Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 9th July 2007, 11:09 AM   #1
cgreel

Send a message via AIM to cgreel Send a message via Yahoo to cgreel
Default Size Guide for Uphaulers?

I've been windsurfing off and on for years, still not skilled in beach start. Is there a scientific way for people to calculate what is the minimum volume board they can uphaul for their weight?

My stats - 6'0" 215lbs (98kg). I'm leaning towards a Go 170 if it is stable enough to uphaul, otherwise I'd select the Go 183. I generally sail in 15-25 knot conditions with a 5 - 6.3 sail. I have 4 sails 4.7 - 7.8.
cgreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 07:45 AM   #2
Screamer

Default RE: Size Guide for Uphaulers?

Chip
Here is a "scientific" way to calculate needed volume: your weight + gear weight + some reserve (depending on skill and a lot of other factors, anywhere between zero and 50+ litres) = volume in litres. If you've been windsurfing for several years (on what board, btw?), a Go170 should give you plenty of reserve, no worries.
As you progress, you'll want a smaller board, especially if you get a lot of 20+ knots conditions, then a Go will become a big sail carrier only.
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 02:23 PM   #3
stingray

There is a very good article with photos on this link:
http://www.calema.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=55

I am 95-98kg and I can uphaul 110 liter board with sails <6.2 if I realy have to but that is a stunt. Realistically I think 25 liters extra volume above ones weight is a good rule of thumb for uphauling.
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 11:51 PM   #4
WSguy

Do you want to remain at the same level of competence, improve your skills at uphauling or learn how to water and beach start? When my uphaulable board was stolen, I was forced to work with the boards I had picked up used that were too small to up-haul. This forced me to learn how to water-start. You shouldn&#39;t buy a board that will encourage you not to improve or learn some basic skills. You&#39;ll be able to learn how to water start in no time with a small board in higher winds. You can also up-haul a 125 or 130 liter board and sail it in light winds. Of course a larger board will be easier to do it, but that will curtail your high wind ability.
WSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2007, 12:55 AM   #5
HappyHappyJoyJoy

15+ knots! You are very very lucky. It can take you only 15 minutes to learn how to water start with the right instructor. Even in light winds when you have to uphaul the maximum board for you would be 160l, not more. Try at least a 145l board first.
HappyHappyJoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote