c/w the Ray and will largely compensate for the bigger width.
On the Grevelingendam, where the chop is always nastier c/w the Veerse Meer, I've never had any problems with the US. I'm a bit heavier than you, of course (87kg).

8.8 is my smallest sail on the US. I often start with 8.8 on my IS122 and when the wind gets too unstable I just swap to the US.

In very light conditions I use a 10.9 on the board. Feels also great.

Also read the following thread, where many have posted their experiences.
http://www.star-board.com/forum/show...ght=ultrasonic
Old 19th January 2013, 06:14 PM   #15
Stargazer

Thanks Belskorpio,

I know it's a little drive from Antwerp but Veere and het Noordzeestrand is well worth it.
It's just that the board will behave "light" as you say. Do you sail the wood or carbon version? Is there a big difference between the 2?
It's a lot of money so I just want to make sure to make the right decision.
I do surf the F111 with a 44 cm and a the 7.6 vapor .. but the wind is most of the times so unstable here that it gets very tiring and frustrating .. hence the light wind option.
The new isonic 127 comes to mind as well .. any experience on that one .. I know it's a lot more technical than the futura but I'm fine with that.

thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 04:36 PM   #16
BelSkorpio

I have the US carbon version. Never tried the wood, Don't see the point of it for light wind conditions.

I think that the isonic 127 is 1 of the most used racing machines for the medium to heavy weight PWA racers. Those guys use a 9.5 on it when I am probably on my IS122 with a 7.8 or 8.8.
I think that the board performs extremely well in the high end and in the typical down wind PWA slalom tracks with rather "clean wind".

On the contrary, if you're looking for a board that deals with the typical lulls on a lake, I don't think that it is the best choice, although it could work for you as a light weight. I think that it's also a board that needs a more active style to get it onto the plane in light conditions, because of its shorter length. Just my 2 cents.
Old 21st January 2013, 08:10 PM   #17
Stargazer

Thanks Belscorpio,

I think you r right .. the IS 127 looks awesome but the US although wider and having more volume will fit me better dans le petite temps :-) and that is what I'm looking for .. when the wins picks up to around a ready 4BF I'll be switching to my F111 anyway.
As you mentioned we have to deal with a lot of lulls on lakes ...
thanks
Old 28th March 2013, 01:53 PM   #18
Unregistered

Cool What about the real heavyweights like me?

Hi I am a heavy guy from Scotland (yep it's cold) and I am looking to get a new board and sail to cope with light winds, cold water and all 103 kg of me. Would love an US147 but ... is it more designed for smaller sailors squeezing the wind? Or would it cope with me? What brand of sail would compliment it best in the 9.5m + range?

Windsurfed for 25 years and have a few skills but getting old for the smaller boards

Giff
Old 29th March 2013, 12:15 AM   #19
Unregistered

in this article at gb.zinio.com/page/;jsessionid=AE9444B2B1801211B406AC1873FE5724.prd-main-news5?issue=416170010&pg=57&categoryId=cat1960028& acf=PG

and other spots it is suggested both the SB US and JP SLW are GREAT at planing early AND for heavyweights

in that article it says - donut worry about which one planes first - just get one and plane

some people prefer the JP SLW 92 for length
others prefer the SB US for speed and over the JP SLW since that fin is too "soft"

so, yeah - go for it
Old 29th March 2013, 09:13 PM   #20
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Giff,

No worries for your 103 kg with US147. A pal of 105 kg is using one with an Overdrive 11 m2 sail + 62 cm fin (planing as of 8 knots of wind) or a NCX 9.0 m2 sail + 58 cm fin (planing as of 12 knots).

Go for it !

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote