Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 23rd July 2007, 10:08 PM   #1
WSguy

Default Drilling holes in your fin.

On rec.windsurfing I found a five year old discussion about fin weight. Someone was complaining that their 3.5 lb. fin was too heavy. One poster stated that fin weight really wasn&#39;t a big factor on a rig and so far I have to agree. Another poster, Dan Weiss, added >> If the weight bums you out, just drill two or three holes in the head of the fin using a hole saw. Done correctly, you won&#39;t do much to hurt the strength of the fin inside the box and you will take off a few ounces. Nothing like dead weight to slow you down! << How much sense does this make?
WSguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2007, 11:19 PM   #2

Default RE: Drilling holes in your fin.

We used to drill holes accross fin to help prevent spinout. (We used to think it worked but we had to say that)
Fin weight is still part of all up weight and needs accelerating / decelerating just like any other part.Its buoyancy is negligble and its loads heavier than water so IMO a light fin would be beneficial.A light broken one would be a liability though !
Fins were avalable that were foam filled. Not seen any for a while though. I had one years ago that actually floated ! (All top dinghy fins(rudders etc) are foam core carbon fibre laminate.
Surely someone still makes them for boards ??!!
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 07:56 PM   #3

Default RE: Drilling holes in your fin.

Brucie,

Try drilling some holes in your head,it might relieve the "pressure".

Best regards,
Dr Pugwash
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote