Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 22nd July 2007, 04:42 AM   #1
droopy7

Default Fins s-type 137 2007

Hi,

Which fins are appropriate for an s-type 137 from 2007? With the standard fin, i have a lot of spin outs. I'm not very sattisfied by the original fin.

It's my biggest board so i want an early planing fin with good speed en control, otherwise i will have another smaller fin for topspeed and control in chop for more wind and smaller sails.

My weight is 72kg and i'm using this board most of the time with an 8.5 Neilpryde V8 2006, but also with an 7.5 and 6.5 V8 2006.

Which options i have for a fast planing fin with good topspeed and control for the 8.5 V8 and otherwise a fin with a huge topspeed and control for an overpowered 8.5 and 7.5 V8.

I'm interested in other drake fins than the original but other brands are also an option.

I was thinking for a DRAKE R19 RACE NR in size 48 and a DRAKE SLALOM SR6B in size 44. Are this good options? What about the slalom pro and R13 Race NR?

best regards
Wim
droopy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 06:49 PM   #2
droopy7

Default RE: Fins s-type 137 2007

Nobody any recommandations about fins for the s-type?
Old 24th July 2007, 12:17 AM   #3
steveC

While I can't speak from experience concerning the specific requirements of the S-Type 137, I can say that I've had very good luck with Tectonics fins. Given the size range you're considering, you might want to check out the F-8 Tomcat and Mirage designs.

http://tectonicsmaui.com/index.htm
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Wim,

Good choices, you will likely find the Drake Pro more workable with big/ger sails in marginal conditions, sizes around 48 as you suggested but as the wind picks up going to a slightly smaller SR6B (~44) will be good with overpower 8.5 and mid range 7.5m. Both these fins are more efficent fins and are more suited to outright blasting than the Freeride Drive II (stock, which is compromised somewhat in outright performance - especially in marginal conditions in favor of versatility).

Cheers ~ Ian

Of course, there are a bunch of other options out there too, but from the Drake range these are the ones.
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 11:48 PM   #5
droopy7

Hi Ian,

Has the slalom pro also good planing ability's? On the website of drake they say that the R13-R19 are more suitable for light wind and massive planing power?

Is 48 in slalom pro big enough for the 8.5 in low wind?
Old 26th July 2007, 06:47 AM   #6
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Wim,

Until you are planing, all the extra power (fin) in the world is going to be a benefit, but it's what happens AFTER you get planing that (normally) matters the most.

The R13 and R19 are definitely light wind, massive planing power fins, but in overall use too much so for the ST. These very vertical designs(R13/R19) are really optimised for Formula or Free Formula type boards with massive tail width and sailed in a very steady locked down state.

For slalom use, (or typical "blasting" sailing) fins with slightly more rake (and increasing rake as the fins get smaller) are more ideal for the optimum combination of control (rake) and efficency(vertical).
The design character/function of the ST is really on the "moves" side of Slalom, inferring an even greater tendency to rake over slalom.
Further, the the softer (bevel) rail of the ST (a positive benefit in control/comfort/safety at speed) doesn't provide the same "edge" as an equivilent hard railed slalom board (of same dimensions), which reduces slightly the ability to "set" the power of the fin against the rail of the board. (or in summary, the ST doesn't like as much fin/power as a similar sized slalom board, and obviously a lot less than for the same sail size on a super wide FW).

The 48 (rather than say the extreme 50-52cm) choice concedes a very small amount of bottom end/planing power, but returns a considerable amount of extra/better range/performance at the planing/top end. Most riders will consider it a more suitable choice to carry a little less than absolute max fin (requires maybe a little more work/effort to plane) in return for a much better overall "tuning" once they are on the plane.

The underlying principles of this apply to all brands of fins, even though here we discussed mainly the Drake models. Of course, in finer detail the differences in stiffness/twist/foil etc also have an influence on personal choice because of variations in specific fin/size/ride behaviour.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote