Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 25th June 2007, 10:12 AM   #11
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default RE: bubble on the bottom of the board

Can you further explain your idea steveC? To hone my future... etc. Do you mean save up for a "perfect" board? or get my jibes nailed before I get a smaller board? The main thing about the go is I hate the weight and the beginner footstrap positions. I never used them, never will. Don't use the center handle or the side fins or even the nose handle. I am pretty sure I got onto a plane sooner with the rocket too. Maybe I still have to figure out the wide board technique, but I was just wondering what you meant in your respnonse

thanks

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 12:25 AM   #12
steveC

Hi Thomas,

There's no doubt from your comments that you're mentally ready to move on to a different board, but let me better understand things a bit. From what I can tell, the GO has 3 different footstrap positions, with the most outboard ones designed for more advanced sailors. The fact that the board has more inboard positions available that you not using shouldn't be a problem. Most production boards these days have many footstrap options, even shapes targeting more advanced level sailors. Similarly, the GO's inclusion of other non-performance features that you don't intend to use means little in the big picture.

What I think is really eating you now is the added weight and volume of the GO. Mentally you want to move on and now feel trapped in a way with a slug of sorts. I can understand your dilemma, but I think it was in your best interest to let the Rocket go, as it had a worrisome construction problem. Looking to the future, I know that you're going to continue your quest to find a lighter and lower volume board that better meets your changing goals. Nothing wrong with that. But, in the meantime, you still have the GO, and it's very likely that there still some potential left that you can leverage off of to hone your skills. I don't know if you saw James' longboard thread on the forum where there was a video of this younger sailor doing a lot of trick board and sail maneuvers on a Starboard Start, arguably a much larger and heavier beginner's board. Although the focus was totally freestyle in nature, I still have no doubt that this kid could make that Start sing just sailing along.

I wouldn't worry too much about finding a more suitable board, it will definitely happen. Just make sure that its construction integrity is sound. Until then, try to think positive about what you've got, as you're still in a great position to have fun.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 02:13 AM   #13
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

ah k just wanted to make sure I understood what you meant. I actually thought there was some secret to make the go faster etc... I have tried my friends 44 cm fin and it loosens the board up a bit, but its still hard to jump ... But I was thinking, if I can get the go jumping, than when I get a smaller board, it should be a breeze to jump... kind of like hockey players skating with parachutes to make them faster.

But ya, im not getting the rocket... But I do like the larger supercross boards. Around 115-125 litres is perfect I think. Does any one have any suggestions for boards in that range that are good for speedier sailing and are reasonably good at jumping and learning loops? I have heard things about the kombat areo but are they good or bad?

thanks

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 03:16 AM   #14

smaller boards == less oppertunity to ride "fully lit" (concerning the fact that you are using your Go as often (always) as possible). Just get yourself a really cheap ADDITIONAL board (like < 400$CND). This way you have both.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote