Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 9th May 2007, 01:42 AM   #11
finsail

Send a message via Yahoo to finsail
Default RE: Kashy Formula Fins XXS

I've never tried a kashey but I'm told by top sailors they are "sweet".
I think it's great Dave has built a better mouse trap BUT I think it's a severe blow to the sport that to have the most competative fin you have to spend $700.00 usd yup that's right $700.00 USD (that's twice a new deb by the way) And you get to wait a year to receive delivery.
I'm not a competative racer and don't care to be as formula is most definitely an "ARMS RACE"
Not bitter I just think it's another step in the wrong direction.
Let's see
L-7 2000.00
North 11.0 1200.00
Mast 700.00
Boom 700.00
fin 700.00
AHHH 5300.00 and thats just the beginning
finsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 05:36 AM   #12
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

So long life for the FE Class.

Welcome to the Worlds in Estonia next august.

Complete equipment for less than 2500€

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 03:08 PM   #13
Expander

--

Naturally, I'm not against innovation (when it really means improvement) but, regarding Kashy Formula fins, I think we have reached a level of collective hysteria.

What I criticize is not (ridiculous) pricing or (controversial) performances but fact that many people are singing the praises of a product "NON-EXIXSTENT": because, in my opinion, a product with a null availability and extremely long manufacturing times may be considered as "NON-EXIXSTENT", in one way or another as "IMAGINARY".

At this point, I ask if this collective hysteria could be counterproductive for Formula and if may be yet considered in line with its spirit.

- Expander.
Expander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 07:09 PM   #14
barks

I think Expander raises a really important point here. While I am as guilty as any (I own Deboichet and Kashy fins) I agree that the lack of availability and the way some of these fins are being built and distributed make them almost impossible for all but the very best connected (or richest) to get.

Considering the FW class where all boards and sails should meet certain rules to make sure they are "production" (i.e. anyone can buy what the pro's use) maybe that ought to be the case with fins a well. There is no doubt that fins have a pretty large impact/influence on the performance of the entire gear package. On the contrary this would of course make it very hard for guys like Dave Kashy to develop and sell fins and thus it may hinder development of better gear, at least in regards to fins. But there is imo no doubt that the current fin situation is not really consistent with what I believe was a main point in FW sailing: that anyone could get what the pro's have. I do not really want one-design racing either, as I believe a wider choice of gear makes it easier for people of different build sail well, but that sure does mean they have to have access to that wider range of gear.
barks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 12:27 AM   #15

Default RE: WET Spring Regatta

Any results posted anywhere?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 12:32 AM   #16

If you were a fin builder with x hours in the week to devote to work, family, fun and fin building and your demand for fins was going through the roof (100+ orders)- of course you will raise the price . It cuts into your work, family, and fun time. You have to put a price on that. Furthermore the market supports the price with just a few people canceling their orders due to price increase.
Kashy fins are almost always at the top of the fleet- you have to pay for that!
Old 10th May 2007, 01:13 AM   #17

mid winter: 1 st antoine albeau: deboichet fins
santa paola:europeens: 1st julien quentel:deboichet fins
portimao:eurocup: 1st steve allen : deboichet fins
Old 10th May 2007, 01:14 AM   #18
barks

It's not so much the price I see a a problem; imo the problem is the availability even if you can afford them. Most often a garage operation doesn't turn out enough fins to satisfy demand, even if that demand is somewhat reduced by the market/price. As it is there is still unsatisfied demand, and probably would be even at a considerably higher price.

I'm not advocating banning Kashy fins or something like that; on the contrary. But I would love if Dave could/would find a way of turning out more fins (maybe by scaling up production if proper help can be found?) someway so that those willing to pay would actually get the fins.
barks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 07:14 PM   #19

a new fast fin can make that two to four year old board faster than the 2007 suff.
I also had a Deb that would not work at all on my 06 f2. Tried it on my 175 and was able to pass most of the guys on 07 stuff.
Old 11th May 2007, 12:38 AM   #20

Barks has the idea,
Wouldn't it be great if dave kashy were to work with Mike Z and Quadruple production!!
I'm sure Mike Z could use more work and become involved in the R+D and testing.
Wow the best fins AND boards in the world built right here in the bay area by Mike Z.
I'll be first in line to buy the used/proto stuff as I can't afford new.
Damn rent!!