Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 21st May 2007, 05:13 AM   #11
Floyd

Default RE: ST115 vs KA117

You would need a Ski Nautique not good technique to get an ST137 going in 8 knots !!Thats a thumbs down for that definitely.Sorry.

One of problems of this site (and others) is that boards become misrepresented by comments from people with vested interest in those boards. (ie they own one)
The ST range is a definite case of this.
Without doubt the ST is a good board but it is a high wind (relative) high control slalom board.
Yes obviously riders with good technique will get the thing going earlier; but apply those self same techniques to other boards (F Types; JP slaloms; etc) and you will be going loads earlier.
The ST is NOT NOT NOT an early planing board ! It was not intended to be; never is and never will be.
If you buy it as such you will be severely disappointed.
Buy it to carry "too much" sail; sail it hard and use it like a board with 10 litres less volume and you will b e chuffed with it !
If you are thinking of one TRY IT FIRST ! Dont read the blurb or listen to folk on here ! Find out for yourself.!!!
A group of 4 of us bought them ( a 115; 2x 1126`s and a 137) Three of us bought WRONGLY.(and sold on) One of us loves it and goes like hell on it.(Not me BTW)
Its NOT a waveboard.Its NOT an early planer. Its NOT a good weight carrier. (Volumes ARE overquoted)
Its a fast; high control ; good gybing slalom board ! (With disputed get you home volume)
My 126 was just NOT 126 litres volume.(If it was every other board I have sailed is overquoted)
In the right conditions (Hard) its fantastic.In easy ; underpowered; flat conditions lots of things would plane earlier; go upwind better;go through lulls better;and have faster speeds. Thats why SB build the iSonic.
:@
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 01:59 PM   #12

didn't say ST was a light wind board (it definitely isn't, thats why I'm still waitung for my light wind board (iS) and in the meanwhile tickling every ounce of early planing out of the ST137). Getting it to plane in 8 kts is nothing compared to zipping around with an FT or iS145/155 or even formula. Didn't say it was a wave board, just said that the ST115 kills the KA117 (whatever that might mean for the KA117...).

STs in general gybe very nice and take loads of wind very well (have/had, STs 104, 116, 137). STs will for sure not be the earliest planing board, but you can make them plane early (again, you won't be making loads of speed like you would on a wide light wind board!).

So, take it easy Floyd, I've had tons of boards, some were crap, some weren't, don't earn a cent on anything here and as a former owner of an KA117 I honestly and whole heartedly disliked (better hated or would've axed it had I not been able to trade it in) that board.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 02:18 PM   #13
Ola_H
TEAM

Interesting thread with lots of different opinions. I think it goes to show that it proves that talking about early planing (and other aspects of a ride) is almost meaningless if one don't know a lot about the rider. I don't think you can call any one of the sailors which have used the boards in this thread wrong, but still they have very different experiences.

In my book, there ARE lots of different techniques to get going early and they do work to very different extents on differnt boards. You can for exemple feel this on the Kombat 87 which with the wave fins ans straps inboard thrives on a wave board technique to get going while with a freeride fin and straps outboard you need to mix some mre slalom like technique (get the fin loaded up a bit more) to get it going the earliest. This is even more evident in the Aero (I had the original 117). In a wave setting, it planes super early. In a freeride setting and with the freeride fin, the very short length and (for a freerider) kind of curvy rocker kind of get i conflict with each other and I would say the A117 therefor needs more technique and feel to get going early than many other boards. When you nail this technique, it really does get going very early also in freeride mode. But of course, the real place for the A117 is on a wave in light wind.

Unfortunately I do not use the ST, so I can't comment on that. I have a Flare though, which like the ST is based of the Sonic95 rocker. Out of all boards I've sailed, the Flare is the one that gets going with the least amount off work and the least amount of sail power. My iS1010 get going real easy too, but that board does require some more dedicated technique to go in super light wind.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 04:15 PM   #14

Hi Ola,

no pun intended:

unforunately you can't even comment on what we we talking about in the first place being the KA117 and NOT the A117 (two completely different birds of which the A117 would beat the ST115) vs ST115 (K86 not K87 was sideline).
Old 22nd May 2007, 05:18 AM   #15
Floyd

Ola is always qualified to comment wether he`s ridden board or not .(Seriously and not being sarcastic)

Apologies if I came over a bit "strong".

Still dont think anyone could get an ST 137 going in 8 knots . My feeling is that somebody could believe that and go out and get one ;leaving then with a totally wrong board ! That is not knocking the board at all.If you want to plane in 8 knots you should not be on an S type.!

Take care. You must be a hell of a pumper !

Old 22nd May 2007, 02:51 PM   #16

KA117 and A117 are 2 completely different boards. If you don't know both you just can't comment on them.
Old 24th May 2007, 11:50 PM   #17
Floyd

Of Course you can !

At Agincourt a noble Englishman asked why his archers could not hit individual targets at long ranges. A bowman replied "you can have long range or you can have accuracy. Take your pick "

Its a lot like that with boards.
You can have early planing or good high speed control in chop.Take your pick. Even S type cant do both ! (Even if SB say it can !)
Planing in 8 knots on an ST 137 ??? mmmmm???!!
Old 25th May 2007, 01:32 AM   #18

bla bla bla, ST goes fast in varying conditions and you can dial it up to plane early, you can bouce around on them and ride waves. KAxxx goes fast when you throw out of a plane at altitude 10km. Otherwise it sticks, bothers and is just no comparision whatsoever to the STs equal volume.
Old 25th May 2007, 03:51 AM   #19
Floyd

Dont disagree with any of that but that does NOT make it either an early planer and its certainly no wave board. Yes we`ve all seen the video of KP on one in massive waves and doing what he does best but I`ve also seen a video of Robbie Naish looping a Mistral Equipe.
If you want an early planing wave board at your weight the K107 is as good as you are going to get ! (And thats a bit stiff in them)
The 137 is like a plank in waves.Its awful in them; the 126 is only marginally better.
I think you are *** and making stuopid claims like he used to !
ST a wave board !!!
Planing in 8 knots on one !!!
Come on ! Give it a rest !
Old 25th May 2007, 10:10 AM   #20

S-TYPE 137 2007 06 7.4 2415 720 138 Immediate
S-TYPE 126 2007 06 7.05 2372 674 123 Immediate
S-TYPE 115 2007 06 6.7 2374 640 117 Immediate
S-TYPE 104 2007 06 6.4 2374 605 105 Immediate
S-TYPE 93 2007 06 6.2 2379 596 99 Immediate

Hey Floyd You *&^%$. Here are the stats from ISAF for Stypes. THe 126 is the only over stated volume.
Lord give us strength
Poster two:@