Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 22nd June 2007, 02:44 AM   #11
Jay

Default RE: Quiver update: Retros vs Huckers for B&F

o2bnme - good stuff. Glad to hear the 6.6 Hucker is feeling good.
Did you tune it any differently?
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 02:56 AM   #12
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

I have it downhauled to the mark on the sail. I switched to the zFree 460. This truly feels much better than the Backbone 460 with this sail. The big thing is not trying to go out in 7.5 conditions with the 6.6 Hucker. You'll get on a plane if you rig the sail for the conditions, but you'll feel very sluggish. My 8.0 Retro is a better fit.

Also, I think if I had a chance to redo my board quiver, I would have purchased the iSonic 115 instead of the 105. The iS105 is great for me when the wind kicks up but I don't get steady enough conditions. I really should have a little more volume. It is perfect in salt water even with an 8.0 Retro onboard. Part of the reason I'm saying this probably has to do with the amount of time I'm finding I spend on my F-Type 148 and 8.0 Retro. There is a drastic difference between these two boards, but I go to the FT148 more often because it will get me on a plane sooner and upwind faster. I'll readily admit that I'm nowhere near as fast with the FT148 as I am with the iS105, but it is more about time on a plane and in the footstraps for me these days. Of course, when I get back to NC and start participating in the club races we hold down there, I'll be glad I have the iSonic for its speed. For me, it truly shines when I'm on my 5.6 Hucker. That's the combo I love it for.

I think I'm going to pull my AHD GT Special 73 out of the closet and go play on it. It has a little more volume, so should be a good fit for the wind I'm seeing right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:11 PM   #13
Jay

o2bnme, it sounds like the 6.6 Hucker, when rigged for 7.5 conditions, is a bit sluggish due the the increased drag from maxing out the foil's draft. I had been thinking that it may be possbile to get decent performance of 6.6 Hucker in 7.5 conditions (as well as a 5.6 Hucker in 6.5 conditions). But maybe that's a bit optimistic. Would I be better off assuming the sails can generate only about 1/2 m2 effective power than a comparable Retro across the board, even for the smaller Huckers?
Old 22nd June 2007, 07:22 PM   #14
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

That's probably a good guess, but don't forget that you can continue to use the sail in higher winds than you would expect... just downhaul the sail more.

My afternoon session yesterday turned into a 9.8 day. I took my 9.8 V8 out on my F-Type 148 and played around in ~15+mph winds. I'm getting more comfortable going out in strong winds with this combination. The FT148 really shines for me on days like yesterday.

I haven't figured out the forecasts for this area yet. Yesterday we were supposed to get 10mph winds and we got 15. Today, we are supposed to see 14mph winds with gusts to 20-23mph... we'll see what we end up getting!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 10:10 PM   #15
Peterk

My Quiver:
Retro 9.0 and 7.0
Hucker 5.6 and 4.8
Old Sailworks Cam 1+1 4.0 and 3.5

I have it all covered. the 4.0 and 3.5 are for the really silly days. Very few days they will be used.

The four new Sailwork sails is all I really need. I weigh 168lbs and I used the 4.8 on a 30knot day. When it blows 30, I should be on my 4.0.

The hucker has a huge range. It is not hype. Technically it has less twist than the retro but I gotta tell you; you can downhaul the crap out of it. It handled the high wind with my weight no problem. As a matter of fact, it was so stable that it actually scared me. I was looking for a throttle to slow the freakin' thing down.

The difference between the Hucker and the Retro? In my opinion, the Retro has give so you can throttle it down. The Hucker just wants to go faster when the wind cranks.

I like the Retro in the larger sizes due to the 2meter jump I have in my larger sizes. They are more forgiving and allow me to hang on by using the adjustable outhaul when wind the wind picks up. Once its windy though, I really like the locked in feeling of the Huckers.

That is one rookies eval of the Sailworks line.

Peter
Peterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 04:36 AM   #16
Jay

Petrek, thanks for sharing your experience, good stuff!
I've not heard it put that way, about the throttle on the Hucker vs the Retro, but it makes sense. The Huckers sound great but there are times I want to throttle down when overpowered instead of throttle up, particularly if the board I'm on is big for the conditions and I'm having trouble controlling it over the chop.
Old 28th June 2007, 04:44 AM   #17
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Jay,
The Huckers respond to adj. outhauls, just like the Retros.
If you want to "throttle down" add more downhaul or change to a softer tipped mast.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 06:41 AM   #18
Peterk

Roger is right, I have the adjustable outhaul set up on my smaller booms as well. With that said, I still find the hucker has less give when you get hit with the gusts. It is hard to explain. I accelerate very quickly. It probably has to do with the fact that it twists off less at the top than the retro. It is very controlled, nothing like my old rigs, which just want to throw me over the handlebars if I am not paying attention. It is a great ride, trust me.
Peterk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 07:07 AM   #19
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Jay,
And then there's the "universal to all sails" throttle.
Ease your sheeting angle a little and you get less power.
If you "sheet out" suddenly, this upsets the balance of everything (rig, sailor, board, fin), often resulting in a "yard sale".
However "easing" your sheeting angle slightly just reduces the power.
Set your harness lines up so that the rig "eases" automatically by placing the rear harness line attachment slightly forward of truly neutral and you get this "easing" just by releasing a little with your back hand.
I don't think you need to worry about the Hucker taking you into unwanted orbit somewhere high above the water, or taking you on a magic carpet ride to some speed never before attained on a windsurfer.
I can assure you that you will either ease the sheeting angle, or bail out, long before either of the above hypothetical eventualities.
Hope this helps,

Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2007, 03:01 PM   #20
Jay

Roger & Petrek, thanks for the additional input.
OK Roger, no accidental jumping for me on a Hucker!
Damn, I was hoping I would my first jump would be an accident just like the first time I planed it wasn't planned...
Good tip about tuning the back harness line for a bit of auto depower...