Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 5th June 2007, 04:00 AM   #1
SteveM

Default Naish Stealth 9,6 with HS111

Hi all,
Just been reading the thread on the 9,5 sail choice with some interest - I can get a Naish Stealth 9,6 with boom and mast for a good deal (assuming it`s not sold yet) - Will this sail be suitable for use on a Hypersonic 111 ? The SB spec sheet for this board states sails from 5,0 to 9,9sqm, so it would definitely be at the upper limit. What wind range would I be looking at (75kg, average skill level, currently sail with 6,6sqm Gaastra Nitro 5 up to 20knots on this board, change down board size before sail).
Would it be a bitch to uphaul ? I know it will be difficult to waterstart, but I`m assuming with it`s low wind ability you would uphaul it more easily.
Would this size sail be seriously out of sorts with the board, being only 218cm long ?
Ideally I`d like to be able to sail from 8knots to about 12-14knots with this rig, am I on the right track ?

Thanks,
Steve
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007, 06:48 PM   #2
John Kemsley

Default RE: Naish Stealth 9,6 with HS111

Steve

I am 95kg and can get a 9.4 Lightning on a HS133, as i weigh 20kg more than you but my board is 20ltr more volume the experience should be similar.

I can uphaul, its a case of getting balance right, getting luff of sail out of water so it drains, then uphauling in one smooth movement
Old 6th June 2007, 04:51 AM   #3

I use 10m2 Naish Stealth-07, i'm 135 lb on a smaller ver of 'formula' board /custom 130l/220cmX96cm, no problem uphauling the sail,
Hope, that helps
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Mezza30

Hi Steve,

It seems to me that you are exploring the margins a little too much. Its not so much the uphauling that concerns me, I know people who can do this on a 70ltr wave board. It more about whether you would enjoy having such a big sail on a small(ish) board.

In my experience, there is a 'sweetspot' for all board and if you go over / under it, you do compromise your sailing experience. I also wonder if you gain anything by it. Such a big sail is heavier, more cumbersone and more difficult to pump. IMO you'd be better of being more comfortable with a 9m and it may well be that you'd actually plane earlier because it is easier to handle
Mezza30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 04:04 AM   #5
SteveM

Thanks for the answers,
Well I think I will pass up on that offer - the seller is too far away for me to see the rig before I buy. He is selling VERY cheap, so it makes me worry a bit about the condition it may be in. Also not sure how much use I can get out of it - went out yesterday in 10knots, gusting 28. We seem to be getting huge variation in prevailing winds at the moment, so that big a sail is probably not going to get much use from me - very difficult to choose a sail size for those conditions! Now looking at a smaller sail than 6,6, in anticipation of summer, which sadly, is a long way off.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2007, 10:35 PM   #6
Screamer

Hi SteveM
I've used a 9.0 a lot on a hyper105 (85kg), I guess it's worse than a 75kg rider using 9.6 on a 111. It's usable (and a real bitch to handle if the wind dies). If you won't use a larger board I think you should look at approximately 8.5 (max9.0) size to complement your 6.6 on a hyper.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote