Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd December 2014, 10:42 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Trim problem on Futura 141

Hello,

I sailed my new 2014 Futura 141 some times now and like it very much with my biggest sail (9,4m") and 51 or 47 cm select S10 fin.

I am not so happy with my 7,8 sail (Point-7 Ac-K, 3 cam) as I could not find a good stance so far. I always feel like the front foot comes out of the front strap.
Fin used: select S 10 43 cm
Boom: 5 cm from highest Position (I am 1,92 cm tall, 98 kg)
mastfoot at recommended Position in the middle of the masttrack.

What should I try.
I know that lowering the boom could bring more pressure to the front foot. I could not really try this because my harness lines would be too long then. Maybe I will try it with adjustabel harness lines next time.
Then putting the mastfoot forward should have the same impact on the foot pressure.
But I also read that I should put the mastfoot back?
The 7,8 sail should be the sweet spot for this board but surprisingly at the moment it works better with my 9,4 sail.

Do You have some recommendations?

Best regards

Alex
Old 22nd December 2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Unregistered

Draft forward sails put a lot of pressure on the back leg on some boards. Try different sail trims -like slightly less downhaul for example.
Boom a bit down and mastfoot slightly forward will help also. You may need to let some outhaul when you lower the boom.
Old 22nd December 2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Krister

I think the key is to get less weight on the nose and less weight on the rear foot too.
This means mastfoot further back and more downhaul, respectively.

Adjustable harness lines is a great way to be able to alter the boom height, without altering the harness line "height".

An adjustable outhaul is also great for on-the-fly tuning.
Krister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 12:55 AM   #4
Unregistered

7.8 is not the sweet spot size for your 80cm wide Futura Alex, it's too small actualy. When you are powered up on this size of a sail there is a significant chop on most places. The big board gets bouncy, your stance gets defensive and shifts out and back, your weight shifts over the back foot and your front one starts slipping out of the strap. What you do is :depowering the sail without making it unstable -you know DH/OH to the recommended extent, boom below shoulder hight and mast foot a finger or two forward of center to move the downforce of the sail forward and prevent the nose from lifting too much.
No matter what you do unfortunately your front foot will still try to slip out at times that's why we who sail slalom gear keep our front straps so tight that only our toes are visible. When it gets hairy we lift them UP thus effectively jamming our foot in the strap which also puts pressure on the heel which helps keeping down that lifty rail . We do exactly the opposite when we are underpowered - we push with our toes DOWN lifting the heel to keep the board flat.
Old 23rd December 2014, 05:44 AM   #5
Unregistered

Thank You very much for Your comments.

The Futura 141 has a sailrange from 6,5 to 10 m² so it should be possible to find a good trim with a 7,8 sail, alltough it is maybe a little smaller than the sweet spot.
When I was sailing with the 7,8 I was on a lake with really flat water, so I had no problems to control the board at all (no tailwalking, no bouncing ...). But I am with You that sailing with slalom gear (the Futura is almost a slalom board) means, that You often have more pressure on Your back foot, I also know and use the technique of lifting the toes to stay in the front strap.

But I hope to be able to improve my stance with the 7,8 in the future.

What I am wondering is that some of You recommend the mastfoot forward or more downhaul and others recommend the opposite (mastfoot back, less downhaul).

I will try both options ans see what works best for me.

Best regards

Alex
Old 23rd December 2014, 08:17 AM   #6
Unregistered

One additional question:

Would an other fin size be helpful to solve the front foot issue.
When Yes, is a smaller or a bigger fin useful in this case. Or does the fin size have no impact on this.

Best regards

Alex
Old 23rd December 2014, 03:26 PM   #7
Unregistered

Ok I'm sorry about the confusion with the less DH suggestion. It's used in slalom in a very moderate way when it's realy hairy to help with keeping the nose down. The theory behind it is that the DH acts a bit like sheeting out -the more of it - the less the down force. I suggested it only as an example of trying different rig trims, otherwise don't give it too much thought-in most situations more DH is better.
Mast foot back or forward should be clear: back when you are underpowered -it keeps the rig upright-more power and it puts the downforce center back which makes the front lift more and there is less hull in the water and less drag which helps with earlier planing and speed ; forward -the opposite happens and you do it in overpowered conditions to depower the rig and help with controlling the lift.
You have good fins already and they are not the reason for your problem IMO. Just do some experimenting with different RIG trims/ maybe different mast/-sometimes it's counterintuitive what works and what doesn't. Sails and boards are not a custom tailored suits -the recommended settings are not necessarily the best ones for everybody .
Ady
Old 23rd December 2014, 05:32 PM   #8
Unregistered

Hi Ady,

thank You very much for Your explanation.

BR

Alex
Old 23rd December 2014, 10:22 PM   #9
Unregistered

Hey Alex, this may be your lucky day Santa brought us here in Chiberia a week of temperatures above freezing and today I was off and there was some wind so I went sailing after a month and a half hiatus. I did some experimenting on your behalf in the short wind window I had . The breakthrough came I think, when I moved my otherwise centered /for that sail/ harness lines a bit back-the way I used to put them on my slalom gear for better sheeting in. At that point it seems my front foot started to try to sleep out I think. Unfortunately I was able to do only one short run before the wind died, so I can't confirm 100% if that was the reason and if moving just one or both ends makes the difference.
Now tell me something: do you keep your harness lines in the same position for both of the sails you mentioned?!
Ady
Old 24th December 2014, 05:47 AM   #10
Unregistered

I use the sails with different booms. On the 7,8 the harness lines are a bit more forward as on the 9,4. i think that the harness lines are in good position, as I am able to remove both hands from the boom for a short time during riding.
Next time I will first try to lower the boom and then experiment with different mastfoot positions and sail trims and maybe also harness lines position.
A lot of testing work is waiting ...

Br

Alex