Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 13th May 2007, 06:12 AM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default why not ask the pros?

I have a couple of what look like scratches on my wetsuit from some bad catipults. It has sliced the rubber almost all the way through. Is there any way to combat the tear? I can just imagine every time i get in and out, the tears will, well tear more!

Also, I have an older 6.6 and have been going out in pretty overpowering conditions. I can't seem to downhaul or outhaul it anymore without damaging the sail, but im still way overpowered. Today was around 21 knots, and since I don't have a 5.8, I was hanging on for dear life with my Go 139 bouncing around like crazy over the chop and me struggling to learn how to really cruise (ie get into BOTH straps and into the harness blasting). Do you have any tips for sailing in stuff like that? I can understand if it was a constant wind, but its very gusty (going from 18-25 knots easily). I hate getting catipulted and would really like it to stop. It cuts my wetsuit, cuts my skin etc....

Thanks for the help, and anyone can answer,

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 08:05 AM   #2
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default RE: why not ask the pros?

http://www.isthmussailboards.com/pro...?number=ON0146

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 08:53 AM   #3
windsurferdagg

BEAUTY!!!! tks o2bnme

Anyone have any tips on the overpowering conditions? Buying a new rig is not an option. I am saving up for a 5.9 or someting around that. I have a 7.6, 6.6, 5.0 (its an old one mind...) and my Go 139.

Thomas
Old 13th May 2007, 09:57 AM   #4
steveC

Hi Thomas,

While I'm not considered a pro, you might want to consider a smaller fin to mitigate overpowering conditions. Of course a smaller sail makes adjusting to higher wind much easier, you would be surprised what a smaller fin can do, and at a fraction of the cost that might be involved with a smaller sail and mast.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 10:00 AM   #5
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

Wow... regarding the overpowering conditions... in 21 knots, I would be looking at using my 4.8. I weigh in at 65 kg at my heaviest. Just last weekend, I was sailing on a 91 liter board with my 4.8. The conditions, while gusty, were steadier than usual on our local lake. (This is on fresh water.)

Others were using sails up to 6.0, but most of the big guys were using 5.0 - 5.6.

Sorry... I'm not offering suggestions, but just my experience with that much wind. If I remember correctly, you are pretty close to my body weight???

Someone used my handheld wind meter, which registered 18-24mph for them. I never bothered to get a reading... 24mph is 21 knots I believe.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 10:30 AM   #6
windsurferdagg

ya i think i am the same body wieght. I am 6 foot and 145-150 (soaking wet). I wouldn't normally be on a rig that big, but it ment sailing and not sailing. It was around 16 knots at first and I like my 6.6 in that wind, but man it picked up, the chop got bigger and I was struggling with my big board etc. interesting seeing your quiver. 6.6 down to 5.6 than 4.8 do you find that there is a big difference between them? what would you use your 6.6 for? seeing as we are around the same body wieght.

Thomas
Old 13th May 2007, 03:29 PM   #7
Duracell

- center of gravity low == hard to get catapulted
- center of gravity low == easier to get into back straps (cause YOU are in control)
- commit 110% to your lines, your arms won't help you much
- smaller fin works well too
- mast further forward helps
- keep an eye on that windward rail, don't let it get more than level
- I wouldn't put the boom too low (I never go under shoulder height)
since you can already waterstart you should consider getting into the straps before planing (in overpowered condiditons), you already have a feeling for hanging low from the sail

Its all about control, lack of it -> catapult
Control is when you are in charge == low center of gravity (no sail is going to pull you over).

I know when you try it its a bit scary, but do give it an honest hour or two. You will end up flying faster than before in stronger winds with larger than expected gear.

And as stated before never underestimate the advantage of loads of downforce generated by low center of gravity.

(a few days ago I also had a lovely 18-22kts session on an ST137 with an 8.7 3cam free race sail in up to man high mushy waves weighing ~ 86 Kg. Most of the others gave up with smaller boards and sails (who started out with me when wind wasn't up yet). In those conditions you can still do a bit of blasting and carve through your gybes. This has something to do with technique and will. If you don't have the will to learn the technique you won't get there).

one more thing: over powered ==
- helmet
- floatation vest
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 02:18 AM   #8
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Thomas,

With your 65 kg, I think you're hitting the max usable range of your combo Go139 +6.6 sail up to 21 knots. You might be better in control with a smaller fin (something about 40 cm or less). For up to 25 knots, this is gonna be pretty challenging with your light weight and I think you should be on a much smaller sail, e.g., 5.5 sqm with an even smaller fin than 40 cm.

FYI with my 65 kg on HS105 : race 6.6 sail or wave 6.2 sail with 32 or 26 cm fin in 15-20 knots of wind. For 20-25 knots of wind, I use a wave 5.4 sail and 26 cm fin on such a large board, which is becoming the upper limit before damaging either the board or myself.

To further prevent catapult, it's super important to downhaul your sail to the maximum to be able to release extra power in sudden gusts.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 06:20 AM   #9
Philip

With similar gear and body weight to JM I too find the realistic upper limit for 6.5 with 29cm fin to be about 20 knots. Can hang on beyond that, but it is not fast nor fluid and is low on fun factor. Plan to buy a 5.5 sail to use in combo with smaller fin as suggested by JM.

Floatation vest = impact protection
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 07:52 AM   #10
windsurferdagg

Ya I am looking for a 5.6-5.8 to give me some range... bring me down 7.6 to 5.0 nicely i think. Just need more money... but don't we all...