Old 3rd August 2007, 12:33 PM   #11
qldsalty

Default RE: sunken mast track

Great to see such excitment. I have the 2005 Hyper which is the same bar graphics. I use an 8.4 RS6 and 6.7 RSRacing on it. I found to plane early get your weight down low while bearing off and as soon as you feel a gust sheet in and drive your feet forward. Don't over pump when nearlly going. Do short pumps and the concaves will do the rest. To get it going in a true 10kns I use a 49 select and once on the plane it stays on the plane. When powered with 8.4 I go to the 42 supplied. The 34 is the best fin I have ever owned. I use it on the two stypes as well as the hyper with the 6.7. I have the later model on yours which is made out of diffent material, but you should still get a lot out of it. A friend of mine rides the same board and he is getting some great speeds out of his when I'm on the Stype. Ivcan pull away off the wind in strong conditions but he kicks my butt going back upwind after bearing off. You will grow to love that hyper so much you'll never sell it. I've tested a couple of Isonics now but can't bring myself to change. It's overall ability is second to none.
qldsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 08:24 PM   #12
windsurferdagg

Send a message via MSN to windsurferdagg

I am going out today. I will try jibing again today and use those tips. I think I was actually scared to try jibing. I havn't had much success and I was pretty overpowered with that big heavy 7.6 (35 % carbon mast :-( ) I can maunever everything well... its just getting the stupid sail out of the water. clearing the rig in chop was hard...

In very overpowering conditions, where should my mast track be? I had it pretty far back. Should I put it further forward? like at the center mark? I was afraid this would make the board even flatter, and I would be done if I hit any chop:-(

Also, what footstrap positioning should I have for speed control? I like a bit wider stance, so I have them set on as far outboard as you can get, and the front straps middle holes and the back strap furthest back. It is really funny. I learned on the Go with outboard straps. Now, I really can't get used to wave boards with inboard straps...

Any tips for big sails in chop? I find uphauling always busts up my hands. The uphaul is murder for blisters. In really strong wind for that sail and chop, I find I try and get the mast perpendicular to the wind like I always do with smaller sails, than the board always seems to pull the sail downwind in 2 seconds... so the mast is pointing right into the wind

PLANING TACKS? HAve to try them. But what I am going to try today is... Go out from the beach into the middle of the lake, tack (I am more consistent wit them) come back and try jibes in the inlet (nice sand and waist high water for a while). That way when I fall on jibes, I can touch and easily clear the sail and keep going again.

thanks you two. I would be amazed how early the board will plane with the 42 cm fin. I could get planign earlier then everyone on a 34 cm fin...

later,

thomas
windsurferdagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 11:09 AM   #13
windsurferdagg

alright. I am obsessed with slalom sailing now. There is NO comparison between my hyper and my old go. So much faster, so much more control... I can't say enough.

I tried some tips roger, and I got some carve jibes today!!!!!!! It seems with the hyper, I have more speed, have more confidence in carving, since I hve more speed and it almost seems more confidence that I will sail out of it and not stop half way through the jibe. I really got low, back foot out of the strap, hand back, unhooked, hung off the boom (which I raised to nose height which makes an amazing difference with early planing...) and beared away, then straightened front arm more, let the sail pull me into the carve, got bent knees and leaned sideways, not forward, into the carve. I can get all the way around now, afterwards I either stay clew first and straighten out, or flip the sail while moving my feet if I am less powered.

Early planing was interesting though. I raised the boom like I said before and I found flutter pumping while going downwind helped. I would flutter pump (just moving back hand in and out while hooked in) then slip into front strap, then flutter pump more, then get into back strap and really bear away until planing, then resume my across the wind angle to get more apperent wind and speed up more. Has this worked for you?

I still can't seem to unlock the whole upwind angle that the hyper is apperently so good at. I can go upwind, but it seems I have to be really powered. If I lift with the front foot, push very hard with the back foot, and rake the sail back while leaning forward, it seems like I am going to get off the plane unless I am very powered to overpowered. What angle should I be able to point? I am fully planing, not half planing.

Also, with the hypers shape, can I still ride the fin like I can with other boards? What technique gets it up to riding the fin? It seems like I am having trouble with the hyper. I had no problem with the Go

Thanks alot,

Thomas
Old 4th August 2007, 11:48 AM   #14
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
Yes, I found that flutter pumping and fin pumping (once the board is fully on plane but not yet up to full speed) worked the best.
I used to term this more as "ooching" than pumping, as you had to get everything pretty much right and the board would just "take off" but it wasn't something that seemed to be eactly the same technique all the ttime. Perhaps the Hypersonics (when underpowered) respond a little differently depending on the fin and rig you are using. The board kinda "retunes" itself, and then the sailor has to figure out what's changed and what now works. Sure builds a lot of new skills I'll tell you.
As far as getting your HS 111 upwind, remember you are on a smaller fin and slightly narrower board, so you need to get up to full speed, then lift with the front foot and push with the back foot, but do it progressively and gently.
The Hyper will go upwind higher and faster than your GO 139 did, but you have to "finesse" it a bit more.
So, no "hard turns" upwind until the board is really up to top reaching speed, then "coax it" upwind and keep the speed up.
It's easy to take it too high and have the speed begin to b*** off. When this happens, lighten up on the fin a little and ease a little pressure off the front foot (lifting up here) so the board foots off a bit and gains the speed back.
Then ease back up a little and find the angle (it changes depending on how powered up you are) where you can get both the best speed and best angle. Don't try to go higher as you will be going at angles that only formula boards can exceed.
I used to drag race a lot of sailors on dedicated slalom boards (the older narrower style) and I could easily drive them upwind until they lost their speed, then drop of a little and leave them in the dust.
Or, head upwind, while maintaining the same speed as the slalom board, then head off and pick up quite a bit of speed and just blow by in front of them.
You'll get used to it. It's a very "different" and unique board, and you've probably only scratched the surface of it's full performance potential.
And you did this in 2 or 3 sessions.... that's pretty incredible!
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2007, 09:07 PM   #15
windsurferdagg

fin pumping? what do you do there? Push against the fin like you see the formula sailors do? can you explain how you do this?

Thanks a lot,

Thomas
Old 4th August 2007, 09:27 PM   #16
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
Fin pumping is where you pulse push against the fin to loosen the board up when it's a bit sticky.
It would be very similar to "flutter pumping" your sail ( and with good technique you can try both at the same time).
You just "jab" the fin slightly, not enough to raile the pressure to the point of spinout, but enough to kinda "wiggle" the back of the board which often helps the board to "unstick" and acellerate more quickly.
It needs to be done when your have both feet in the straps and the rig partially raked back and partially sheeted in.
Biggest problem many sailors have is trying to get things going too quickly. Unless you are very powered to overpowered on your rig size, you have to "manage" all the factors and work up to speed one stage at a time.
Yes, when you are powered up, it looks like all one fluid movement, but the more underpowered you are, the more you need to stretch out the time frame for each stage. It still looks like one fluid movement to someone on shore, but out on the water, you are moving from stage to stage at a rate that keeps your board accellerating.
Hope this helps,
Old 6th August 2007, 01:23 AM   #17
windsurferdagg

Im still trying to figure out this fin pumping bit. So I would bear off, flutter pump, get front foot in, flutter pump some more, then back foot, then what? kinda wiggle the back foot to get the back of the board loose, then straighten those legs and get going? I tried it yesterday and I could not get it to work. is it like trying to get a skateboard or snowboard going with out going down a hill or pushing? that little lunge forward almost?

I was experimenting a lot with different pumping techniques and I did get some real full body pumps... these worked well, but it only worked with the 42 cm fin.. the 34 was just too small it seems.

I aslo was wondering if jumping a slalom board is any different to jumping a wave board. I sw some great ramps yesterday and I had a lot of speed. It would have been killer to just jump. Right now I am talking about jumps just clearing t he fin and small ones. This won't damage the board will it?

with straps in the most outboard, pushing with the back foot doesn't raise the nose as much as it sinks the windward rail and I go straight through the chop :-( Is there something different to slalom boards?

Thanks a lot... and y ou were right. friday I got carve jibes really well (carving part) but yesterday, it just didn't work. It seems some days you get it, others you don't... the only difference I can see is having more power, and a smaller fin. I kept getting backwinded... like carving around, then getting flattened (even before going dead downwind...)

thanks again...

thomas
Old 6th August 2007, 09:49 AM   #18
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
As far as "pumping the fin" you need to just jab or "pulse" the fin a few times, without changing the roll trim of your board (which should be as flat as you can keep it).
Yes, the Hpersonic can be pumped with the larger fin, but pumpng is less effective with the smaller fin.
You can do some "chop hops" or just "get some air off the top of rolling wind waves without hurting the Hyper at all. Be careful when landing that your get the board back down flat, rail to rail, and try to get the fin down first. It's not really meant to be jumped, but give it a try and see how it works for you.
On your comment:
"with straps in the most outboard, pushing with the back foot doesn't raise the nose as much as it sinks the windward rail and I go straight through the chop :-( Is there something different to slalom boards?"
You seem to missing the point here, or you were really underpowered, need to shorten your lines, or something.
To go upwind "on the fin" your entire weight must be supported by the rig.
There should be virtually no weight on your feet at all. Your legs and feet just steer the board.
So, pushing with your back foot will never "raise the nose". You set the fore and aft trim (how high the nose is raised) by your mast foot postion. For someone your size, I'd suggest keeping the mast foot in the back 1/2 of the mast slot. Putting it forward of the half way point will flatten the board too much and make the board very "sticky".
Lift and pull with your front leg/ foot and push across the top of the fin and across the top of the water with your back foot.
At no time will this pulling and pushing ever lower the upwind rail.
You really want a slight bit of lee rail on your board so the water all splashes out on the upwind side and the lee rail is pretty much in green water all the time, with not much "splash".

If you are getting back winded on your carve jibes you are flipping the sail too late and going way to far around. Try to come out of your jibes at or below a beam reach on the new tack.
Hope this helps,
Old 6th August 2007, 10:25 AM   #19
windsurferdagg

I wasn't talking about pushing the back foot trying to go upwind. I have no problem going upwind now at a good angle. I figured out you can't expect to just push hard on the fin and do all the stuff you need to go upwind and expect imediate results... You have to keep it constant, gradually loading the fin more and more and you will steadily go upwind at a greater angle.

I was talking about jumping technique. Like with a wave board, you push down wind backfoot to raise the nose then pull up etc with everything else and get into that crouched stance and footsteer the board off the wind again.

My question was, What do I need to do to jump a slalom board? Thats what I mean... I tried getting my weight over the board more and pushing (like olieing a skateboard) with my hyper, but it felt wierd and I just carved upwind. That is what I meant.

Jibing, I will try releasing the sail earlier. How do the people do those crazy laydown jibes? Don't they get backwinded? or am I just holding that sheeted in stance too long. That would make sense. Once my friend gets back from out east, I will get him to take a sequence shot and I will edit it together. I feel like letting the sail go early just gets the jibe going slower or something... not as fluid I mean

Sorry for the confusion and thanks a lot for answering all these questions. I was lucky enough to get a wierd 3 days in a row of quality powered 7.6 conditions. It seems like the 7.6 race/slalom sail I have (naish redline from 06) is a very good match with the hyper

Thomas
Old 6th August 2007, 10:46 AM   #20
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Thomas,
Ok, I'm not sure where you came up with the jumping sequence your describe, but if it works for you.....?
How about finding a good steep ramp, crouching so you can "spring up" when the board "pops" off the ramp, and then hauling the rig out pretty flat so you get a bit more airtime.
If you are trying to do flat water jumps, go ahead and try, but I think finding ramps and using them will prove alot more effective.
On the jibing, if you are cranking around with the sail oversheeted, in not too powered conditions, I'd suggest trying to keep the rig slightly powered on the way in, flipping before you are straight downwind, and then starting to sheet in on the other tack when you are still well below a beam reach.
Don't see how you can back wind doing this...?
Laydown jibes are simply regular jibes where the rig gets laid way over on the entry. The rig comes back up and gets flipped just like normal once you get around to nearly down wind.
Hope this helps,