Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 27th July 2007, 06:19 PM   #1
NORTHY

Default Evo 80xtv quick report & fin advice sought

Hi Ola et al

After some deliberation on the Boards forum i got myself a 07 Evo80 woody on Wed and tried it last night on a 5.2 in sideshore 2-3 foot.....WOW! It just makes riding so easy!

I really am blown away by the Evo after just a few hrs.

Had read so many things about it being hard to use or slow or bad upwind but i just got on it and just sailed straight off the beach.

The only area i have to adapt my style a little is my outside gybe thats always been weak and more of a carvey-slalom style when the evo seems to prefer a tighter wave style gybe but apart from that its super super easy.

The best bit though is on the wave it feels SO loose and goes back up the face vertically to hit the lip without any effort...really flattering for anyone who is getting into waves right upto wave expert.

I also swapped over with a mates 2004 74 and although a little less exciting or crisp than the 80 (wood) it still had the same charecterisitcs on a wave...and of course 80 just felt a little more corky as it would ie its bigger.

Now onto the question:
I was using the stock 23cm drake fin yesterday and had no issues at all with it on my 5.2. I also want to use it on a 5.8 and =<4.7.....should i be looking to invest in more fins to complement these sizes or will the 23cm fin suffice...what would you suggest and what size? Would i get any extra value in say a 25cm drake for light winds for float-n-ride days and a 21 for strong 4.5 days....im guessing a 25 or 26cm cm might be a good idea...but the 21?

Nice one starboard!
NORTHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 02:41 AM   #2
Ray Timm

Default RE: Evo 80xtv quick report & fin advice sought

Hi Northy,

I would definitely get a 25 for the board if you want to use it with bigger sails in light wind. I frequently use a 24 and 25 in my E80, but rarely smaller than a 23 because I tend to jump on my E75 or E70 when I&#39;m using sails 5.0 or smaller, plus the 23 for me will handle sails down to 4.5 on the 80. As Ola will often says, the Drake fins are so good you don&#39;t bog down or stiffen up the ride much by using them in larger sizes than recommended.

Don&#39;t know how much you weigh, but if you ever get a chance, jump on the E70. When the wind is really up, it is one of my all time favorite boards for wave riding and general blasting and i&#39;m 85 kgs.
Ray Timm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 09:28 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

Hi Northy and congrats on a great board.

Ray has already given great fin advice and I agree you should definitely get a 25 Drake Natural. It will forma great quiver with the 23. You could go for a 26 too, but I think the 25 matches the 23 better and for 5.8 is will be enough, I think.

I would not go as far as the 21 for a smaller fin. Probably you will find the 23 good also with 4.7 and if you need smaller the 22 is probably a smarter choice. I only use the 21 in very fast conditions and with smaller sails and boards and even then usually get by on the 22. I sailed Kombat 79 and EVO 70 with 23 and 24cm and a 4.5 the last few days fx.

NOTE: 08 Drake natural fins are a bit stiffer and I would say slightly different size recommendation apply. Worth to know since some importers might already have the 08 fins.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 09:37 PM   #4
NORTHY

Thanks both.

So Ola (RE: Note) your saying to keep in line with my 07 23cm i should try and get a 07 25cm, correct?
Old 29th July 2007, 12:55 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

Right, a 07 (or 06) 25cm Drake Natural is what you should look for.
Old 30th July 2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

And Northy, about the outside jibe, you can also do a long drawn out jibe on the EVO. The trick, as so often on the EVO, is keeping mast foot pressure on. Crouch down a bit, set the rail by adding some mast foot pressure, preferably move your back hand back on the boom a bit and then just carve the thing. Rather similar technique as a good bottom turn entry, actually.

Setting the rail by using some mast foot pressure is also the key to shorter radius jibes in choppy conditions on the EVO.
Old 30th July 2007, 04:38 PM   #7
griff

i have 2 evo&#39;s (83 and 74) and I tried a lot of different fins on them;

the standard drake was very comfortable due tot the flex but to small to get enough lift in marginal conditons and it was not very good in upwind performance. Wave riding was great with this fin.

If i took a more stiffer fin, the upwind was great and planing was improved only it was a less smoother ride and wave riding performance was less.

The Select pro-wave has some flex just like the standard drake, it is a little bit stiffer but the flex is more concentrated on the tipp of the fin, so you have best of both worlds;

good upwind, planing but still a controlled comfortable ride and great wave riding.
griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 04:53 PM   #8
NORTHY

Thanks Ola for the confirmation of fin (hopefully get one tmrw) and the gybing tip!

Actually i do think its my poor outside gybe thats the crux (rather than a "peculiarity" with the board!) as when carving a long btm turn on thursday i found no problem setting the line....i&#39;ll remember the MFP tip and see how i can improve it!

PS
What i found most remarkable was how *un-remarkable* it was just to sail striaght off (im not talking about the wave riding just blasting out). Over the last 4 years Ive heard soooo many things about the evo ie having to adopt "special measures" eg have the boom waaay high, super looong lines, extremely light on back foot to plane, not going upwind, spinning out, being sluggish, only useable for waves etc etc.....i just set up as i always do and off i went...?!

Cheers, Northy
Old 30th July 2007, 07:29 PM   #9
Ola_H
TEAM

Yes, I frequently change between EVOs and other boards and don&#39;t change my stance or tuning. EVOs do require some extra care when going upwind in light conditions, particularly with bigger sails, but for most wave sailors this is a complete non-issue which has been blown up a lot by some people. But if you do really put most of your wave sailing emphasis on this "upwind issue" instead of the actual wave sailing, of course an fsw board or some other fast tail design is better...

I&#39;m glad you have seen the light.
Old 31st July 2007, 05:47 PM   #10
NORTHY

Ola - my local shop only has 2008 25cm natural wave....is this an issue?