Old 29th April 2007, 03:52 AM   #11
Randy

Default RE: Serenity

Jean-Marc perhaps you and I were separated at birth - we both like the same kind of boards. (Hypersonic and Serenity). I've sailed my Serenity 14 times now, with sails from 6.0 to 8.5, but mostly with 7.4. With the large fin the 8.5 was really unecessary. I don't know if Serenity "planes", yet it can move very fast riding mostly above the water, on the fin. In that mode, the board is challenging, and even sort of scary. More fun is lighter winds (say 5-10 mph) when it can really fly and be a real pleasure to sail with 7.4.

As for 10-15, it can be sailed in that range, though I think a conventional board would be more fun.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2007, 09:26 AM   #12

Roger
I am definitely going to try the Serenity. But if that does not work out, what board do you think would be the best for me to replace the Mistral Malibu?
I have a Mistral Flow for higher winds and need a board for low winds up to 15 knots at which point the Mistral Flow takes over.
I have sails up to 10 meter. What do you think?
And by the way did you go to Bonaire this year and how was it?
Thanks Alena
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2007, 05:10 AM   #13
clarkr2

Hello all;
Does anybody know where the Serenity might be "test-driven" this summer, in Eastern Canada or in the Northeastern U.S. ?
Clark,
Montréal
clarkr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2007, 07:54 AM   #14
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Clark,
The "A Taste of Windsurfing" and Starboard/Sailworks demo tour will be just down the road from you in Plattsburgh, NY on July 7-8th.
We will be working with APVM (Montreal WS Club) and the
Adirondak Boardsailing Club.
Also, if you travel to Hatteras, the new Sailworld Avon shop (between Villiage Video and Nino's Pizza) has at least one Serenity in their demo fleet.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:50 PM   #15

I've got a Kona - extremely versatile board. Excellent in the 15-20 knot range planing, and reasonably nice in say 8-12 knots cruising with a 6 to 7.5 m sail. It won't plane nearly as early as a Formula or even quite as early as a big freeride will, but it 'slogs' way faster - but not nearly as quick as the Serenity. If I lived where the wind was seldom over 10 or 12 knots, the Serenity would be way more fun I'm sure (I've never sailed one yet). The Kona is pretty bulletproof too, whereas the Serenity sounds a bit fragile - I expect it feels a bit like sailing a violin - I doubt you want to try chucking it around. Must be great to take on keelboats in light airs though! Anyone done that yet?
Morley
Old 2nd May 2007, 12:52 PM   #16

I've got a Kona - extremely versatile board. Excellent in the 15-20 knot range planing, and reasonably nice in say 8-12 knots cruising with a 6 to 7.5 m sail. It won't plane nearly as early as a Formula or even quite as early as a big freeride will, but it 'slogs' way faster - but not nearly as quick as the Serenity. If I lived where the wind was seldom over 10 or 12 knots, the Serenity would be way more fun I'm sure (I've never sailed one yet). The Kona is pretty bulletproof too, whereas the Serenity sounds a bit fragile - I expect it feels a bit like sailing a violin - I doubt you want to try chucking it around. Must be great to take on keelboats in light airs though! Anyone done that yet?
Morley
Old 7th May 2007, 03:38 AM   #17

As Roger noted, the Kona is no match for the Serenity in subplanning. In fact the Kona is no match for ANY dedicated board in the conditions these boards are made for. Comparing the Kona to the Serenity in subplanning is like comparing the Kona to an Evo in waves. The Kona however does both.
The strength of the Kona is its scope, both for sailing conditions and rider's level. If you can afford a quiver and always have the right board at the right time with you – don’t buy a Kona.

Any chance that the Serenity will come as a two parts assembly?

Ilan