Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 9th August 2007, 01:11 AM   #1
Igor

Default Question about board

Hi Roger,
Need your advice. I'm a very big man - 6,5 and 260lbs. Physically strong. Do i have chance to drive windsurf and what model you can advice for me. Or, on a my case i have chance to drive just pontoon boat?
Igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 05:24 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Question about board

Hi Igor,
Yes, with the right equipment, and some lessons to get you started, I'm sure you can windsurf (drive a windsurfing board and rig).
Since you are big, and fit, one of the toughest thigs for you to learn about windsurfing is going to be to use balance rather than your superior physical strength.
While there is a small amount of strength required to windsurf (most of this "requirement" can be alleviated by matching lightweight gear to lightweight, less strong entry level sailors.
If you want to "teach yourself" it's going to be somewhat an uphill battle until you get all the basics mastered.
Look for a school near you, or travel to a windsurfing "destination" that has a school/training program.
Try to sail on a Start Large at first with a 5.5-6.5 m2 rig and you should be able to balance on the wide Start board nicely.
When you have your balance on the board, and can uphaul, get into the sailing position, balance your rig on the mast foot, rotate your upper body to sheet in and get underway, tack up through the eye of the wind and jibe with the wind coming across the tail of the board, you will be ready to get a Start board and a rig of 2 of your own.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 08:40 AM   #3
Igor

Thank you very much Roger. You right - need to find some course/training near the Dallas. Here, Texas, i think very good weather for windsurfing - most of the time it's windy - 10-20MPH. But i never see surfers on our lakes - probably will be hard to find school here. Any way - if you think Start L with 225 litres will be enough for my weight - i can find a complete package (need to buy all equipment in one pack) and try to starts myself.
Thanks a lot.
Igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2007, 09:04 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Igor,
I would look for an older 2001-2003 Start L.
The are wider, a little longer, and have more float and stability.
If you could find one of the 110 cm wide 2003 Start L's, that would be even better.
START Large
Volume 210 litres
Length 264 cm
Width 110 cm
One foot off 71.8 cm
Weight D-Ram 15.1 kg =/- 5%
Fin Start 40 + Start Convertible Start 40 + Start Convertible
Finbox Deep Tuttle Deep Tuttle
Sail size 1.0 - 10.5 m2 1.0 - 10.5 m2

If you live in Dallas, check with the guys at Mariner Sails to see if they don't have some instruction available.
I don't think there's as much wind in Dallas, TX as you think, especially in the summer.
Usually more wind down in Galveston or Corpus Christi.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote