Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 29th June 2007, 03:07 AM   #11

Default RE: s-type in 2008?

Combining the carve and s-type into a single board line... I think it's a good idea.

Ditto on the hope that they include a single back strap option.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 12:38 PM   #12

sometimes change is not a good thing. I love Stypes. I hope they aren't de-turned.
Old 2nd July 2007, 09:44 PM   #13

Default RE: S type over rated ???

Cant argue with opinions.
But
S type has been dropped for a reason.
Its not that fast; does not plane early at all and is technical to sail.
and its not a good weight carrier for its (quoted) volume.
I suspect the Futura will be nearer the Carve which is (was???) an infinitely better board than S type.
S type is fast because fast sailors bought it.
If you like S type for its qualities (fast in chop) have a go on older carve or Tabou Rocket.
Not a big fan of S type I`m afraid.
One of things which damaged S type was all the hype prior to its official release. (Pics of Kp in waves on one did not help either)
Kombat and Carve a different story. !
S type has been most hypesd and over rated board ever.
Dont think it will be missed.
Sorry all you S type owners. (Sold mine ; surprise surprise)
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:02 PM   #14
Ola_H
TEAM

Eeh... not fast? Several mags tested the S-type as very fast boards in comparisons with other freeride/super-x stuff.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:04 PM   #15
Floyd

Over years various boards have defined the qualities available from manufacturers and helped build their reputations.
The old F2 Sunset Slalom; Mistral Screamer;BIC Astro Rock;Fanatic Mega Jag;F2 Sputnik.(There are others); and with out doubt the Starboard Carve (and Evo).
You might not like some of these boards but you know exactly what they will and wont do. They were classics (some still are) and marked steps forward in our sport.
I dont think anyone will remember the S type as one of these. It did not do what we all believed it would/could.The others did far more.
Frst time I sailed a Carve I was astonished. First time I sailed an S type I was disappointed.
Hope *B have mix right ?
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:21 PM   #16
Floyd

With all due respect Ola I think thats where the problem lies.
Boards mag (or some other magazine) does some testing (which for all intents and purposes is subjective) and then say a board is fast (or slow)
Do you really think you would go any faster on an S type than the equivalent (width) carve ??? It might feel faster.(So testers;guest and otherwise say its faster.)But faster when and for whom ???

We`ve all been led to believe boards which are hard to sail are fast. Its probably the reverse !

To be honest I really think the Carve is the faster of the two boards !(And it gybes easier)

Old 2nd July 2007, 10:47 PM   #17

Default RE: baord lines over he years NOT similari

Quote:
Over years various boards have defined the qualities available from manufacturers and helped build their reputations.
The old F2 Sunset Slalom; Mistral Screamer;BIC Astro Rock;Fanatic Mega Jag;F2 Sputnik.(There are others); and with out doubt the Starboard Carve (and Evo).
Hope *B have mix right ?
i agree with your comments regarding the the sunset slalom sputnik and astro rock, and the EVO I cannot disagree enough with your comment as to the screamer and carves. These boards are similar in NAME ONLY, to there predecessors.
Take a 1980's screamer or a 1990's carve from there 1st introduction to what they offer this year and you will find boards that are completely different in outline rocker and volume to the extent that they do nothing the same way as there early predecessors did..
so they may be called the same name, and we knlow them well bu that given name , they are not the same boards, and they definalty will not sail the same.
the sunset slalom or astro rock "name" didnt last as long thus the design ditd not deviate from the original much, especially compared wih the long named screamer line,
shredulato
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:58 PM   #18
Floyd

Shred
Yes you are right. Carves and Screamer (to a lesser extent) have changed beyond all recognition but the boards in their original carnations both set the yardstick (IMO) for others to emulate at the time.The screamer was the first bigish board (I sailed) that went as well as it did but gybed so sweetly. The original carve was the same ;albeit bigger (if required) faster and earlier planing and equally as sweet to carve. It was an immediate classic.IMO it moved things on.: None of that could be said of S type.
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:44 AM   #19
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Floyd wrote:
With all due respect Ola I think thats where the problem lies.
Boards mag (or some other magazine) does some testing (which for all intents and purposes is subjective) and then say a board is fast (or slow)
Do you really think you would go any faster on an S type than the equivalent (width) carve ??? It might feel faster.(So testers;guest and otherwise say its faster.)But faster when and for whom ???

We`ve all been led to believe boards which are hard to sail are fast. Its probably the reverse !

To be honest I really think the Carve is the faster of the two boards !(And it gybes easier)
I completely agree that the sailor makes the difference and that for a given sailor board A might be faster than board B despite that board B is the faster for another sailor. Apart from pure sailing ability, the sail, the conditions, the style of the sailor, sometimes the weight and maybe mostly the attitude matters a lot. I frequently sail on my home lake with anything from EVOs to iSonics and while there are of course differences in my own speed, the relative speed when I compare to others does not differ that much.

As for the Boards mag test, they actually said the S-type was fast but rather felt a bit unexciting at speed (and though testing IS subjective, it is not that difficult to compare speeds). What makes the higher strung boards technical is more that it takes more commitment to jibe them and that getting in the straps and start planing is often more technical. But the shape and stance details that make up for these difficulties if often what makes the same boards composed and easy at speed and hence in reality fast.

But again, your main observation is correct. The more difficult the conditions get, the more you gain by choosing an easy board compared to a fast one. Given tough enough conditions, I'm probably faster on one of my EVOs than on my iS101.

BTW In the boards test, they argued that the fast freeride boards didn't have so much place in the market. People that wanted and could handle these boards could as well be on full on slalom boards (and despite having a wave background, that is the route I chose myself - having the iS101 as my big freeride board. It does sweet full speed carving 360s btw). There is some merit to the Boards argument, but of course there will always be a market for faster boards that is still easy. To get closer to the perfect speed/ease compromise is surely a challenge for the shapers and testers and it gets even more challenging when you include that it should be a good mix for an extremely large variety of sailors.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 03:44 AM   #20

carves == balanced slow boards
stypes == somewhat more technical but much faster boards for the non-beginner, they fly into the sky and they gybe VERY WELL.

PUHU goodbye SType, I'll really miss u.