Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 30th June 2007, 05:29 AM   #1
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg
Default 2005 freesex 110

I was thinking, since I want a smaller board, that I could get the freesex 110 2005. It has a big wind range... that I don't really understand (an 8.0 sail on that?) but was wondering what people thought. Im a lightweight... 64 kg and need a board pretty much right now that will be a light wind and heavy wind solution. I would probably use it mostly with a 5.8 and 6.6 and ocasionally with my 7.6 on lighter days. I have tried my friends kombat 95 and his hypersonic 105 and can uphaul them fine. I tried a friends carve 11 and have no problems with that either. So what do you think? is it an early planer?

Also, it comes with a 26 cm fin... if I was going to use it with a 7.6 and a 6.6 and a 5.8 and a 5.2, what size extra fin should I get? For a 7.6 mostly I guess, so I can keep some upwind ability and early planing since I won't be really busting any mad moves with a 7.6

Thanks for the help,
Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: 2005 freesex 110

Hi Thomas,
The Freesex is a dedicated freestyle board.
Not very fast, made to do spocks and other moves where you land the board backwards.
It has a wide range, and lots of "features", but all of them are freestyle specific.
In my opinion, it's not the type of board you need at all.
And, the Freesex 110 is a bit of a dog for light weight sailors.
It was designed as the "big guys" freestyle board.
Please keep looking....find a Carve, Kombat, S-Type, or Isonic.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

I agree with Roger here - the Freesex 110 is not the most natural solution for you if you don't do lots of freestyle. To help you with a more specific recomendation, it would be good if you supplied some information about which kind of sailing you do, or aspire to do. Freeride straightline blasting, freestyle, more manouver oriented "old school freestyle", combinations of the above, etc?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2007, 08:31 PM   #4
windsurferdagg

well... I just want this board to handle planing well inlighter 7.6 conditions, 6.6 and 5.8 conditions would be me learning freestyle l ike better chop hops, vulcans, air jibes and progressing with that. I just want the freesex to handle my 7.6 and be able to plane fast and be reasonable for going in lightwinds with a 7.6
Old 1st July 2007, 04:43 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

OK, so then you are doing freestyle after all. That changes things a bit. But still, I don't think the Freesex 110 is the earliest planing board, particularly not with a 7.6. Of course, its workable, but its not ideal. In your signature, you say you have a Go 139. For ideal performance with a 7.6, it seems better to replace that board with a big s-type or iSonic and then get a smaller freestyle board for 6.6 and down. If you want to go with a big freestyle boards, my advice would be to go with a big Flare (06 or 07). They have much faster rockers and with bigger fins they are quite nice freeride boards (ut you can still not load them up in the same way as the dedicated freeride offerings, of course). I weight 68 and my Flare 99 works good with a 7.0 Hot Superfreak in freeride type sailing.
Old 1st July 2007, 06:43 AM   #6
windsurferdagg

What else would you recomend? I want something to replace my go... I don't really like the board for the type of sailing I do. I want something fast with flat water and that I can chop hop etc when the conditions get a little choppier. I will sail this board with my whole quiver 7.6 down to a 5.0) untill I can afford a smaller board (around 90 L maybe). After I get that board, the one I am going to get now is going to be my light wind board.

I am not a big guy... 140-150 pounds tops. All I want out of this board is that it handles big sails (ie 7.6 etc) and it planes early... I do not want a carve or isonic. I had a tabou rocket 115 that I loved when I tried it, but there was a bubble on the bottom of the board... So I want something fast, manueverable but early planing. I don't care if it takes technique, I can learn that. I just want something as I said above. Early planing and fast. I wanna be able to chop hop it too. The rocket when I tried it was amazing for jumping when the chop got bigger.

I guess ya... Something around 115 L to 120 L for my board too. I was thinking maybe an s type 115. But I will have to see if it is an early planer or not.

Any suggestions anybody?
Old 2nd July 2007, 01:27 PM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

Then an S-type seems to fit the bill the best. I think that at your weight, the 115 will handle 7.6 well enough (maybe with a bigger fin for light 7.6 sailing). This board will be a bit big for powered up 5.0, but since you plan on getting a smaller boards later, it makes sense to not choose the current board to small. Of course, you could go even bigger, but I think that you will then loose out to much in the high wind range.