Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 15th August 2007, 10:01 PM   #11
Roly Gardner

Thanks Roger,

I got the hang of steering the board with mast foot pressure for beach starting quite intuitively(for a change!) I was told to hold the boom like handlebars on a push bike which helped a little bit. As did bearing away slightly before I hopped on as I found my leg was pushing the back of the board away from me and the nose into the wind.

Thank you for the early planing advice. I will experiment with moving back on the board and getting the nose up and out of the water a bit. I weigh 175lbs btw so hope to be able to get planing early in my most common conditions here.

Any thoughts on the Weed Fin 16? Looks like quite a funny profile to me being so racked back. If it would do it might be a little easier for me.

Roly
Roly Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 10:43 PM   #12
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Roly,
Ummmm..... a 16" weed fin..... that's going to have alot of area and stick behind the tail of your board quite a bit.
Do you have weeds or shallow sandbars where you are sailing? If yes, then the 16" Finworks would be OK, but it's a little on the large side of things for a Carve 144 with 7.5/6.5/5.8 m2 rigs.
I think a 14.5" Finworks weed fin would be much better overall.
If you don't have to deal with weeds or sandbars, then I would suggest looking for either a shorter Drake Freeride fin or a vertical pointer slalom fin in about 38-48 cm size range.
As far as your beach starts, you don't need to put your foot on the board until you step on, and if you ensure that the tail of the board is right in tight on your back leg, you can get your foot all the way to the middle of the board. Then you won't "push the tail away" at all. That's the trick here. Get so good at "steering" the board with the rig (thru the mast foot) that you can bring the board right in close, put your foot on the board over the centerline and then you don't have any problems as the board simply sails away
on a beam reach.
Hope this helps,
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2007, 11:22 PM   #13
Roly Gardner

Thanks Roger,

That helps alot. Will keep my open for the Drake fin you mention.

Best of luck Friday in case I do not post before.

Roly
Roly Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote