Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 1st July 2007, 08:59 PM   #1
jordanwd

Default EVO recommendations..

So I blew out the fin box on My beloved 8'4" Bassett board (1999 vintage) at wddell a few weeks ago and am looking for a replacement. I weigh 200 # and sail quiver runs 4.2-->5.7. the wind range I'm looking for is 15-->25 knots or so. What would you reccommend? My gut feeling says go for the EVO 90 but then I am concerned that when it starts blowing 5.2 that it may be too big and not loose enough..Thanks!
jd
jordanwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2007, 09:01 PM   #2
jordanwd

Default RE: EVO recommendations..

^ addendum..
Also- what differences or "quirks" should I expect while riding a new shape board like the EVO compared to a more, older traditional shaped board...?
Old 2nd July 2007, 02:33 AM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

JOrdanwd, do you happen to know about what volume your old board had? If it was somewhere between 80 and 90 and you thought it was OK in size, chances are you would be better off with the EVO 80. The 80 has a bit more "drive" in the turn and handles speed very nicely. The 80 can still handle 5.7 even at your weight with an appropriate fin and for performance wave sailing the 80 probably is the best compromise (even though you will be struggling a bit on the light end).

If you want some reserve volume and an easier time in light and gusty stuff, the 90 is it. I don't think you need to worry about it not being loose enough since it is a very loose board.

As for comparasion in feel to your old board, its hard because I don''t know how your old board sailed. The EVOs generally have quite a lot more rocker than modern so called classic boards and hence "surfs" better, but in 99 most dedicated wave boards also had lots of rocker. The difference with the EVO is that it is so much easier and stable. Overall, if you're used to a wave boards from 99, I don't think you will have any problems getting used to an EVO. It's probably harder to go from a fast rockered modern wave board to the EVO since then one might be used to the kind of directional feel of such a boards and might have trouble adapting to the surfier EVO feel.

Please ask again if you want more info. I'll try to get some heavyweight to comment to.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2007, 04:48 AM   #4
jordanwd

Thanks for all the info Ola.!
My previous board was about 90 liters..it was shaped to plane up extremely easy in on-shore conditions yet was still extremely loose in side-off shore conditions as well-it was a great board .

As far as the EVO 90 is concerned- I guess what I reallly meant to say or ask was- when its blowin 5.2 (20-25 knotts for me)- will the EVO 90 still feel loose and dialed in- or will it be bouncing all over the place and hard to turn or will it still feel OK ?
I'm inclined to go w/ the EVO 80 but am concerned that I'll miss out on those 15-17 knot days w/ light wind and clean surf...

Not to swithch gears- but how do the EVO's fair in onshore conditions? Do they plane up easily (w/ the right fin ) to get through the impact zone or are they geared more towards side off conditions?
Also- what fin do you recommend (w/ both the EVO 80 & 90 ) ?

Once again thanks for all your help!
jd
Old 2nd July 2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

Since I only weight 150 lbs its a bit hard for me to predict exactly how the boards will work for you. I had the 90 and have the 80 now (+ the smller EVOs - the 80 is my light winder). Even for me, the 90 works nicely in powered up 5.3 conditions (but 5,3 for me would mean less wind than for you). I think it stays loose also when powered up, but the size makes it less good when it comes to handle chop for me, but with 50 lbs extra to put in, I'm sure this will not be a problem for you.

As for the 80, no doubt it will feel smaller overall and you will have a much harder time schogging through he impact zone in super light winds. But once on a wave, it will still be very effective accelerating and keeping speed and the better (faster) the wave is, the better it will go. Note that the 80 has a very wide tail, so even if you do loose speed a bit on a wave, it will not sink on you.

So again, its very hard to choose between these two. Generally, to get max all round performance from the EVOs you tend to go down a bit in volume compared to a traditional board. In the end it probably comes down to how much light wind comfort you're willing to trade for extra performance on the wave in good conditions. One way to phrase my recommendation would be to look at speed on the wave. The faster you go the more I would lean towards the 80. The team guys like Scott McK are able to generate lots of speed in pretty much all conditions and hence they are typically on very small boards for their weight.

So, both boards will work - which one you get is a matter of "tuning" your equipment to your style and competence.

Fins: You can consider the original fins as pure high wind fins for you. I doubt you will even need a smaller fin than the 24 on the 90. These fins sail very small for their size. I would complement with a 26cm Drake Natural for the light wind and onshore days. This seems huge for a wave fin, but it actually works very good.

Onshore: The EVOs have quite a lot of rocker and don't have the feel of "instant planing" that many fast rockered wave or freestyle wave boards have (Acid, Kombat). But the difference can easily be overcome with a bigger fin and some more work from the sailor. You more loose a bit of that relaxed "gliding along" feel of a fast rockered board in light winds than you loose actual planing performance. And getting through white water is very easy on the EVOs. If you want to ride wave (frontside) also in onshore or cross onshore conditions, the EVOs are just remarkable since they simply turn much better at slower speeds than its faster rockered cousins. The 90 has a bit rounder outline and will be even looser in slower onshore stuff, but the 80 is great too. I sailed powered up 4.5 cross on the other day on the Acid 74 and had a great time. Perfect size for the conditions and very nice working board. But then my wife sailed for a while on the EVO 80 and later I just grabbed that rig. And despite the 80 being kind of big for the conditions for me, there was an instant improvement in the wave riding. This is the key point of the EVOs. If performance on a wave matters, there are not many other boards that can match them. And the versatility on a wave makes them very tolerant when it comes to which size you're on. The "80 day" above I could have had just as much fun on the 62.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 03:23 AM   #6
scoob

hey jordanw and ola h,

You wanted a heavy weight to reply? Here i am. 98kg and 1.98mtrs tall. I´ve been sailing the evo 80 since 2003, (later on 83, but i guess there pretty much the same in bouyancy). It has done very well for me. I used to have a jp 250 pintail to use in extreme winds but hardly used it ´cause the evo worked better for me. I´ve taken it to australia and south africa a couple of times. Last season i decided to buy a 90 too. I´ve hardly used it. Just the occasional time when theres a good swell and almost no wind. I bought myself a 5.8 too for those occasions. I had managed with 4,2 to 5,4 for years.
The 90 works really well and is really easy to control. even in strong winds. The catch for me was that it works very good on the wave when your light to moderately powered up. As soon as you get powered up a little more it gets harder to get the extra width through the turn. By then i´m comfotably on my 83 which has no limits for me.
So in short.
The evo 80 takes care of 95 percent of my surfing hours and is therefore my main tool. The 90 is a good extension. Mainly as an extra when travelling. But you have to be lightfooted and have a well thought of stance. If you´re one of those heavy guys who have a hard time planing and compensate that with a big board and a square metre bigger sail than your friends I´d go for a 90 or practice on a better stance. Good luck

greets scoob
scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 04:44 AM   #7
jordanwd

thanks for the info Scooob;
looks like the EVO 80 is the ticket!
jd