Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 25th July 2007, 06:04 PM   #11
Floyd

Default RE: Heavyweights Waveboard

Getting a higher volume board from a board we know works well is one of the few places where the maths works for us.For example if you took an EVO 90 and made every dimension (width; depth and length) just 2% larger. (ie increase sizes by a factor of 1.02) then the volume would be increaded by just over 6%. (Volume ratio increase would be 1.02 cubed or 1.061) (Explanation ;not a maths lesson; sorry)
As increases are bigger so the volume increase is proportionally bigger.
So to get a 105 litre EVO we would only have to enlarge a 90`s dimensions by 5% (Approx, it would come out at 104 litres)
Now I`m not saying that board would work; probably in the mix of things it wouldn`t; but my point is the volume increase is the easiest to achieve)
IMO its just that the market doesn`t want enough EVO 105`s (At the moment; but the sailing population as a whole is getting older and fatter so you never know ???:@ It might happen ? Is the average wave sailor getting heavier ??? (They reckon 4 kilo`s per decade is the norm???)B) Look over last decade; wave board max size(litres) has gone up by about same ???Coincidence or marketing ???
Floyd
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 07:47 PM   #12
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Roll on August ..

Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 05:42 AM   #13
mark h

Evo 100, advertised in this months Boards Mag. Might be tempted myself, its about time I learned how to wave sail, at 100kg, the Evo 100 might be just job (but after I'v got my new iSonic's).

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 08:28 AM   #14
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Roll on Boards Mag

and August !!

Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2007, 02:38 PM   #15
Ola_H
TEAM

How to "scale up" boards is an issue I'm very interested in and I've been talking to many shapers about it. Most agree that just linear scaling does not seem to work that well. Of course, a 1.02 scaled up board would not be a disaster but if the original was "magic" the upscaled variant would probably not remain magic. If you look around, very few boards actually are scaled variants of another board. Instead each version is carefully developed in its own right and tested against lots of different protos as well as its predecessor if there is one. If you look at the 2007 Pure Acid range, the Kombat range and the EVO range, you will find that despite there being a common design concept within each range, each board has its own set of parameters and unique shape because that was what worked for that particular size. Same thing goes for any 08 addition...

BTW, one thing that does happen when you scale up a board is that the curvature changes. The rocker measured in millimeters would increase (linearly), but the curvature would actually decrease by the inverse of the scaling factor (math at work again...).
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2007, 09:15 AM   #16

Default RE: evo 100

More details, please !
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 02:32 PM   #17
Ola_H
TEAM

Specific details on the big EVO will happily be discussed on aug 15...
Old 31st July 2007, 01:32 AM   #18

Did Antoine have a lot of input on the larger EVOs? I remember you saying (someplace) that he can now plane up at the same time as Boujmaa (of course Antoine is on larger wave gear!). So the larger gear has helped level the playing field?
Old 31st July 2007, 03:01 PM   #19
Ola_H
TEAM

Antoine was certainly a part of the development team around the new big EVO and it is he was extremely happy about it when I talked to him in Guincho. This is when he said that he could now plane as early as the light guys. So yeah, maybe that board is helping to level the playing field.
Old 2nd August 2007, 12:25 AM   #20

Try dunckerbecks Thommen/Proof design... thats a nice board for heavy riders...