Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th November 2012, 04:43 PM   #1
resbi

Question Futura 141 with AC-1 9.3

Hello guys, I need your help for my new purchase in case to avoid any mistakes.

Currently I have the Futura 141 2011 with point 7 AC-X 8m2 no cam sail,
but I am thinking to buy another one for light wind and I am thinking the point 7 AC-1 9.3m2 4cams, question is;

Do you think this sail it will be too much for my board, as the type of this sail is race/slalom and my board if freerace ????

This sail is only for race windsurfers or freerider like me can handling???
Thanks in advance.
resbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 02:46 PM   #2
mcross19

That board should be able to take a 9.3 no problem but consider changing your fin.

Only question that you have to ask yourself is do you really need a sail with four cams? A twin cam or even triple cam (Severne overdrive) will be more delightful to use and easier to rig and be less heavy in the hands. From what I read the Point 7's are good sails but quite heavy when compared to others of a similar size.
mcross19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 06:01 PM   #3
BelSkorpio

Hi resbi,

I'm no professional racer but I do like race sails very much, simply because they are more stable and easy to sail than all other sails.

The thing that you have to ask yourself is:

- Do I want comfort in sailing

or

- Do I want comfort in rigging / carrying / uphauling the sail.

If the latter is more important for you, you better don't choose a race sail, because yes it is heavier, more difficult to rig and most certainly more difficult to pull out of the water when the large mast sleeve fills up with water.

On the other hand if comfort during sailing is what you seek and you have the budget available, go for the race sail. With comfort during sailing, I mean the ability to handle gusts, the ease in overpowered conditions, stability & performance both in the high and low end wind range.

Again, for me a race sail is not more technical, on the contrary it is easier.

I sometimes even use a 4 camber race sail on my wave board when the chop gets too rough for my IS87 and when I'm too lazy to change the sail. And guess what, it works great. Not ideal for jumping of course, because a race sail tends to hammer the board down, but super for control.

Regards.
Old 24th December 2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Ericred0

Location: Llangorse in the brecon beacons. very close to the lake.

Hi i use a point 7 AC1 9.6 on my isonic 135 and futura 135 as a light wind sail, its fantastic for early planing and planing through some major lulls.
Buy one you'll be amazed.
I'm 78kg and use a 52cm Drake race fin.
Eric
Ericred0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Resbi

The Futura 141 is a free race board and accept with no problems at all the no cam sails until the full race sails and actually you will get the best performances on the last one.
The main sails I use to develop this board was Ncx 9.0 and Turbo 9.2 and was perfect for it.
So no worries about your choice, you will love it.

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote