Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 24th June 2007, 11:46 AM   #1

Default isonic or jp slalom3 ?????

fatal question
I hesite with an isonic 111 or jp slalom3 109 and isonic 122 vs jp slalom3 119, the jp boards are more large and have more choice with sail
have you tested this boards??
thanks for your experience
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 03:23 PM   #2

Default RE: isonic or jp slalom3 ?????

Just look at the results, the iSonic wins every time.

Price wise you also save quite a bit of dosh going for the iSonics.

Performance wise the iSonics are easier to control on poor conditions and are easier to gybe. The JP carries bigger sails and works better in very marginal winds but the differencs is very minimal.
Old 24th June 2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Screamer

I use jp slalom 114 (not the last version) and I like iSonics that I've tried better. Not a fair comparison I know, as Jp is a few seasons older.
The only way to know for sure, is to test them back to back. New slalom3 looks interesting though, they moved the straps a bit inboard and gave the board more high end control/maneuverability.
Edit: they are a bit pricey, and you have to buy at least two fins on top of that. (which come standard with iS)
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2007, 06:53 PM   #4
Grant

The fact that the Isonics are successfull on the race circuit is more a testament to the capabilities of the racers I would think. Having said that I own a fleet of Isonics in addition to many other boards and it's the Isonics I now allways seem to pick. They plane out quickly and are fast and controllable on all points of sail - particularly upwind. If you get skeg, sail (and rig it correctly) and mast foot position right then I would think given sailors of equal sailing abilities it would be very tough to beat an Isonic - and of course equal luck when it cxomes to catching a gust at the right time!

Cheers,

Grant
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2007, 01:31 PM   #5
geo

I think that both iSonics and JP Slalom III are well developed designs and have correct performances. Probably each one has its own peculiarities, but I doubt that one can show definite superiority over the other. Weight and construction are on the same level too. Therefore I see no good reason to choose other than price, or personal liking for design/performanc peculiarities.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 07:19 AM   #6
ThierryP

I have iSonics 85 and 105 (2006) and a JP 94 (2006 as well). Both iSonics do everything better than the JP (going upwind -both angle and speed-, downwind, jibing, you name it...) except that the JP 94 obviously planes earlier than the iSonic 85. The JP 94 needs a bigger fin to carry the same sail. That board feels very nervous, while the iSonics are very smooth. A JP dealer (not the one who sold me the board) told me that the board that I bought is "awesome", so it must not be the ugly duckling in the JP range. I doubt that I will buy a JP again, I will stick to iSonics.
ThierryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 04:24 PM   #7

The JP slaloms have changed considerably from 2006 to 2007 range.
The 2006 and earlier models were known to be fast, but extremely difficult to get the performance out of them.
The 2007 range is much easier.

Planchemag did a nice side-by-side test of several slalomboards, including iSonics and JP's.
Old 3rd July 2007, 03:06 AM   #8

.....I have the isonic 111, just be aware that according to the ISAF website, volume measurements for the isonics always come up less that the model numbers (I think the 111 was actually 109 & the 115 from last year was 108), where the JP's weer spot on. This might sway your judgement between the models.