Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 19th June 2007, 02:28 AM   #1

Default Evo 90 v Acid 86 v Kombat 86

Hi Starboard Sailors,

Looking for some good insight into a midrange, semi goto board, for 185lbs advanced sailor.

I'm considering the above mention boards, and ideally looking for early planing/fast, open ocean bump and jump and wave ability.

I have an stype 104 (05&#39 which I use with a 7.0 ezzy, and a 5.8 Kult and Superfreak depending on the wind, and a 74L acid which I sail with the 5.3 Kaos and 4.7 Kult and the 5.8's from time to time.

I'd like to find a better board for the 5.8's and 5.4, a board I can switch up to or down to when the wind drops or picks up instead of re-rigging.

I really like the stype and am fond of the 74l acid when the conditions are knarly, although it likes those long turns and can be tricky jibing on 6-8' rollers on the outside, yet that charateristic makes it such a pleasure on the larger waves at shore.

Let me know your thoughts if you've sailed them thanks much.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: Evo 90 v Acid 86 v Kombat 86

The K86 and PA86 are the two most alike boards, but unless you're looking for something predominantly for riding faster waves I see little point in choosing the PA86. Not that it will not be fast and nimble, but the K86 with its wider shoulders and tail will give you a wider range when it comes to flat water sailing.

The E90 is a completely different board. It can work as a "freerider" OK, but it is clearly optimised for riding waves (of any size and quality). As such the EVO has a very big range when it comes to types of waves and so on, but its range as a B&J boards is not as big as that of the K86 or PA86, I would say.

So, from my perspective it sounds like the K86 is the best bet, or the K87 if that is an option. The 2007 87 has a sweeter turn, particularly when you push it hard and actually very closely mimics the feel the (07) PA74 has in faster conditions.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2007, 11:20 PM   #3
Screamer

Hi guest
I haven't sailed Acid or Evo, but I am a very happy owner of Kombat86. I am your weight (well 86 kg), and for your b/j conditions and 5.x sails it's an excellent board. I've used it from 4.0 to 6.0, but it's best if you don't go smaller than about 4.7 or 4.5.
Btw, I am thinking about Acid74 for those honking days (sub 5.0 sails). Can you really sail it with a 5.8, I thought it's way off board's range?
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 01:57 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Screamer: I've used the PA74 up to 5.6 and that was no problems. But I'm only 69 kilos. I think Kevin used it with a 5.7 during testing though, and he's 84 or something. So, for special conditions you might be able to get a 5.7 on it and still get good performance out of the package. But if you also have the K86, I don't see that many instances when you would rather have a PA74 under your feet in 5.8 conditions.
Old 20th June 2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Screamer

Guest & Ola
I'm sorry to turn this into Acid74 thread, but I'd like to know your opinion on this: I plan to use A74 mostly with sails around 4.2, but do you think it'll work well on full nuke days (35-45 knots) with a 3.5?
Thanks
Old 20th June 2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

At 86 kilos I'm sure it will handle 3.5 pretty gracefully. I weight 68 and can ride it OK with a 4.2. Its actually a fairly calm board. Might want to invest in a smaller fin though, especially if you're riding waves in these winds. The Drake naturals have a very wide range into the high wind spectrum, but the PAs tend to still prefer smaller fins when it gets fast.

The PA74 is a super sweet boards, one of the most "plug and play" boards, I've tried and just a delight to sail from the second you step on it.
Old 21st June 2007, 02:50 AM   #7
Screamer

Thanks for your thoughts Ola
No breaking waves, some decent rolling swell and lots of random lumps (wind against a river current). Point taken about smaller fin.
Old 21st June 2007, 10:24 PM   #8

Default RE: Happy to give feedback on the 74

I sail it with a 5.3 no problem and yesterday I was out on the 5.8 with it and it was doing good. I opted for a Hotsails SF because of the light weight of the sail.

If you're comfortable sailing a sinker or you're not afraid to learn it'll work fine with a 5.8 in 20 average winds. Yesterday it was gusting to 15-22 and I was on the 74l with the 5.8 sf and a 27cm b&j curtis fin.

The issue is staying powered in the lulls, so I'd just bare off wind. It's so easy to maneuver the board and it's such a surfboard that jibing in the lighter burst of wind isn't too much trouble especially in the chop. Just point the board down a ramp and you can coax it back onto a plane.

The drawback is that you have to sail part of the time without the harness to keep the sail fully powered.
Old 23rd June 2007, 04:10 AM   #9

Default RE: comparison

I rented and sailed both in maui in april. i liked both, BUT they were very different as well. I am 195 lbs and used 4.2 up to 4.7 with both at kanaha.
It hard to say which is better, as they both did what there were designed to do and both fit there designed use well.
The acid 86 was great in the waves, bottom turns and in 4.2 conditions very easily sailed, jumped and gybed like butter just what it was designed for.
But in this reagard would you be on you acid 74 ? .
The kombat was better at planing earlier , ( thicker more powerfull tail,) when it was a 4.7 day.
I also sailed it the kombat with a 5.3 i did not do this with the acid,
I cant think the acid would have been as good as the kombat on a marginal 5.3 day for planing or bump and jump.
But you are by your criteria looking for a balance "early planing/fast, open ocean bump and jump and wave ability."
"Wave" was only one of the things you ve listed above so i would go with the KA 86.

I also sail an evo 94 at home on Lake Superior in Canada ( and i would have rented it in maui if i could, as i wanted to try all of starboards kit) but i would not fit it into what you want.
I have used a cammed ezzy 6.6 with my evo not the best but it was workable!!!!
Old 24th June 2007, 05:25 AM   #10

Hi

I have the acid 86 and 74, I&#39;m 95kg and the boards work well together. I use the 7.4 for <5.0 and the 86 for 4.5 - 6.0. the over lap is good as the wind is often light on the inside and I need the bigger board to get out. If its windy right up to the beach I&#39;ll go with the 74. Although the acids have a image for big smooth/fast waves they are actualy v. good on those days when its windy chopy and big. Most boards if you are bouncing down a mast high wave you tend to bottle out and head upwind but with the acid you drop to the bottom and then crank in a bottom turn without thinking.
John