Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 1st August 2007, 03:16 PM   #1
henry67

Default 90kg and 7.5...what size board?

Hi guys,
I would like to know which could be the best solution for me: I'm 90kg and I use mainly a 7.5 sail in 13-18 knots.
Thanks
Henry
henry67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 03:21 PM   #2
henry67

Default RE: add-on....

I was forgetting... with reference to a pure slalom board iSonic....
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:24 AM   #3
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: 90kg and 7.5...what size board?

Hi Henry,

iS122 will be a good safe choice for 90kg 7.5m.

If it's a solid true 13-18 kts, iS111 also being very suitable and even iS101 possible.

A key factor in the choice will be other sail sizes and/or which end of that range you will spend most of your sailing time in. In that wind range, personal sailing/tuning style/experience also plays a role, as some riders prefer the ride/handling of a smaller board offset against a higher technical/skill/energy input vs others who choose a more "automatic" performance with a bigger board at the expense of a little top end potential..

Local water conditions (severity of chop) will also play an important role in board /size choice for the conditions (some riders prefering the calmer, less bouncy ride of the smaller board which tends to sit down more into the chop, others preferring the "blaze across the top" style of the bigger boards. Both extremes are effective, but to be most effective, board choice should be matched or compliment rider's style/technique/preference.

Please let us know if you would like more comparitive information.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2007, 03:44 PM   #4
henry67

Hi Ian,
I was thinking just to the iSonic 122 that I will use on the gardalake, in its typical choppy condition. My doubt between 122 and 111 is on the severity of chop that is enough strong under the "Ponale coast" of Torbole. Again I would like to know main differences between 122 and 111 with respect to early planning and top end speed. In the end is 111 enough floating for a 90kg in order to lift a 7.5 sail if the wind goes down totally?
Old 4th August 2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Henry,

With 90kg rider iS111, the uphaul with 7.5m is possible but challenging. It's certainly possible in "emergency" situations, but maybe not something that a normal rider would like to do a lot (unless they like that challenge - some do !).

With 122 you have a marginal improvement in early planing threshold - and maybe a more significant edge in light slalom conditions (once planing) as the 122 holds very strong planing power from early on in the range (when 111 can be planing but not fully efficent). Note here that in "marginal 111 " conditions, especially with heavier riders, the 122 will have the best top speed/range.

In ultimate top end speed, by the time the 111 is really flying, the most likely winner in the "outright" top speed" is the 111; the 122 can challenge but by the conditions the 111 is reaching top speed (in normal water) the water become a little rough and the 122 remains very fast BUT 122 definitely becomes more demanding (skill/determination/resiliance) to ride at very top speed in rougher chop.

Hope this clarifies the discusion, please let us know if more info is required.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote