Old 13th April 2007, 05:15 PM   #1

Default Gun Sails

Hi all,

has anyone ever tested a Gun Sails Tempo (2 cam) ?

Would it be powerful enough for a HS 111 in light winds in 8.1 sq m?

benevent
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 08:05 PM   #2

Default RE: Gun Sails

I have a gun tempo 8.1 as well as a couple of boosters, a flash, hammers etc. all in all ~ 11 gun sails (2005/2006)

Its okay but its not really a low end sail, the booster would be better for low end usage.

u didn't post your weight so, can't be more committal
Old 13th April 2007, 08:28 PM   #3

I weigh 75 kilos. I already have a 9.5 sq m Booster and it is encumbering, since I am looking for a smaller sail to go with my HS 111, I thought that the lighter the better. Does 1 cam make such a difference ?

B.
Old 13th April 2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Floyd

Hi
Sorry to disagree but I have both Boosters and Tempo (in different sizes) Bottom end performance in sails is negligible. Booster (probably) more stable top end and harder rotation/handling.
Examinining sails they areidentical apart from the extra camber.
Tempo would be a good sail for that board.
In much bigger sizes Booaster might prove more stable (over 8.5 IMO) but upto 8 ish you wont tell difference.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 10:09 PM   #5

Thanks Guest and Floyd. Indeed the two sails look very similar in shape and if there is some weight gain+easier handling for a small difference in planing, I may well go for the Tempo in 8.1 sqm...

Anyone else with some experience of these two sails?
Old 14th April 2007, 05:10 AM   #6
WSguy

Never have I sailed these two, the tempo or the booster. However, I have a Raptor (3 cam) which I love. It gives me all the low end power I need at 235 lbs. It handles the gusts quite well, too. I don't think they are making it anymore, but they must be making something similar. The three cams do make it harder to gybe this sail, but the power was what I wanted.
WSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 04:49 PM   #7

http://www.gunsails.de/img/performance_chart.gif
seems to support my experience.
Old 17th April 2007, 01:53 AM   #8

Thanks for that.

The issue I have with Booster/Raptor is that it is a heavy sail (I own a 9.5 Raptor, actually).

Since my sailing conditions can be choppy (I admit that HS is probably not at its best there), I am looking for a sail that is not as difficult to lift as I feel the Raptor can be when waterstart is a bit tough? There in fact the programme looks right, I am just worried that the two cambers are more good looking and here for marketing than truly effective, in particular for early planing -admittedly the critical point on a HS-.

B.
Old 17th April 2007, 05:37 AM   #9
WSguy

Default RE: Raptor.

Definitely the Raptor is a heavier sail, but it isn't the waterstarting that makes me see this. In fact it keeps it's shape rather well, but it doesn't gybe easily due to the three cambers and heavy mfg.'er. Nevertheless, it is rather sturdy and I love taking it out in rough seas.
WSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 05:03 PM   #10

Raptor is already quite a few years old.

Gun replaced the raptor with the booster and the booster is quite a bit lighter in terms of hauling it out of the water (I have 7.5 ('06), 8.7('06) and 9.5('05) boosters).

The booster is not only lighter when hauling it out of the water (doesn't stick that much, catches less water) but also has quite a few nice little accessories/enchancements.