Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 8th July 2007, 04:58 AM   #1

Default F-type and smaller sails? FT and a beginner who starts to plane.

Hi all,

It was a 20+knots today. Since everybody was on 5.5-6m sails I decided that whatever board I have it's time to stop fighting with my max. down/out-hauled 7.5m (the smallest sail I have) and I rented 6.3. It made everything much easier and I was still able to get on plane easily. My FT 148 is the only board I have (I am 90kg).

So should I go and get a non-expensive, used 6.0 sail for days like today or it doesn't make sense with this board? What kind of sail (freeride or maybe freerace, and how about cams - I like cams in my 10.0) - I don't really care about top speed in high winds - it's scary enough anyway ;-), but I want easy turns and stability in strong gusts.

Thanks,

-marek

P.S.
Problems:
-----------------
Today for the first time I experienced the problem of getting OFF plane ;-). And I don't know if this is b/c I'm a beginner, but the speed of FT is amazing. Also, the chop just disappeares. I'm scared to the point that I'm simply afraid to hook in not even mentioning foot-straps (I hook in ok when not planning).

The problem is that when planing I always go way down with the wind (when I start planing the board just starts flying downwind faster and faster and I can't do anything about it). I try to push with my back foot sideways over the fin like advised here but it doesn't do it. I guess I would have to stand on the very edge of the board to get enough pressure to the side?
Help highly appreciated, as my every planning session ends way downwind and I have to fight my way back upwind, non-planing, which is very unpleasant in stronger winds.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 01:14 PM   #2

Default RE: F-type and smaller sails? FT and a beginner who starts to plane.

- lean the sail into the wind
- with your back foot you push across the board against the fin
- you also level out the board (keep windward rail up ever so slightly) with your back foot (push through the toes as well)
- with your front foot you pull the board towards the wind (you're not doing that yet)
- you lean forward (into to the direction you would want to go) and apply massive MFP doing so

if you do all of the above and still aren't going upwind, then you're not doing the above.

Usually people fight strong gusts by going upwind, thats seams to be a natural instinct. Its kind a strange that you're not...

as to the scared thing, get a smaller board for those occasions (any old second hand thing will do)
Old 9th July 2007, 11:20 PM   #3

OK, thanks for the tips.

How about the idea of 6.0 on an FT? Makes sense and if so what (generic) kind of sail for easy turns and stability?

-marek
Old 12th July 2007, 08:47 PM   #4

Sorry if I am annoying,..any chance to get an answer...Roger, anybody?

Thanks a bunch!

-marek