Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 1st May 2007, 05:57 PM   #11

Default RE: Neil Pryde X9

what alternative masts could you use in the pryde race sails RS6 RSS that come close to matching the X9?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 11:26 AM   #12

Gun Select 100% carbon my rs6 sails rig nicely on these masts..look very similar to the ultra x9's....both made in italy...but select comes with 2 year waranty
Old 17th May 2007, 05:29 PM   #13

I think Arrows and Tushingham are similar to X9. Can anyone confirm this?

Shane
Old 17th May 2007, 06:16 PM   #14
geo

As far as I know, mast bends can be roughly divided in just two groups: "classic constant curve" bend such as NP, and "even more constant curve" which is limited to Maui Sails and Gaastra (up to '05?).
Slighter differences may exist in the first group and much is left to the consumer to decide wheter to favour better/"perfect" compatibility or different/tailored performance (fatter/flatter bottom, looser/tighter leech...) or durability or cost or else.

Personally, I prefer not to experiment and tend to choose a sailmaker that also provides excellent spars, or whose sails do rig well on excellent spars. During past times (late '90s), I was glad to use Simmer Style slalom sails on the Fiberspar masts they were developed on; performance was OK, costs a bit less and reliability somewhat problematic (almost one warranty issue for each mast purchased). Now, I am very happy with my Maui Sails TR-3s and original SRS masts; those masts are well built, perform greatly (they have a springier effect than my previous Fiberspars and NP Matrix X9), of course warrant perfect performances to my sails and have a nicer price than many competitors.

As for the warranty issue: I would NEVER purchase a mast with only 6 months warranty. IMvvvHO, NP must be so happy with they spars that they just prefer not to part with them, and as far as I am concerned I would never hurt them by purchasing one.

As for booms, like SteveC says here above, Maui Sails' carbon ones simply have no match; maybe a bit pricey (but not that much after all), but they deserve it 200%.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2007, 02:22 PM   #15

Default RE: rs5..rs6

Hi everybody I have a RS6 7.2 and last year I was have RS5 7.2, what differences I have seen is the lenght of the boom 207cm on the RS5 and 209 on the RS6, but for the RS5 it was the good lenght (207), but the RS6 is very more long than his predecessor 210 is too short I put 212cm however more the boom is short more the control is good and when I compared the RS5 to RS6 I prefer the RS5.Why? because with the rs5 i was have more power more control than the rs6, I don't understand I'm so disappointed.Why?
Old 20th May 2007, 02:08 AM   #16

Put more downhaul on your Neilpryde RS6

Buy a crank (I dont konw if this is the right word) I mean a thing to pull your downhaul.

RS6 have a lot, I mean reallly a LOT downhaul.

I dont have RS6, but have seen a lot rs6 sails being rigged.

(I wish I could afford one...)
Old 20th May 2007, 11:42 AM   #17

there is a great opportunity for the mast manufactures to release a mast specifically for NP race sails.how hard would it be to copy the x9 mast bend?
Old 20th May 2007, 01:18 PM   #18

No hard at all. Only, one can not be 100% sure right from the start and needs to experiment, which can be expensive with masts... but maybe someone will find some good results and the new will trickle to others.
Here are some hints: http://www.peterman.dk/masts-all-imcs01.htm
Old 25th May 2007, 06:48 PM   #19

Default RE: X 9 downhaul .

Albert .
To guest who say RS6 need a lot of downhaul .
I just rig the RS6 trying to reach 2 cm short of the recommened max
downhaul . Wow - It break two of my old trusty carbon long extension !
What should I do now . Please tell me Help !
Old 26th May 2007, 02:31 AM   #20

get another extension- preferably not a np one.