Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 28th June 2007, 07:10 PM   #21
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Quiver update: Retros vs Huckers for B&F

Hi Jay,
Well, I guess you could set up your harness lines to sheet in a bit, find a boat wake or something kinda wet and steep, turn a bit to hit it as square as you can
and...and... see how high you get.
Whether you end up a hero or having a minor yard sale is up to you.
Once you get into the air, the Hucker probably won't care.
I'm sure you'll get somewhere between having the fin clear the water, and Dale Cook flying above the truck (SW cover photo).
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 01:29 PM   #22
Jay

Default RE: Quiver update: Retros vs Huckers for B&F

Roger, funny you should say that - there was a post just today on rec.ws of a guy who did that - got his friend to take out the Mastercraft on his local lake in flat water and jumped the wake while windsurfing behind the boat. Photos in the post, check it out. He did say it was a bit tricky getting the timing right. With all the weight people are adding to boats these days to surf behind the boats the wakes are getting bigger and bigger. That plus you can get them to line up the wave in the ideal direction relative to the wind. Somehow I think if I try that at my current skill level I'd be having a yard sale...
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 09:48 PM   #23
filipl

Hi,

Ive been sailing with Sailworks Retros since 2000. Currently I have 8.0, 7.5, 6.5 and 5.5 Retros. I keep them at different locations, therefore the close gap between the 7.5 and 8.0.

Recently I bought a 5.6 Hucker and I really like it. I like it so much that Im thinking of replacing my 6.5 Retro with a 6.6 Hucker.

Ive been reading this thread and Im curious to know what You, who have written in this thread (o2bnme, Jay), and others!, think about the 6.6 Hucker.

Does it feel like a "bigger version" of the 5.6 Hucker?

Is it any ways different in feels and performance to the smaller Huckers?

Do Roger, or someone else, know if there will be any changes in the Huckers for 2008?

Filip
filipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 01:50 AM   #24
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Filip,
I just got off the phone with Bruce Peterson (owner/designer @ Sailworks) and there will be only a few detail changes between the '07 and '08 Huckers.
Very small details (reinforcements; etc.) that you probably won't be able to notice at all.
So, pretty much 98% of what we have discussed here is directly applicable to the '08 Huckers.
Hope this helps,
Old 4th October 2007, 02:49 AM   #25
filipl

Thanks Roger!

What is Your experience of the Hucker 6.6?

Does it feel like a scaled up version of the 5.6?

Filip
Old 4th October 2007, 07:07 AM   #26
vikingsail

I'd thought I'd post my experiences with my 6.6 hucker. I've used the sail with my Serenity, Madd 135 and Max2Air 264 (115 liters). I've found in light air it feels more powerful and does require a little pull to sheet in and start planing, but once it gets going it acts just like my 6.5 retro. I've installed one of Roger's pulley setups with an AO and probably have been over using it, but with our up and down wind it has saved me from the 25 mph gusts that roll thru. On the 135 I can keep up with the 8.0 people when the winds picks up. So my 8.0 is taking a well deserved rest as is my back. Basically I'm glad I've got it and cannot wait for my fall trip to Hatteras to try it in some steadier winds. (Roger- next week with BABA, yes the Serenity is making the trip.)
vikingsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 01:31 PM   #27
Jay

vikingsail (or Roger) -
Do you have a link to the "Roger's pulley setups with an AO" that you described?
Thanks
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2007, 02:28 PM   #28
filipl

Vikingsail:

My impression is that the 5.6 Hucker has about as much low-end power as my 6.5 Retro.

What is Your impression of the 6.6 Hucker? Does it feel like it has the power of a 7.0-7.5 sail?

One thing that I like with my 6.5 Retro is that it feels so smooth and well-balanced when powered up. Does the 6.6 Hucker feel the same when powered up?

Thanks,

Filip
Old 4th October 2007, 08:44 PM   #29
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Tom and Filippi,
For Tom: What "Roger's Adj. OH system" parts are you using..... just the Harken blocks on the clew of the sail, or the whole set up with Harken blocks on the boom as well.
I have some photos of the 623 blocks setup for the clew that I can send off to Filippi.
As far as the power of the 6.6 Hucker, again I submit that it makes alot of difference what mast you use and what your goal is.
Use a SW Backbone RDM, and you get max power. Use a Powerex 460 RDM and you get almost as much power but the upper leech twists off a little more.
Use the recommended 460 SW Joystick and you get slightly less overall power, with very limited twist.
AND
How much you downhaul and outhaul can really change the overall available power.
Do I think the 6.6 Hucker makes as much power as a 7.5 Retro?...... close, but as Tom (Viking Sail) suggests, if you take the 6.6 Hucker out when it's really 7.5 m2 conditions (i.e. < 14 knots probably) you can probably get going, but you could probably get going a little easier on the 7.5 Retro, simply due to the larger size/area of the 7.5m2.
If you have alot of 7.5 conditions, then I'd stay with the 7.5 Retro and trade in the 6.5 Retro on the 6.6 Hucker. If you are almost powered up on the 6.5 Retro a lot of the time then sell the 7.5 and get the 6.6 Hucker.
Yes, the Hucker will feel nicely balanced and smooth (even slippery with enough downhaul) in a slightly wider range of conditions than the 6.5 Retro.
Right at first (like the first few minutes) the Hucker may feel a little more powerful in the top of the sail (pitchy feeling) but you will adjust to that almost immediately and then the sail feels powerful, balanced, and slippery.
Hope this helps,
Old 4th October 2007, 11:28 PM   #30
vikingsail

Cool

I just have the clew pulleys with the harken's. I using the standard HPL tailstock on my new boom and one sailworks formula outhaul strap. I have yet to get pitched but I have scrambled upwind when a big gust hit. As always the sail politely sheets itself out.
vikingsail is offline   Reply With Quote