Old 14th May 2007, 09:34 PM   #1
Per

Default Formula for freeriding

Hi..
I'm thinking about getting a formula board (probably a used one). I won't compete on it but enjoy the early planing (a lot of TOW;-) and thrill in low winds.
Any experience about which of the newer or older formulas are good for a good (freeriding) blast? I don't plan to get the newest 100% carbon 100%$ rig... Just pure fun.
The free formulas and F-types aren't on the market in Denmark, so I guess I will go for a pure formula board.

Are the older ones like 175 og 186 any use if I don't compete??
I'm 97 kgs and experienced.

Any feed back is appreciated.

Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 10:37 PM   #2
Krister

Default RE: Formula for freeriding

From older models I think the X-186 is quite good for recreational sailing. It is a bit longer and has a more gradual increase in speed when going from non-planing to planing, i.e. there is no need to pop the board out of the water.
This is also true for the Apollo which doesn't require heavy pumping to get going, instead one can just ease the board onto a plane. This board also works very well with sails around 10.0, you still get early planning and it is less tireing compared to larger sails.
Krister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 01:35 AM   #3
barks

Default RE: Formula for freeriding

I'd say pick up one of the 160's that are for sale in Denmark at the moment. Alternatively I actually think that Surfline in Aarhus has a used FF148 around that you could take a look at. While a 160 won't be practically free like a 175 might they'll be a totally different board. I'm using mine a lot, mostly fully wound for formula training but also sometimes just cruising with less sail/power than I would for a regatta. I'm 95kg and will get going in about 5m/s with a drafty sail like a 9.8 V8 and a bit of pumping, but also be able to leverage the weight and not have to get off that gear until I can easily jump on something a lot smaller. By that time I believe you would be well into the 7-range on your S-type.

Actually I also find that the 160 goes crosswind pretty comfortably as long a you're not fully wound up; and if you're just after relatively early planing lots of fins (like the stock one) would work.
barks is offline   Reply With Quote