Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd May 2007, 01:03 PM   #1
Jay

Default 2008 Serenity

I'm wondering if any has any ideas (or has heard any rumors) about what might be up for the Serenity in 2008?

I'm very close to buying one and trying to decide whether to get one now or wait a year. The current board is great from everything I've read although totally new board concepts always seem get better in subsequent versions (ie, as was clearly the case with the F-Types). For example, among other things, I'm wondering if refinements might make the board easier to gybe and go downwind, if the stock fin might be shortened, and if the foredeck might be beefed up to better withstand boom head strikes. Anyone hear anything?

Thanks!

Jay
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 04:37 AM   #2
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Default RE: 2008 Serenity

Jay,

Don't know for 2008 but here is my wish list as well :

- Keep the Technora Serenity as sturdy as possible: perfect durability so far for school, teaching, rental, test, etc...Maybe more user-friendly towards jibing and going downwind for intermediate skilled people.
- Keep the Wood Serenity as light, responsive and crisp as possible. Do not make her heavier (get rid of the water-filled cooling daggerfin box), she should remain the ultimate performer she has been designed for in ultra light winds. Make her the no-compromise ultra gliding machine.
- For both, keep 2 stock fins. The shallow 41 cm fin does nicely compliment the stock race 70 cm fin IMHO. With big sail in winds below 4 knots, the wide 70 cm fin is unmatched when going upwind. The smaller fin is perfect to keep control of the hull once overpowered at high speed.

As I experienced following the availability of the HyperSonic 105 about 5 years ago, I feel this new concept will benefit the most with the widest sail and fin size range as possible. This is going to be the "hyper gliding" board of the future.

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 05:53 AM   #3
Jay

JM,

Do you think the Technora is currently more durable than the wood construction? How much more durable (ie, will it's deck break with non-catapult boom head strikes)? How much performance do you think you give up with the added weight of Technora vs Wood? If you were buying today, with your experience, would you buy wood or Technora?

What is the "water-filled cooling daggerfin box"? I thought both boards have a deep tuttle box and I don't see how you can eliminate that?

Jay
Old 23rd May 2007, 06:45 AM   #4
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Jay,

Sorry, I can't comment on the durability of Technora versus Wood because I didn't witness nor test a woody yet. Just tested shortly 1 of 2 Technora from a Surf Club & School. Both were abused by beginners, intermediates and experts. Lots of marks and scratchs everywhere but no ding as of yet. Stored nude outside in the rain, sun, heat, hail and cold without any cover or other protection since March delivery.

I've ordered a woody because I want the maximum performance in ultra light wind. She is going to be pampered with great care and stored in a specific board bag, as with all of my 6 other boards.

The cooling box is located between the upper deck and the access holes for the daggerfin's screws on both current edition. This box is covered by a foam cover on the deck (nothing to do with the Deep Tuttle box by itself). I've found that this cooling box was being filled by water while sailing and added unnecessary weight. I'm going to fill the void with beadboard material to get rid of any water storage (same with the void under the carryhandle) and fix the foam cover by Velcro closure. My views on this subject is that just 2 plain oval access holes à la iSonic are enough for the screws to hold the daggerfin on the wood edition only but the current cooling box could be fun to store drinks on the Technora edition.

More later when I'll get my woody hopefully this week-end...

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:17 AM   #5

JM, my guess is that you are the only person in the world concerned about the "extra weight" from water in the drink holder.

I don't know how much of the Serenity's speed is related to its weight versus it's shape, but I would actually like to see a cheaper, more general-purpose Serenity in a heavier construction. If it could double as a kayak, that would be cool.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:34 AM   #6
Jay

JM,

Thanks for the input.

Please be sure to post your experience with your new woody Serenity.

You should name her "Splinter" - due to her construction and her shape! I am sure you will be pleased...

Jay
Old 23rd May 2007, 07:48 PM   #7
Randy

My suggestions for 2008 (based on same shape, so this is fine tuning.)

1. A longer mast track might be useful (not to mention an adjustable track).
2. Build in a mounting for a Jez Knob in front of the track and include it with the board. (I haven't had a problem YET, but it seems others have.)
3. I wonder if adding a very small fin in the tail would be beneficial. At times the board seems a little unstable and might track better with a small fin.
4. It would make a great kayak if fittings were installed for a seat and foot rest.

For the "next generation" of Serenity, I'd suggest something easier to sail. Perhaps 13-14 feet long, a little wider, cheaper, and sadly (most likely) lower performing. To popularize the board, I think it needs to be accessable to more sailors. Dumbing it down may be the way to do it (just make sure we can still get the originial.)
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 08:24 PM   #8

Default RE: catamaran serenity

i have it on good authority that the cooling box has also structurally been designed to support a crossbeam , a sinele one ( to cut conplexity to make this board a catamaran type of setup. For a variety of rationale , 1st instructor on one hull, student on the other. 2. also to entertain a biplane type rig sans "team phillips' configuration with two sailors , hopefully without the resultant self destruction issues that team phillips had...
shredulato
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 05:03 AM   #9
Jay

Off topic from my original post - best sail for the Serenity:
I was thinking of getting a Severne Glide 7.5 to go with a Serenity as it's power/weight seems pretty ideal. However, that is one expensive sail. If anyone has used one, how much added benefit does it have over a comparably sized Retro or even a 6.6 Hucker? Is it worth the addtional cost (and trouble rigging given it's 3 cams)?

Jay
Old 24th May 2007, 09:40 AM   #10
steveC

Hi Jay,

In addition to Sailworks' offerings, you might want to consider Hansen Sails. Their FreeRace series offers a 0-3 camber concept that really is state of the art, and very well built. I think that pricing is very reasonable, and there's absolutely no question of Bill Hansen's creative talent and leading edge design concepts. In addition, you get very strong performance using a robust RDM mast, even in larger sail sizes. Moreover, you have the option to order custom constructions too. Check out details at the following website:

http://www.hansensails.com/
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote