Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 6th May 2007, 11:03 AM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default the 30 knot day...

Hey roger!

I got out today on my 5.0 (its an old sail) and my Go 139... super powered up, it was a blast. I got sailing, into the front strap but still can't get into that back one... and was pretty happy until the wind shifted. Large chop started building up. Up to knee high in some cases. Going upwind on the go was a chore and a half. Bouncing around everywhere, randomly catching air (and with the back foot not in the footstrap... BAM). I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to "smooth things over" with my board and chop. Downwind is fine as you just seem to pick up speed and skip over them, but upwind isn't as fun.

attached is a picture of me sailing around with my Go. It is a great board, the more powered up, the faster it wants to go. It just seems to keep accelerating!!!

also if you can critique my stance. I think if i raise the boom up a bit more and kind of straighten my legs, i will have a more controled stance. Especially when i get in that GD back strap!
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2007, 11:06 AM   #2
windsurferdagg

Default RE: the 30 knot day...

i can't seem to get the picture, so try http://www.flickr.com/photos/8134687@N02/485678833/ untill i can figure the damn thing out
Old 6th May 2007, 06:06 PM   #3
crazychemical

I also have problems getting in the back footstrap so i usually place my foot in the centre. However, when the board starts bouncing around a bit, it's safer to put in on the rear strap in the beginning, to get the feel, later u can then put it in the footstrap, once you find the propper position to stand in.
What fin did u use for the 5.0? Whenever i put my 5.5 on my go i use a 40 cm fin (a bit short but i've never had a spinn out with it).
You sailed 30 knots with a 5.0? .... dude .... Even i wouldn't try that, i might use it in like 25-26 knots ... and even then i'd be taking risks, especially with the go.
Old 7th May 2007, 12:28 AM   #4
Duracell

foreword
------------
30 kts is quite a bit of wind.
30 kts is a hell of a lot of wind for a go 139 & 5.0 (PERIOD)!

I was out today in winds gusting to 35 and more kts on a K86 and 4.2 at 86 Kg. That was well proportionened (not formula racing).
At least I saw it that way, others weren't having as much fun due to some of the following:
- too short lines
- too much volume/sailor weight

You can surf a wide board in 30 kts but it will end up in mast forward, boom down, always trying to go upwind with your tail between your hind legs, whining home.

answers
-----------
- when wind is up so much that you get kind of scared to get going you should get into your back footstrap first (yes before planing)(you will even get into your front straps before planing)(plus tip below).
- make sure your harness lines are long enough (not like 22 or less but really more like 24, 26 or even better 28). Why? Becuase that way you can hang down more on your rig applying enough downforce to prevent your board from trying a tail walk. You otherwise stand upright aplying no downforce whatsoever and enjoy being a passenger instead of pilot.
- hard work keeping board down == tail walk! Only remedy against that besides changing fin & or board: mast forward, apply massive amounts of downforce through your harness. If you can't: opening your sail will only make things worse!
- oh yeah, wide board == masive lift from wind flowing under the board. Keep that windward rail down or it won't be a theroectical possiblitiy: it will lift you including your board straight out of the water. WACK and then SPLASH and then you can check and see if all parts are still intact.
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 06:46 AM   #5
Phill104

Quote:
Duracell wrote:

answers
-----------
- when wind is up so much that you get kind of scared to get going you should get into your back footstrap first (yes before planing)(you will even get into your front straps before planing)(plus tip below).
Really bad habit to get into. Do it the correct way from the start and you wont end up having to modify your technique later on. Try that on a wave board and you will end up in real trouble.

Quote:
Duracell wrote:

- make sure your harness lines are long enough (not like 22 or less but really more like 24, 26 or even better 28). Why? Becuase that way you can hang down more on your rig applying enough downforce to prevent your board from trying a tail walk. You otherwise stand upright aplying no downforce whatsoever and enjoy being a passenger instead of pilot.
Everyone has a different style, hook height etc. If the rider is quite short and has short arms then 22 might be the right choice.

windsurferdagg,

Read back through Rogers' posts on this subject and you will find some great tips. It also looks like you could do with a little more downhaul but it's hard to tell from your pic. You are sailing with bent arms though, try tor relax and keep the front arm straight. Sheeting in a little more maybe by moving the lines back a little also helps with control (again, it's hard to tell from your pic)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2007, 07:38 AM   #6
windsurferdagg

lol that wasn't the picture that was supposed to be ther... lol, that was me about to get catipulted I think. Usually i try to get my arms more bent, but the wind was awfully gusty. I think i need a smaller board too. That might help. The actual picture i wanted to post was uh... il find a way to post it soon. As for the downhaul thing, my sail that i used there was my learning sail, the beat up sail. It is rigged on an aluminum :-O mast.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_pf0ntQsB6Es/Rj0TckDnh9I/AAAAAAAAAAk/LtJCkQW2Ar0/s1600-h/DSCN2115.JPG

try that, that is the picture i wanted to be critiqued on. lol i think its a bit better, i have more body wieght away from the rig. I was using around 24-26 inch lines. Hard to tell with adjustable.

Thanks for your advice and help everyone,

Thomas
Old 7th May 2007, 03:08 PM   #7
Duracell

Quote:
Really bad habit to get into. Do it the correct way from the start and you wont end up having to modify your technique later on. Try that on a wave board and you will end up in real trouble.
hmm,
- we are talking overpowered to way overpowered (survival) arent't we, not everyday surfing??
- don't know what the pros do, but other very experienced surfers do it that way too
- doesn't work with wave boards, you mean you can't get it to work in survival conditions??

Center of gravity man (keep it LOW)

Quote:
Everyone has a different style, hook height etc. If the rider is quite short and has short arms then 22 might be the right choice.
Center of gravity man (keep it LOW), we are still talking overpowered.

In General
-------------
One more thing: What I see quite frequently at the beach are people with their harness lines WIDE apart (like 2-3 hands). Thats what I call "cheating". Cheating because they don't even bother to find the "sweet spot". That ends up in 1 more problem when things get rough. When things get rough there is only 1 most important thing: CONTROL!

windsurferdagg / picture
----------------------------
looks like
- boom too low
- hard to tell but if are you commiting 100% to your lines (I think not)
- having your arms bent is something for downforcing when entering/executing a gybe. When planing downforce should be issued by your harness only
- harnes lines how far apart?
- was that in something like 12-16kts? For sure not 30+ kts.
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 03:50 AM   #8
windsurferdagg

oh that wasn't the 30 knot winds there. That was at the beginning where the waves or chop was blocked by the pier that went out. It was cool, you could touch bottom, the wind was there but no massive chop. The wind reader we have at one of the sailing clubs registered a peek at 32 knots every 14 or so minutes when it posted its report on the site. I doubt it was 30 knots most of the time, but gusts were over 30 knots later in the day. At the beginning or where i was sailing there, it was more 24-27 knots.

Boom was too low, it was a learning sail and i need a new one cause that is as high as it goes...

I don't really get the commiting 100% to the harness thing. My arms were not pulling or holding me up if but that might be a different thing.

my harness lines are around 3 inchs apart...

and last question as i said before, from the angle where my dad took the photos, it doesn't look as windy. i can't get planning on a 5.0 in 16 knots... thats more 6.6 territory
Old 8th May 2007, 05:17 AM   #9
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

For comparison purposes, this is 30 knots minus the protection.

I sailed for 10 minutes in this stuff before giving up. My cousin made it 5 minutes.

Normally, the foreground is high and dry. There was enough wind to push the water across the body of water and up onto shore.

When the wind died down altogether, the water 30 feet from shore was knee deep. In this picture, it was shoulder deep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 07:00 AM   #10
windsurferdagg

where is that? that looks awsome to sail. Big body of water.