Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 5th September 2006, 06:16 PM   #1
windsurfer

Default How mutch bigger sail?

Hi

I am a big fellow, 220 lbs and 6 foot 3 inch. When I sail togeher with my more experienced and (mutch) lighter windsurfer friends, It seems to me that I need to rig bigger sails than my friends. When they sail on 100-115 L boards with 5.7 sails, I have to go up to 6.7 on my
150 L GO to get fully powered.
Is this normal, or is it just my lack of proper technique?
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 11:15 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: How mutch bigger sail?

Hello Windsurfer,
No, this is quite normal.
Heavyweight sailors need more power and the best way to get more power i[img][/img]s to use a larger rig.
Also, the GO 150 is significantly wider than the other sailors 100-115 liter boards and the extra width (which helps you to get planing) requires a little more power as well.
Nice thing about this is that with the wider footstrap offset on your GO 150 it makes it much easier to handle a larger sail as you have better leverage (footstrap offset) to control the board and fin.
In Formula racing, you may see both heavier and lightweight sailors on similar size sails, but that's to take them upwind and downwind at the extreme angles that formula courses demand. EVen at the top levels, there is a trend for even the heavier guys to use a bit smaller (but more powerfully rigged) sails.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote