Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 1st May 2007, 07:33 AM   #1
Alena

Default To Roger Choice of light wind board

Hello Roger
How are you ? Could you advise me on choosing a light wind board?
I have a Mistral Malibu that I like a lot but I am told I could do better. It is 1996.
I am looking for a board that will plane in very low winds and continue to be fun through 15 knots at which point I switch to my Mistral Flow.
I do not want a lot of junk to accumulate so need the perfect board.
I windsurf OK , weigh 130 pounds
Again the main point is planing in low winds maybe 6-9 knots. In 10 knots I plane on the Malibu and with 10 meter sail.
By the way how was your trip to Bonaire?
Thanks Alena
Alena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Default RE: To Roger Choice of light wind board

Alena,

Not Roger but if you really want to be planing in true 6 knots of wind, I guess the ultimate board for that is the Apollo coupled with an 11 sqm sail and its soft 75 cm fin. Can't say it will still be fun in 15 knots of wind with say an 8.x sail for your 58 kg, however...

I've tested iSonic 133 and with my 65 kg, I can be planing as low as 7 knots of constant wind with NP RX2 10.6 sail and a 54 cm fin. At the other extreme in 20 knots with a NP RS1 6.6 sail and its stock 40 cm fin, it's becoming a bit of a challenge to keep control and jibe in steep chop owing to its hard and tick rails for my light weight (no problem with a thinner and more soft-railed HS105 of ± similar width). So, for your 58 kg, I have no doubt it'll be much more efficient and enjoyable in true 7-15 knots of wind than your old '96 long and narrow Mistral Malibu.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 06:50 PM   #3
MA_Pete

Alena:

The iSonic 133 is not a bad choice, but I would suggest iSonic 155 for earliest planing, if you are using a 10M sail. I have the F-Type 148 which is basically the 2006 version of the same board. It planes as early as anything that is not a full-on Formula board.

-Pete

MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 07:16 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Alena,
I'm fine, just very busy getting ready to go "on the road" for a couple of months touring the US with "A Taste of Windsurfing and the Starboard/Sailworks Demo Tour.
I pretty much agree with the other guys here, if you really want to plane in the lightest winds, the Apollo woild be a good choice, but I'm pretty sure you would not like it as a "one board solution" beyond about 10-12 knots. It's also new and expensive.
Another board, if you could find one, that would be very good would be the 2004 Free Formula 138. It's 96 cm wide, fairly thin, and would plane very early for someone your weight.
Beyond these 2 boards, I think the F-Type 138/148 that MA-Pete is suggesting or the Isonic 133 that JM is suggesting are going to be your best choices.
If you want something more like your Mistral Malibu, with a centerboard, then the Apollo 222 (301 cm long) would be a board that gives you alot of what you have with the Malibu, but will plane earlier and give you the ability to sail around in very light winds using the centerboard.
I'm a bit surprized that you are using a 10 m2 rig.....? What brand sail and mast are you using....?
You are a fairly small woman, and I'd think even a modern 10.0 m2 would about kill you with it's weight.
I truly believe there are a few 8.5-9.5 m2 rigs that would get you planing just as early (maybe earlier due to the lighter weight) without the strain of uphauiing such a large heavy sail.
Bonaire was wonderful, but we didn't have as much wind this year as in previous years.
That was nice for me as I took an Isonic 122 and 101 with 8.5 m2 NX slm; 7.5 m2 Retro; 6.6/5.6/4.8 m2 Huckers and so I was able to plane when no one else seemed to be able to, and I had a nicley powered setup each day.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 09:37 PM   #5
RobSwift

Roger, will you be stopping in New England during that tour? I might stop by to say hello.
RobSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 10:26 PM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Rob,
Nothing planned for New England at the moment....Sorry!
Closest that I get right now is Atlantic City, NJ (Extreme Windsurfing)
the weekend of June 2nd & 3rd.
I'll also be heading to upstate New York for an event with the Adirondak Boardsailing Club/Montreal WS Club (APVM) in Plattsburgh, New York on July 7th/8th.
None of the shops in the New England region seem to be willing to ask for demo events or "A Taste of Windsurfing".
R
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 11:00 PM   #7
Alena

Hi Roger
Nice to hear from you . You are so lucky to have gone to Bonaire, next year I will see you there.
Are you coming to New England this year? Please do it is not bad here for about one month of good weather.
Thanks for the advice.
The reason for the 10 meter sail is my desperation to make the board plane. Plus I got it used and near new condition it is a beautiful Sailworks Retro.
Before that I had a free 10 meter sail and it was triangular with a large sleeve and tried to kill me few times so it is a definite step up with my new sail. It is all relative.
The new board choice is enough to drive one crazy and periodically I decide to just forget it. Plus the new boards are expensive. My two Mistrals cost 1000$ each and they were the top back than.Now it is more like 2000$
I am in the wrong business.
Hope to see you
Alena
Alena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 02:56 AM   #8
Karen

Hi Alena

I weigh a little bit more than you (62 kg). Two years ago I bought upon Roger's advice a second hand Free Formula 138 Wood 2004. Paired with a 9.0m² Sailworks Retro, I can plane from 7 knots on with a far from perfect technique. I spent 800 euro at the time.
I am still very pleased with it!

Have fun!

Karen

Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 05:47 PM   #9
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Karen,

I'm curious to know what fin did you use to be planing as of 7 knots with your combo ?

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 02:23 AM   #10
Karen

Bonjour Jean-Marc!

www.hurricanefins.de
Type: 5A
63cm

It works!

Grz