Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 27th July 2007, 05:39 PM   #1
milovanriel

Send a message via MSN to milovanriel
Default Which choice

I practised some windsurfing a few years ago. Im completly out of the world but decided to start again.

The problem that I face is that I have a Bic board which I think has around 160L. I tried to sail in the northsea where the waves are long and deep if there is a good wind. I have 2 problems.

I try to do a waterstart but I experience that I'm not able to lift my sail out of the watter. So what kind of sails do I use today? With or without Camber? I have a 6.4 without and this is like lifting my mother in law out of the water. No Cambers inside.

So when I can not get out of the water I have to move my 95Kg out of the watter and get on my board to lift the sail out. Please stop smiling .

On my bic board this is not possible because I sink and the board is not stable. So Im looking for a board which can hold my weight and at the same time gives my the possibility to grow. Also the possibility of gybe on this board is a must.

I saw the Go 185 with a lot of volume. But it is so small? Do this small boards give the same stability then the older boards with the same volume?

Also please advice or give me a link where I can learn more about the sail which I can use. I understand it is not your task to give me the beginings of windsurfing, who knows I'm a potential worldchampion .

Thanks for your effort in coming back to this request.

Greetings
Milo Van Riel
milovanriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2007, 09:08 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Which choice

Hi Milo,
At95 kg.,the GO 185 will give you the volume and width you need to be able to uphaul easily.
It has lot's of room for "progress" as you can put larger rigs on it and have a really nice large floaty shortboard that goes prerry well in light winds (down to about 10 knots for a fellow your size with a 9.5 m2 rig.
The reason your older BIC 6.4 m2 rig is so heavy is the fiberglass mast.
These masts were inexpensive, but heavy.
Modern masts weigh about half as much as the blue green BIC 460 cm mast from the 80's.
So, get a modern high carbon 460 cm mast and and modern lightweight aluminum boom (or carbon if you can afford it) and your rig will be much easier to uphaul.
Put this rig on the GO 185 and with it's wide, stable design you will be sailing around in no time.
Hope this helps,
P.S. Also, get some lessons on larger boards like the Start if they are available in your area. This will cut weeks or months off your learning curve.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote