Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 16th May 2007, 12:40 PM   #21

Default RE: How to get on plane on Ftype and what is the correct stance - need help.

Poor Marek...

He fell for the hype and bought a board that was too technical for a beginner, and now he's stuck with a white-elephant that he can't ride.

How many times has this happened to beginning windsurfers, and how often has it turned them off from our sport forever?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 02:00 PM   #22

Default RE: How to get on plane on Ftype and what is the correct stance - need help.

feet in straps in light wind (3BF) at 85 kg and harness? straps out and back as well??
Old 16th May 2007, 04:36 PM   #23

Thank you for all the great answers - this forum is just great!
And I'll tame this elephant, don't you worry ;-). B)

BTW: MartinJE, you seem to be similar in weight although you have a larger board (150 vs. mine 148 )- but could you please tell me in what wind speeds you can get your FT planing and with what sails?
I am especially interested in your 7,6 sail (as I have 7.5) - what is the wind range (min. for planing/max. for surviving) for that size?
And I'm thinking maybe for the next season I should get this 9.5 Sailworks Retro... (I guess I'll have to get a new fin for this one as well, right?)

And also - what do you mean when saying:
I would start with the straps in the middle or outer positions, spaced to a comfortable stance
Because I thought beginners should set them in the inner/front position (as close to the center of the board as possible).

Again, thanks.

-marek
Old 17th May 2007, 02:39 PM   #24
MartinJE

Hi Marek

I use 7.6, 8.5 and 9.5 on the FT158 in usually gusty/patchy conditions so my thresholds are vague (depends on chop; energy levels for pumping or overpowered).

9.5 3 cam perhaps 10+; 8.5 no cam perhaps 14+; 7.6 3 cam 16+ with the smaller fin. I hang on to the 7.6 to 20 odd gusts, but by then the chop usually makes a smaller board more fun - although on flat water this combo feels very fast. In powered conditions a harness is a must to keep mast foot pressure on.

My 8.5 is a Retro - great power, but I'm switching to Naish Redlines/Stealths for cam stability and pumpability. A 9.5 should be a great lightwind sail for the FT148 at our weight.

As for straps - I've only used the outer positions (rear, to back; front, mid-way for a comfortable stance). I think the mid positions would be a good learning step to keep the board character whilst teaching good technique. The inner positions seem very extreme - I think they would deaden the board too much and teach sloppy habits.

Keep at it - I went from a few lessions to a FreeFormula 157 - time on the water is the key, and keep gently pushing your limits whilst developing healthy instincts not to sail if the conditions are dangerously beyond your current skill levels and equipment.

Martin
MartinJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2007, 06:15 PM   #25

Great - thank you, and I'll do my very best, sir :-). Did you really jumped into FF right after few lessons and why?

For the 9.5 - do you recommend going to 64 or 70 fin? (my current stock fin is 56 cm...)
Do I just get Drake or other brands are better / as good but less expensive?

I think I'll get a harness now and keep practising with my 7.5 till the end of the summer and then in the winter I'll get 9.5. More time to prepare my wife for this essential investment ;-)).

BTW which harness type would be recommended?

-marek
Old 17th May 2007, 06:20 PM   #26

85 Kg:
9.5 ~ 8kts
7.5 ~ 10kts

Try being overpowered all the time. You said you got on a plane in 4-5BF I assume on the 7.5. Get a 9.5 and you'll plane with less wind. Only successfully practicing (getting on a plane regularly will
a) make you happy
b) have you progress
Old 18th May 2007, 07:47 AM   #27
MartinJE

Hi Marek

With the FT158 and 9.5 the stock fin is fine. Bigger can get you planning earlier and higher upwind angles, but at the cost of speed and "leg burn".

I use a Dakine XT Seat harness.

I went straight to the FF157 because I'm self-employed and could get plenty of time on the water - we sail all year here; the FF157 DRAM was not so different from the GO - and I didn't want to feel that either the kit was holding me back or obliged to buy another board too soon. The 2nd year FT158 was a logical progression.

Martin
MartinJE is offline   Reply With Quote