Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 13th April 2007, 06:49 PM   #1
Joe

Default Apollo Review

Hi Roger
Hope things are going well.
I'm sure I've read your comments that you have ridden and/or have an apollo in your fleet.
Can you give us some more insight into this board - early planning, control, sail type etc...
Has this board finally lowered the planning threshold down lower than the MPB board?
Regards,
Joe
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 08:34 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Apollo Review

Hi Joe,
Yes, and "I'm not sure yet" are the short answers here.
Yes, I do have an Apollo in the demo fleet. I did not get to sail it from
early Dec. thru the first of March as Windsurfing Magazine had the board for their board tests.
Since I recovered the Apollo from the board tests, I've use it at a couple of light wind demos and it's been, by far, the most popular early planing wide board.
Did a demo at Sunset Beach Park in Tarpon Springs, and the Apollo with a 10 m2 Sailworks Retro and 40 cm Lessacher Design Formula Duo
Weed fin was a real hit in 7-11 knots of wind. Any of the demo customers who knew anything about formula sailing easily got the Apollo/Retro combo planing.
Went back the next day to do some "free sailing" and ran into a couple of older guys (Jerry and Max) who sail there alot.
Jerry has an older F-175 or 186 and was using his 10.5 Ezzy sail.
Max had a big JP of some sort and about an 8.5 to 9.0 m2 rig.
I put the 9.1 m2 Sailworks NXfw on the Apollo and pretty much sailed right away from both of them in about 6-9 knots of wind.
I just heard yesterday that Max has already purchased an Apollo and Jerry is looking for one.
As far as "I'm not sure yet", I have not had the time or conditions to do any "head to head" testing between the Apollo and the old MPB.
And, I would very much like to test the MPB against the Serenity.
The Serenity never really planes, but I think it's still faster (longer waterline and a more efficient shape through the water) than the MPB.
Once you get the Apollo on a plane, in about 6-7 knots (maybe less but my good anemometers are currently not working) it really accelerates, so I'm sure it's faster than the MPB and Serenity.
I've sailed the Apollo a couple of times with smaller rigs (Severne Glide 7.5 m2 Power sail and SW NXslm 7.2 slalom race sail yesterday) and found that even with smaller (but very powerful) rigs the Apollo planes very early in about 9 knots of wind.
It's not the easiest board to get planing, but if you "ooch" it along and get far enough off the wind, it seems to work it's way onto a plane pretty easily in significantly less wind than even a formula board.
Once on a plane, it really accelerates and goes through the lulls quite well (on boardspeed generated apparent wind).
Control is pretty easy as the board has very wide set footstraps.
I sailed it yesterday in about 12-14 knots with a weed fin that was too small and collected weeds a bit (the tide in the Pamlico Sound was low, and the Sound has alot more sandbars right now that make any fin deeper than 32 cm a little "risky") and it really took off on a broad reach and deep downwind.
Overall a pretty brilliant lite wind design.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 12:25 AM   #3
MA_Pete

Roger:

Great stuff!

Will you have this Apollo at Windfest next week?

I have heard it is pretty shallow there, will it be possible to demo the Apollo at that location? I am thinking of coming down.

Also, will you have the Phantom there?

Thanks!

-Pete
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 12:50 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi MA_Pete,
Yes, the Apollo will be available to demo at Windfest next week.
We'll put a good weed fin (probably the Lessacher 40 cm) so you'll have to walk out a ways, but once beyond the timing/phtog stand (if they have one) you should be able to fully explore the Apollo (at least in weed fin mode).
Yes, I'll have the Phantom 301 on the beach for you to sail.
Plus:
Pure Acid 80
Evo 90
Kombat 97
Carve 101
Isonic 101
S-Type 115
Starsurfer S (117 ltr)
Isonic 122
Carve 122 (Same board WS mag tested)
Kombat Aero 127
Carve 144