Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 4th July 2007, 12:20 PM   #1
danwindsurfing

Default Would a 133L Carve work

Hi Guy,

Great information on this forum for newbies. I think I have this mostly figured out now after the 6 months of online and Windsurfing Mag brain cramming. I have never windsurfed but alway's new I was for me. I can finaly spend the time and money to learn it.

My question is I would sail mostly in 12-15 km winds with probably a 7.2 Neil Pryde Saber sail (mabey the Hellcat). I'm 26yrs old 5'-7" and 155lbs and athletic. I'm looking for the one rig setup that I can learn, be challenged and not outgrow. I never give up and learn fast. I know learning on a carve might be harder then a GO but I just feel like the Carve is a happy medium with still being able to learn and yet have a board that will keep me trying to find it's limits for a good couple of years.

I'm looking for a personal answer. Cause someday's I feel like i'm sure i'm seeing this right, then Mr. X blog and seems he's suggesting something way off. My goal is to in the long run catch some good air good speed and do a few small trick for my own pleasure. Would also be nice if that Rig can take on a +-5km shift in the winds.

Should I make a adjustment to my board or sail sizing.

Wow feels good to get that off the chest..

Thanks Guy's
Daniel M.
danwindsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 12:53 PM   #2
rod_r

Default RE: Would a 133L Carve work

Hi Dan

I'll kick this one off :-). My feeling is that the board you learn on will not be the board you "get air, speed, and tricks on". Sure it is possible to learn on a carve, but it may not be around and in good enough shape in a couple of years when you are starting to want to do the other stuff.

15 km winds are only about 8 or 9 knots at best, and in that range, you'll need at least an 8m sail and 85cm wide board to be consistantly planing.

There are many possible combinations, so I'll let Roger go through them with you. He has taught thousands of guys in your situation.

Good luck and welcome to a great sport
rod_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 08:51 PM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Daniel,
I have to agree with Rod r. here.
You are looking at a Carve 133 (nice board, but not in 12 Km/h (6.5 knots) - 15 Km/h (8.09 knots) of windspeed.
You could learn all there is to know about sub planing ("schlogging") but you woulod never come close to planing (not even with a huge 10 m2 + rig).
If 8 knots is as much wind as you ever get there in Alberta, my guess is that you will soon be "traveling" to other more windy places to get your "windsurfing fix".
There are other boards that would come closer to planing, but they all require 10 m2 + rigs to give any sort of performance in < 10 knots of wind.
The most "exciting" board for your stated conditions would be the Serenity, and I won&#39;t suggest that board for a beginner.
A larger, wider board (Start, GO w/sidefins, Rio or one of the other entry level boards) is what you are going to need to learn your "basics".
Since it sounds like you are going to be "teaching yourself" even with these boards and a good 5.0-6.5 m rig you are going to "struggle" alot.
Get a few lessons somewhere and you would be "on your way" and beyond the entry level board and rig, but doing it by the "school of hard knocks" usually means it&#39;s going to be frustrating and it&#39;s going to take awhile.
That&#39;s what wider, more stable boards do. Learning the basics is a couple of magnitudes easier and the frustration levels are almost nil.
AND with a larger rig, these boards will get you closer to planing a whole lot sooner.
If you had 12-15 knots of wind, are willing to put up with the frustration and significantly longer learning curve, the Carve 133 would work with a 7.2 m2 rig.
Why you seem to be insisting on a Neil Pryde 7.2 m2 rig is also a bit questionable. Do you want to look "cool" or something? Has someone offered you this rig at a good price, or for free.....?
And, whether this rig will actually work for an entry level sailor is going to depend alot on what mast you get (NP&#39;s are fairly mast specific) and whether or not you can afford a light weight carbon boom.
Why not spend your money on a good trainer rig, or something easier and smaller (5.0-5.5 m2). Get a good 75% + carbon mast and a wave or freeride size carbon boom and you would have a lightweight easy to learn on rig.
Get a Retro or Retro Ripper 5.0 and you will have a great little sail that&#39;s got some power as well.
Sorry to "burst your bubble" here, but learning to windsurf by teaching yourself with online help from the internet, on gear that basically is totally unsuitable for your conditions is going to be a monumental task, and you may just get so frustrated (with the difficulty and the lack of performance) that you give up.
On the other hand, other sailors have managed somehow to progress to the levels you aspire to, in unfavorable conditions, on totally unsuitable gear, so do not take my warnings as anything but friendly warnings that there are easier ways to do this. It&#39;s not impossible on the Carvve 133 and the NP Saber 7.2, but why anyone would deliberately build in so many roadblocks/hurdles to get over is incomprehensible to me.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 11:40 PM   #4
danwindsurfing

That really hit&#39;s home. I will most likely travel on occasion to sail some higher winds but looking a the wind paterns I have to see the reality that on most day&#39;s 15km, is what I can expect.

I like the GO and my local shop does carry it, Would a 139L be enough or should I get the 155L??

I wanted the Neil Pryde because it&#39;s a nice sail, I guess "cool" is a side factor but honnestly I was thinking it was a good match to get the maximum out of the board.

My local shop does carry sailworks sails so thanks for suggesting the Retro I&#39;ll seriously check it out. I&#39;m thinking I should go bigger the 5.0 for my winds??

This shop does offer courses and was planning on starting with that. I all ears when someone wants to give me advice and tricks of the trade.

Here is the link of my local shop is ever your curious to see what at my disposition.

Thanks again Rod and Roger!!

Dan,
danwindsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2007, 01:00 AM   #5
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

Go 139? I have one... Great for learning on and I am selling it. I am in canada too

Let me know if you are interested. Its really stable and great to learn on. I just want something a bit faster. But I have been on it with a 5.8 when others have been on a 73 pure acid and 5.3. It is pretty fun, but ideal for flat water. I had this conversation with roger about the "ideal board" from my experience of trail and error asking biszilions of questions... I would say get something bigger and learn on it... than keep that for light winds. after that, you can buy a 90-100 litre board for your tricks etc that would handle around 15 knots and up... but usually most people have 3 boards... I still only have the Go, but am looking at another one. The go is for sail so pm if you are interested
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote