Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 16th May 2007, 05:53 AM   #1

Default finally, JUMPING!

To anyone with really good advice,

This week, or since I have gotten my G2 and can now drive myself to places (in Canada it allows me to drive without an adult etc some graduated licence crap) I have improved a lot. I have nailed waterstarts, been out in overpowering conditions and liked it/had fun, can get into the straps everytime now and comfertably while in the harness (never really realized how far forward my lines were! WOW) and go upwind/downwind carving and not carving while in the straps. Its way easier! I also got some jibes where I carve at first, but don't end up carving at the end, and my tacks are carving upwind and doin that little "shuffle" etc.

But now, I would like to try and jump my Go 139. So any advice is greatly appreciated. I have heard some people say sink the tail, than pul p on boom and front foot than after that up on back foot (kind of like olieing a skateboard) while others just say sheet in and lift.

My local spot usually has i would say ankle high to knee high chop. I can just go straight at the higher chop and than hang of the boom and kind of "bounce" off of it and cartch a bit of air, but it feels and looks stupid, and it was when I couldn't get into the straps. Now that I am in the straps all the time, I wanted to start trying some small jumps etc.

I will probably use my 6.6 and 5.0 for jumping. My 7.6 might be harder.

I also heard there is a way to chop hop of flat water, the way freestyle people do it, but I think my board is a bit big for that.

Can't wait for the next windy day to try out your advice,

Thomas
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 07:05 AM   #2

Default RE: finally, JUMPING!

Try this at home. Stand with your legs straight. Now jump. Didn't get very high? Now try again and bend your knees and jump. Got a little higher?

Next time you sail, as you are approaching some chop, right before you're about to hit that piece of chop(the ramp) bend your knees and jump as you go up the face of the chop. Air time.

When you've jumped a dozen or more times, try this. When you leave your little ramp(while in the air) pull your feet up to your butt. That's what we call tuck.

Dude you will be a jumping fool in no time.
Old 16th May 2007, 03:08 PM   #3

sail size doesn't make much of a difference, just the conditions and your speed do. Conditions make a difference due to chop buildup and wind that you can use to fly your board on (tiltig the board leeward wind catches under your board in the air and get lift you further up).
Basically you can also jump 10sqm sails in lighter wind (3BF), just have to be going fast enough (>20kts board speed).

Oh, one more little tip: don't let go of the boom if things go wrong. Make sure to keep a good grip on it and push it away from your face. Some people tend to like a second breakfast and loose a few teeth over it.. face guard on a helmet would make GOOD sense.
Old 17th May 2007, 04:53 AM   #4
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

what about landing? any tips for that? or in air control?
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 05:23 AM   #5

Landing has a way of taking care of itself. If you have tucked your feet under your bums, right before landing, extend your legs but not all the way staight. U will see. Landing is the easiest part. Some you will make and some you won't. Perserverance will further. Practice.
Old 17th May 2007, 07:25 AM   #6
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

The key to landing is making sure you don't push the tail of the board downwind. The prior poster is speaking to this point. Some talk about trying to head off the wind when you try to jump. Really, you just need to head off the wind when you land, but starting off that way is easier than learning to change direction in the air. ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 07:05 PM   #7
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

awsome. can't wait for more wind. this long weekend sunday and monday look good for 5.0 or 6.6 depending on how powered up I want to be. what about body position? Do I sheet in on take off and sheet out on landings? Extend back leg only? Tail first landing? Is my body landing over the board? or still out like the cruising stance, or does tucking your knees up do that for you...
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote