Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 8th May 2007, 06:08 AM   #11
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default RE: the 30 knot day...

http://bp3.blogger.com/_pf0ntQsB6Es/Rj-xB0DniBI/AAAAAAAAABE/4YXHyoXnCg8/s1600-h/DSCN2056.JPG

that is what it was like at 11:15, the wind picked up later in the day, but it was around 26ish knots than. So with gusts, 30ish. Oh and its me trying to figure out how to do the stupid strap so it would fit my bootie. No luck so i chucked them and whet barefoot. My mistake as I cut my damn foot on a zebra muscle. AIYA!
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 08:12 AM   #12
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

Quote:
windsurferdagg wrote:
where is that? that looks awsome to sail. Big body of water.
Hatteras

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 08:42 PM   #13
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
After looking at your photos, and reading the posts from the other guys, I have more questions than I can develop answers to.
First, what precisely is the problem you are having getting your back foot into the strap?
Have you ever been able to to this (get in the back strap) in any sort of conditions?
As far as getting into the back strap first, some people actually do that, but I tend to agree with Phil 104 that learning to get into the front strap first is the preferred method.
Why.....?
Because leads to a "progression" as you move back on your board.
Once you have your front foot in the strap you are "anchored" and can take your time getting into the back strap.
Also, the back strap first method may work in super high winds, but you will soon be learning to waterstart, and you can then put both feet in the straps (if necessary) before you show the sail to the wind and once you are up, you will be in both straps. This is a very "extreme methodology" but when you get stuck out on the water with too much sail/fin/board, you do whatever works.
As for analyzing your photos, part of your stance problem is simply the fact that you aren't in the rear footstrap.
If you were in the back and outboard footstrap it would turn your body more parallel with the boards centerline, help to sheet your sail the rest of the way in and rake it back so you get more lift to slide your board over the chop.
The bent arms are not good, and indicate to me that you aren't committing to your harness, but when you get in strong gusty winds, we all do it to one degree or another.
Also, since you have an older rig, which wasn't made to "twist off at the top" you power in the sail may be higher in the sail and perhaps a bit further behind mast.
As far as the surface conditions, and what that means, you can really find virtuall any sort of surface condtions when you are that close to shore. The geography and wind direction can combine to make it a true 30 knots in very flat water (the speedsailing sites in Australia and France are good examples) or 30 knots in waist high chop (in side onshore conditions like o2bnme's soundside Hatteras photo).
So, most important, what keeps you from sliding your foot into the back footstrap?
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 01:08 AM   #14
Duracell

Yup, thats what 30+ kts looks like . Looks more like WF 8, but no big difference. Pics are similar, flat - or - wavy (< 1.5 mtrs) from afar. Surfing is different but not THAT different. The further out you are flat (offshore winds mind u) becomes chop (50 mtrs from beach) becomes waves (200 mtrs from beach and so on). Usually only one end of your turn is flat, the other will be quite "choppy".

As to the back foot in footstraps, you usually do that after a -not perfect but standing- gybe (of course you could dump the sail in that case and water start, but in OP&#39;d condiditions I&#39;d prefer staying ON the board).

One reason for back foot first is that you slide your board with the wind NOT GAINING any speed (some people call it spin out, I call it sliding) which in survial conditions adds to the "feeling good groove", then, when in control and in the straps you open the throttle as far as you dare (again, survial mode getting you in one piece home or though one helluva gust). Okay, there is one downfall, if you screw up you&#39;ll do a nose plant in your sail leewards of the board, but you&#39;re learning right?B) and, what other option did u have?

Quote:
The bent arms are not good, and indicate to me that you aren&#39;t committing to your harness, but when you get in strong gusty winds, we all do it to one degree or another.
Downforce Downforce Downforce Downforce Downforce Downforce Downforce

low center of gravity, hang it out with your harness <=> longer lines.

I would almost bet that one of the most common -everyone but the pros does it mistake- is lack of donwforce when schlogging (gybing, in general). Just try applying tons of downforce when schlogging and notice what a difference it makes.

When it comes to gybing (especially in o2bnme&#39;s conditions) DONWFORCE is THE WAY to go. Nothing like bouncing over a few waves till coming to an almost halt and then gybing down the face of a wave...

Don&#39;t want to hog this thread too much but:
in 30+ kts with chop (e.g. <=1mtr) carving a "vroom" gybe is something you have to work on and will sooner or later involve learning the DOWNFORCE lesson, so, why wait?

(I did assume you were already capable of riding in the back straps, 30 kts would otherwise be a very short lived experience...)
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 02:10 AM   #15
Phill104

windsurferdagg,

As usual, Roger is spot on the mark. He has a way of putting things in words that I can never manage.

Take a look at the footstrap articles by Guy Cribb, might give you some things to think about.

http://www.guycribb.com/windsurfing_...VD_0076v01.htm

Not all agree with some of his ideas (including myself, he has very fixed ideas with no room for individuality especially when it comes to the harness and lines) but he does give some very good advice and there is no doubt that he is an extremely good teacher and windsurfer. Everyone has different opinions and that is a good thing IMO.

Another great learning resource is the Peter Hart DVDs. His commentary is superb and funny while instructional. One of the best.

http://www.peter-hart.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 07:35 AM   #16
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

Roger, i was out tonight with my old 6.6 and got my first throguh 25ith waterstart. I had someone show me and I just got them right away. Waterstarting is actually really easy once you get your first one. My problem was i could never get the rig flying. But that was explained and now, BAM waterstarting and BAM back foot almost in. I can get my toes in, but usually when that happens, i miss the strap completly (cause i keep telling myself, let them see me miss not me) or get catipulted cause im not doing it fast enough i think. But today was awsome. I was overpowered again (since i don&#39;t have anything between a 6.6 and a 5.0...) but it was a great learing experience.

I was explained and people watched me put my foot in the back strap. I should put my foot right beside the strap and kind of twist in instead of lifting my foot quilckly like I do every time. I have the not looking part, I think I understand what you mean by commiting to the harness (i now try and see if I can take a hand off or not and that tells me) and its working better now that i really lean into it with out any arms.

Next time im going for some jibes. Now that I can waterstart, I don&#39;t really worry about falling so it seems the whole sport is more open to me now...

Tks everyone for their help and comments

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote