Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 9th July 2007, 06:05 PM   #1
Hank

Default q on isonic and sails

Hi there.

I currently run on an isonic 87, very nice board indeed. My weight is 78 kg's and my current quiver is Severne CR 6.7 and 5.6, works very nice.

The recommended sail range for the 87 is 5-7 sq m, but as this is my only board I'd like to push it to the limit, and a bit beyond as this is my only board so far.

When hitting 26-27 knots I find that I'm reaching my limit with the 5.6 CR, it's possible to sail, but it's not really comfortable. So I'm looking at getting a smaller sail in order to extend my range.

I would like to stick with race sails (CR type) as I like the feeling of that type of sail.

Question is, would the 5.1 do the job, or is the gap too small ? What are your experiences ?
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 09:18 AM   #2
Screamer

Default RE: q on isonic and sails

Hi Hank
I haven't sailed iS87, but I can offer you my experience wrt to sail carrying range. I was in situations when I wanted to extend a board's range to the max, and beyond (as you say). I believe that there is a limit to which you can push this, and after that you don't really gain anything. Example: iS122 quoted range is 6.0 - 9.5 sails. My findings (and other sailors' too) are that I would never use it below 7.0/7.3 or above 9.0, unless I was very heavy, very light, or for easy freeriding (not powered slalom blasting).
On top of this, I don't think that going to a 5.1 would be justified (about 9% to your next sail). Above 27 knots (force 7), the water state will play a significant role.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 09:18 AM   #3
Screamer

Hi Hank
I haven't sailed iS87, but I can offer you my experience wrt to sail carrying range. I was in situations when I wanted to extend a board's range to the max, and beyond (as you say). I believe that there is a limit to which you can push this, and after that you don't really gain anything. Example: iS122 quoted range is 6.0 - 9.5 sails. My findings (and other sailors' too) are that I would never use it below 7.0/7.3 or above 9.0, unless I was very heavy, very light, or for easy freeriding (not powered slalom blasting).
On top of this, I don't think that going to a 5.1 would be justified (about 9% to your next sail). Above 27 knots (force 7), the water state will play a significant role.
Old 10th July 2007, 03:01 PM   #4
LK

Hi Hank

5,6 Severne CR shold be fine in 26-27 kn. Do you have the right mast and trim(downhaul, cam and batten tension) ? I use 6,1 CR in 25-30 kn (95 kg)

LK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 03:28 PM   #5
geo

Hi,

I second Screamer's view. It's mainly the water surface state relative to board and fin that puts a limit in higher winds; not the sail usually, as modern race sails can really take a lot. And at 78 you are relatively light, but not that much light after all.
If I was in your shoes, I'd rather try with smaller fins. 26-28, depending on construction, would tame the ride quite a bit and let you use your 5.6 more easily. Personally I (84 kg) find a Deb SL2 32 is just perfect on my S95 and 6.3, unless the water is very rough, then it's 30; so I guess you can go down one size for the sail size, and another one for the body weight.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 09:22 PM   #6
Hank

Thanks for the feedback and good suggestions.

I'm aware of the water role, there's a significant chop, but I don't feel that the board is uncontrollable or unpleasant, it behaves relatively calm. Was using it with a 32 Techtonic Goldwing, better performance than the stock, and the suggestion on choosing a fin between 30 and 28 seems wise.

Sail trim was quite "hard" extra 2 cm downhaul and full outhaul. Rig felt beyond limit, was controllable, but not enjoyable in the strong gusts.

Going from 5.6 to 5.1 is not enough ? What about going from 5.6 to 4.6 or even a no cam sail of 4.8 ? Suggestions and/or experiences ?
Old 10th July 2007, 11:56 PM   #7
Screamer

Hank
Please don't be swayed by my comment re. sail quiver gap, since I haven't sailed neither the board nor sail in question. Maybe it'll work for you, but be sure to try smaller fin initially. Some people reported using iSonics with no-cam Huckers.
My opinion is that for recreational use, these gaps (less than 10%) are not very practical/economical.
Old 11th July 2007, 12:32 AM   #8
Hank

Thanks, I understand, will test with smaller fins first.

I agree with your opinion about the small gap, that's also why I was loooking for input from others, like, does a .5 gap difference really extend the upper level enough ?

There was once a rule of thumb about app 15%, now that would mean that I should be looking at something in the 4.8 range. But was just thinking, and maybe even hoping, that it could be pushed to an extent where the 5.1 could do the job.
Old 11th July 2007, 01:06 AM   #9
Phill104

Hank,

I've sailed my iS87 with a 4.5 and a 26cm fin and the combo felt fine (I'm 85kg). Is wasn't so much the board sail combot that was a problem that day but the big messed up chop we had on the lake. I think on a flat venue such as West Kirby or The Ray (speedstrips in the UK) that it would work well down to this size for my weight.

There does come a point where a smaller board is really needed though but I think that is more down to an individuals preference, ability and chosen location when we are talking pushing a boards range by such a small amount.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 02:23 AM   #10
Hank

Phil, sounds great that the board behaves ok despite being pushed beyond its "recomendations".

As for the sail gap, do you - and others, agree upon that the difference from going from 5.6 to 5.1 is too small ?

What sizes does your sail quiver have in the smaller sizes ? Type and/or brand of sail ?