Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 2nd July 2007, 01:20 AM   #11
Per

Default RE: all this buzz of s types

Hi Windsurferdagg.
I have an S-type 115 and I have sailed it successfully with a 7.5 sail a lot. No problem. Anyway 7.5 is also the limit. If you want a bigger sail get a bigger board. For 7.5 I use a 37 cm freeride fin.
Regarding the St 115 as an only board option I decided to do the same two years ago. Sold all the bigger gear and stayed with the ST and three sails.... MISTAKE... even though the ST is a fantastic board (I can easily clock + 30 knots on mine and it jibes and jumps well) it's NOT a light wind board unless you are a very light person (I'm 97 kgs)..
I lost 60% of my TOW... Now I'v got a formula 159 as a supplement.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 06:12 AM   #12
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

Well.... Lots of responses at once. Where to start...

I want a board that isn't a carve just because I don't really like how the carve rides. I would rather have something dedicated to manueverablility and jumping power etc compared to just being able to go in a straight line and jibe easily. It is hard to explain. I just don't really like the carve line perhaps. A baised opinion I guess.

As for wanting to get rid of the go... ITS SO HEAVY! I want something like the Go I guess for lighter winds, but without all the un needed features like the beginner and intermediate footstraps, the side fin holes, the nose handle, the center handle... I just want something lighter.

I just had a nice sesh that I just got back from where I was juiced on a 7.6 sail, the 48 cm fin and semi flat water/rolling swell. This is where the Go "shines" or has its moments. It takes a while to get going, but once up its reasonably fast. If you get dialed in, where you are just comfertable, legs straight, hiked out over the water and everything, its not bad, but for me... I want to go FASTER! and jump higher... The go is so hard to lift up unless you have a smaller fin or it suddenly gets lighter. Sure if I hit a knee high ramp, im airborn... but who sails a 139 L board in knee high chop!

Since many people say get a bigger board than a 115 L, what do others suggest a size/model? I am only 140 pounds or I think 64 kg? I can get planing pretty fast on smaller boards.

And the carve thing? I guess I don't like having something thats ok at everything. I would rather have something that is dedicated to going fast, or jumping etc. I thought the s type would be good. maybe in a 125 L?

Tell me what you think,

Thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 07:40 AM   #13
windsurferdagg

Now that I think about it... since the last time I looked, t he carves seem a bit better.

Here is the perfect description of what I want... Like I said in my above post, I want something with straight line speed and when the chop builds up a bit, something to boast reasnable jumps with. Something like the carve 111... or the 121 but I am not going to go out in under 7.6 conditions, so It has to handle a 7.6 well too... Buying a fin is an option too.
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:32 PM   #14
Per

Hi Thomas
At 64 kgs the ST 115 is pretty big with a 7.5 sail for you (for me at 97 kgs that equals the biggest Carve with a +10 sail... theoretically)
You won't get planing in 8 knots though but with the right technique you will get going quite early... And the ST accelerates seriousely well, it's FAST, and it jumps and carves gooood, though in a very aggressive manner compared to the carves.
Try one if you can..
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 03:35 PM   #15

I really think you will fined the carves a lot better than your opinion of them. I know a number of people who have switched fro stypes this year to the carves to get a wider wind range without much loss in speed.

The stypes, I felt, had quite a narrow wind range and liked to be nicely powered up but not too overpowered. The carve works in all conditions and when it get really lumpy is easier to control. You should at least demo both models before you decide and maybe a Kombat at the same time. The Kombat is a very versatile board, while not as fast as the other two it will handle most conditions and jumps really well.

Phill104
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 11:02 PM   #16
Floyd

Just get a Carve. You will be far more imppressed with that than the S type. A well sailed Carve will match S type all day long and make loads more of the gybes.
A 121 would be fine.
Dont listen to the BS about carves being slow. They aint !
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 02:49 AM   #17

how about first geting a GPS and then determining what board your want. Cxxx are slow (might not feel that way but they are!)
Cxxx on the other hand is something good to learn things on. Maybe a seanson or two on a Carve and then an ST or whatever is then best to have then...

If you want speed in lighter winds a iS or Manta/Tracer is what you want.

In the end you will need at least 3 boards.
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:01 AM   #18
windsurferdagg

Ya I might just keep the Go for light winds or get a hypersonic (I tried my friends and liked it... it planes really fast) from 03 or 04 so its cheaper, and spend the rest of the money I get from my Go towards something around the 90-100 L board range... maybe an s type 93 or a kombat 95 or something. You think that would be better?
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:17 AM   #19
steveC

Thomas,

You're really all over the map about what you want. Where's reality here? Sooner or later one must pick a path and decide. Based on your mixed messages, you still might be too fussy and unfocused to think the situation out clearly. I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but the endless circle reveals your lack of clarity about what you really want.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 04:58 PM   #20

You dont want an S type thats a fact.
If they were half as good (or fast) as made out #B would not be dropping them !
BTW in right conditions no board is slow. Look back at some "old" speed results.
F2 Axis 41 knots ????
Seen 35 knots on my carve ! (10 second acerage too!)
Slow sailors reckon carve is slow; thats all it is.