Go Back   Starboard Forums > Kevin`s Corner

Old 21st August 2006, 11:03 AM   #1
woodsyowl

Default what skill level would you not recommend an Stype?

I am looking for a one board solution (currently using an 80's skinny long board for learning). I can do the basics, tack, gybe, beach start (learning water starts) and can stay dry if I take it easy. Originaly, I was thinking of a 122 or 133 carve but perhaps an Stype would be a good board. I am an aggressively active person to begin with who wants speed and to only buy one board for the next 2 -4 years. In addition I know I would love doing bigger and larger jumps in my fresh water lake and river but one crisis at a time...

So would I be in over my head with an stype 126 ( I weigh 75-80kgs).

thanks
woodsyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 02:53 AM   #2
jonnyc

Default RE: what skill level would you not recommend an Stype?

How long have you been windsurfing? I had one of the first 115 stypes and it will forgive all your sins especially in chop the only down side (and it's not really a downside!) the boards feel alot!!!! smaller than they are! I weigh 70kg and I sailed a 91 jp FRC for a year and the s-type 115 which replaced it felt as small if not a little smaller. If you have have good ballence then this is not an issue. I loved the s-type, and it's great for steaming past people because it is so easy to sail and it lets you get away with bad technique! Be interested to hear what Kevin has to say. But I think from what you have said I'd go for the bigger one maybe but which ever you go for you'll love it! You won't be able to wipe the silly grin off your face!
jonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 07:25 AM   #3
woodsyowl

I have only been windsurfing less than a year. I hopefully (but doubtfully) completed my catapulting lessons and such... I learn very quicky - afterall, it's not rocket science.... well, except for a double forward.

I just want one board for a wide variety of conditions that is more fun than my loaner old school longboard.
woodsyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 06:14 PM   #4
jonnyc

Default RE: One board for everything!

Well then maybe the stype isn't the right one right now!
The s-type is a very fast board and after a year of windsurfing I would say it will probably be too much, too fast. If we are talking starboard then maybe a 120 -130 ltr carve would be a better choice! similar in many ways but not quite the performance but by no means slow! plus a bigger sail range!

I don't want to put you off but I have the habit of buying bigger better kit all the time and have made some mistakes by buying technical and fast board and if your not ready for it can make you not enjoy yur time on the water! This in my opinion is the most important consideration!

Now if you want fast but easy to sail the s-types are great but the speed may be a bit scarey for you at this stage! The carves are more useable day to day.

I don't want to put you off the s-type because it is such a nice peice of kit I just don't want you to loose interest in the sport like I did for a while due to a bad choice for your current ability!

Jon
jonnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 02:26 AM   #5
cj0ne

I had an s-type 115 when they first came out.
Its a very nice board and like you I'm 71kg and sail on a lake.
As Jonnyc said, I does feel small. I had hoped to use it as my main board but have now changed it for a Carve 122 which has given me a lot more planing and non planing time on the water. And when its windy I put in a smaller fin and still find it very quick.
I then got a 95l board for very windy days. Hope that helps.
cj0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 05:14 AM   #6
Kevin Pritchard
Dream Team Member

I love the Stype! It is a great board and now I use it for intermediate friends that are learning as well. I think it is a great next level board that is perfect for entering into slalom and having fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin Pritchard is offline   Reply With Quote