Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 15th April 2007, 04:02 AM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default the toes up thing

Why when i see pictures of people sailing, do i see their front foot always pulling up (it seams). I never really pull up to the extend that they do. Are all of these toes up shots taken while heading upwind? Is there any benefit to doing this toes up thing?

Thanks in advance
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 04:25 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: the toes up thing

Hi Thomas,
Sailors who are going really fast, regardless of the course (upwind, broad reaching, off the wind) curl their toes to ensure that their foot does not come out of the footstrap.
When sailing upwind, on a wider board like your GO 139, if you "pull up" with your front foot, and push across the top of the board/fin with your back foot, allowing virtually all of your weight to be suspended from the rig by your harness and lines, you can "cant the fin" slightly to leeward at the top (very slightly) and use the significantly better upwind drive the fin generates with a little downwind "cant" to rip upwind much higher and faster than you can using any other technique.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 10:19 AM   #3
windsurferdagg

wow thanks! I will have to try that next time im out. Great that you remembered my Go 139 lol I guess i do ask a lot of questions. Speaking of which, is there any down side to having a tall mast extension? My mast extention is pretty big and goes from 2 cm taller to 42 cm bigger. Will that do anything to the mast? Or will I get any less performance? Can I rig a 490 sail on my 460 just because my mast extension goes up 42 cm?
Old 15th April 2007, 12:24 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
The reason that the WS hardware guys make stubby (appox. 4" long inside the mast), short (approx. 15 cm of adjustment), medium (approx. 25-28 cm of adjustment), and tall (approx. 45-48 cm of adjustment) is so that you do not have more than about 15 cm of extension up inside your mast.
If you put a tall extension set at < 25 cm inside your mast, you end up "stiffening" the bottom of the mast so it cannot bend the way it needs to because it has a stiff extension inside it, which will not allow the mast to bend all the way down to near the base.
This can cause some real problems with sails that have a low foot batten as the batten won&#39;t rotate correctly because the mast is too stiff. It can also take alot of shape out of the bottom of some sails.
If you are using a 48 cm extension on your 6.6 m2 rig, with a 460 mast, you really need to get either a medium or short extension (depends on the luff length of your sail) to get the best shape and batten rotation in the lower part of your sail.
Can you use a 42 cm extension on your 460 cm mast to make it into a 490?
That depends.
If your sail is designed for a 490 luff length on a 460 cm mast with 30 cm of extension, then yes you can do this very nicely as it&#39;s the way the sail was designed. A 460 cm mast has a 12% bend ratio, and is rated IMCS 24-26.
If your sail is designed for more that 508 cm luff length, or is designed for a 490 cm IMCS 28-30 mast, then no your mast will be far too soft and you won&#39;t get the correct tension and shaping of the panels in the sail as the sail was designed to work on a much stiffer mast (490 cm IMCS 28-30).
Hope this helps,
Old 15th April 2007, 08:56 PM   #5
windsurferdagg

ok. I have the 6.6 at a 483 luff. My mast as you know is a 460. So would you recomend getting a shorter mast extension before getting a 430 mast and a smaller boom and 5.0, 5.9ish sails?

Old 15th April 2007, 09:47 PM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
I can&#39;t prioritize for you, but if you want to get the most from your 6.6 m2 rig, I&#39;d think about getting a medium extension.
Right now it sounds like you are going up 23 cm (460 cm + 23 cm = 483 cm) on your 42 cm extension which is only slightly more than half way.
Since your extension has probably another 12-14 cm above the top setting (so there adequate extension up the mast at the highest setting) you are getting about 30 cm up inside your mast.
So, the lowest 30 cm (approx.) of your mast is not able to bend as it&#39;s "reinforced" by the extension inside.
Getting a shorter extension might improve the low end power of your rig.
Since you don&#39;t have any sails that need a taller extension at the moment, and seem to be looking for some smaller rigs, I&#39;d suggest the medium extension be moved to the top of your list.
Keep the tall extension, because when you get a 7.0-8.0 m2 rig, that goes on a 460 mast, you will need the tall extension.
The same applies to getting a smaller sail that needs a 430 cm mast.
430 cm masts are IMCS 19-23, and are significantly "softer" than your 460 cm IMCS 24-26.
Yes, you can extend the head cap on most sails under 6.0 m2, and use them on a longer mast, but the mast being &#39;too stiff" will not allow you to get the sail to rig as the designer intended.
You can play around with downhaul and outhaul "tuning" when using a mast with the wrong bend characteristics, and sometimes get the sail to actually work decently, but you probably cannot achieve the full performance, and tuning range.
At some point, you will have one of each size extensions (stubby, short, medium, and tall), and one of each size masts (400/430/460/490) so everything will rig and tune to give you the full performance.
Hope this helps,
Old 15th April 2007, 10:23 PM   #7
windsurferdagg

thanks roger. you have really helped me out. I am actually about to buy a used windwing 7.5 and since its mine pretty much now, i didn&#39;t count it. It also rigs on a 460! which is good.

Thanks so much for your help

Thomas
Old 16th April 2007, 12:28 PM   #8
Del Carpenter

Thank you, Roger, for the mast extension explanation, and thank you, Windsurferdagg, for bringing up the question.

I have not paid attention before to how much extension is in my masts. I&#39;ve wondered why some of my sails have such a poor bottom shape. I know now I&#39;ve often robbed power from my sails with too much extension in the mast.
Del Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 08:23 PM   #9
windsurferdagg

lol np mate