Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 19th February 2013, 10:01 AM   #1
Unregistered

Post Futura or Carve 111 Carbon

Hi,

I weigh in at 78kg, normally use sail sizes between 7,5 and 5,0 and conditions are from low to heavy chop. Wind is gusty where I live so many times I'm either under or over powered. I'm an intermediate surfer, get 85% of jibes right, always use outer position for foot straps etc. I like going fast but I'm no speed freak, all my sails are non-cambered but they are freeride types like North X-type. I'm having great difficulty choosing between the Carve 111 Carbon or the Futura 111 Carbon. In magazine tests it seems like the Carve handles chop and overpowered conditions better but the Futura offers more top end speed and earlier planing? Is the difference big between the boards? Given what I described, which one do you think is the better fit?

Many thanks
Gustav
Old 19th February 2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Farlo

Considering your program I would go for the Carve... but I'm 10 Kg lighter. The Futura may give you that precious bit of extra range you need to save many light wind days.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Unregistered

I cannot answer the specific question, i.e. Carve or Futura. However a bit of experience with the Carve 122. I sail frequently in choppy conditions, and here I quikly face issues with the Carve - as it is a wide board. But as the chop goes with more wind, I'm using a smaller and narrower board in that case - a Fanatic Skate 97. That being said the Futura 122 is an excellent board for fairly flat water.
Old 19th February 2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I cannot answer the specific question, i.e. Carve or Futura. However a bit of experience with the Carve 122. I sail frequently in choppy conditions, and here I quikly face issues with the Carve - as it is a wide board. But as the chop goes with more wind, I'm using a smaller and narrower board in that case - a Fanatic Skate 97. That being said the Futura 122 is an excellent board for fairly flat water.
Sorry for the typo , my experience is with the Futura 122. So my post should be as follows:

I cannot answer the specific question, i.e. Carve or Futura. However a bit of experience with the Futura 122. I sail frequently in choppy conditions, and here I quikly face issues with the Futura - as it is a wide board. But as the chop goes with more wind, I'm using a smaller and narrower board in that case - a Fanatic Skate 97. That being said the Futura 122 is an excellent board for fairly flat water.[/
Old 20th February 2013, 02:45 AM   #5
Haggar

I've been sailing a 2012 F111 Wood in open bay conditions for the last 18 months. I've used race/free race sail sizes 7.8, 7 and 6 and Venom fins 42 and 36. I was sailing iSonics before and the Futura was a logical choice for me as I sail for recreation and GPS when I do get to flat water. Providing that you tune your kit, the Futura handles the chop with ease, just make sure you use the correct size fin, too small and you will feel the chop more. I've just got a 38 Venom as I find the 36 just a bit too small. I've just got a F93 in Wood for the same conditions and stronger winds, and for winds above 20 - 25 knts, then I'm on my 86 Acid. I weigh around 75 kg. If I did'nt do GPS then I would change to Carve or Kode. BTW the Futura is a fantastic board for me. If you are in really choppy conditions, I would favour the wood over the carbon, I would think the carbon ride may be a little harsh.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 07:15 AM   #6
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Gustav,

In my opinion, in your case the Carve 111 will be the best option for you, this board is more easy in Jibe than the Futura who is more a FreeRace machine, early planning fast acceleration and top end speed.
The Carve is more relax board and more easy to learn jibe.

Hope this help

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 08:32 AM   #7
Unregistered

Appreciate all feed back! Still not 100% clear but I'm leaning towards the Futura as I think this board would offer more "growth" potential. I also should have added that I have a 90litre freewave board for windier days.
Thanks
Gustav
Old 20th February 2013, 08:51 AM   #8
PrydeMan

I've sailed futura boards and this season I decided to give the carve 111 a go. What a board. It goes any where and can be quick or freemove. It handles to chop really well. Even heavy chop.
PrydeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Farlo

Was about to tell you the same. The Carve would be an ideal multi-purpose one-board solution for you with 5.0-7.5 sails, reminescent of the S-Type. But if you have also a 90L Freevawe, then the Futura will offer extra wind range.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 04:58 PM   #10
BelSkorpio

Funny, I had a few weeks ago the same conflict.
My son had already a 90L freewave board and I wanted to buy him a new 111L board as a replacement for his older 125L board. Target sails 6.4 and 7.5. I was also doubting between the Fu111 and the Carve111.
Because I found on the 2nd hand market a Fu111/Technora of 2011 in a very good state, I've bought it.
It was only used a couple of times and not that expensive.
Although I bought it for my sun, I'm also very eager to ride the Futura and compare it with my Isonics. Until now I've never been on a Futura.
At the moment we are waiting for the weather to get warmer to try the Futura.

I came to same conclusion as Farlo. If you already have a 90L freewave for sails from 4.0 - 5.5, then the Futura extends the wind range in a better way c/w the Carve.
I also reckon that the tail cutouts of the Futura will compensate for the smaller tail width of the Carve to handle the chop. The Carve will probably jibe a bit better, but that's about the only sacrifice I see.
We'll still need to verify it in practice of course. Let's hope we made the right choice.
Hope to let you know soon !

Cheers.