Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 7th May 2007, 10:25 AM   #1
mitchiedog

Default replacement fin for K96

Hi Roger
I just got a used K96 and took it for its first ride. It was great. quite a bit different and less stable than my carve 131 and the smallest board I have ridden to date. I think this will be good for getting me into higher winds, the carve was nice but proving a real battle since I was using it right at the upper limit of its wind range.

Unfortunately the Kombat doesn't have its freeride flow 31 cm fin anymore, just the 25 cm wave fin. I am 77 kg and just getting used to the straps and waterstarting. The kombat 96 will be used in (choppy) freeride mode at least for the first year or so, with 5.0 and 5.7m until I get better and can try in the waves.

With this in mind what size/shape fin do you suggest I get to replace the missing freeride flow 30cm. - the same size? I see the K97 now comes with one crossover 28cm fin instead.
thanks very much.
mike
mitchiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 02:34 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: replacement fin for K96

Hi Mike,
Another Freeride Flow 30 cm would be good, as you aren't too heavy and you don't seem to be looking at larger sails for the Kombat 96.
If you are just going to be "back and forth" (slalom) sailing for the near term, you might want to look for a bit more vertical fin in the same size (28-32 cm ) range.
The Kombat won't be quite as "loose" with the more vertical fin, but you should be able to stay upwind significantly better, and should also be a bit faster.
Jibing with the more vertical planform fin will be nearly as good as with the stock 28 or 30 cm free ride fins, so there's really no downside to a bit more vertical for the use you suggest.
Not sure of the availability of True Amers fins in NZ, but here's the link:
http://www.trueames.com/wind.html
Check out the True Ames Slalom Pointer, Sweep, and Convert for the shape/type fins I would suggest.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2007, 11:37 AM   #3
mitchiedog

Default RE: replacement fin for K96

thanks Roger. I will keep an eye out for those options.
mitchiedog is offline   Reply With Quote