Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 13th August 2007, 02:20 AM   #1

Default Maui

Hi, my family is going to Maui, and I would like to go surfing there, but I'm not very good yet. Right now I ride in straps and trapez, does tack and waterstart. I would really like to get into waves! I'm going in november... Is there any spots that would fits me? Or is it all Ho'okipa over there?

Thanks
Claire
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 03:44 AM   #2
steveC

Default RE: Maui

HI Claire,

In November the waves can be quite sizeable, such that a spot like Ho'okipa can be very challenging, particularly with the crowds, the small launch site and the rocks. You would find Kanaha much more spread out, far more realistic and suited to your needs as a learning wavesailor, especially since the reef is a distance out and it tends to have channels that can facilitate going through the lineup.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 03:54 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Claire,
There are a few more "mellow" places to sail on Maui.
Kanaha Beach Park is pretty easy on the inside.
Try to keep your feet off the reef as it's sharp (shoes/booties are good here) and try not to get your rig "turned over" as the holes in the reef are great for breaking masts in.
Also, you can have almost flat water conditions (but offshore winds) if you can sail over on the Kehei side of the island.
Again, be sure to wear shoes as there are rocky reefs over there also.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2007, 04:32 AM   #4

Hey
when I was in Maui I went to a place near Kihei called Waipulani beach park or something like that. It was a flat water spot with side shore wind and in a very easy place there was a small 2-3 feet wave for jumping and easy riding.
I think is a great place to start jumping and doing some maneouvers and get used to control the board in the air.

Try it, I think can be easier than Kanaha, then go to Kanaha.

(anyway, I was there only 2 days...maybe there is no waves always, but at least that 2 days was good while in the other side of the island was no wind).

Ricardo Guglielmino
Old 13th August 2007, 06:31 AM   #5

Claire, you have to ignore Roger's replies, he only hits on the ladies. As to Maui, ask Kevin, he lives there and knows it well.
Old 13th August 2007, 10:44 AM   #6
steveC

Hi Claire,

Regarding Kihei, it's a south facing shoreline, so the chances of finding waves on that side of the island during November are pretty unlikely. However, unusual things can happen, so it's always wise to consider all opportunities. Traditionally in mid to late Fall, the consistent winds of Summer are far less likely, and the hit ratio is more realistically in the 50/50 range. All things considered, the most likely chances for wind and waves are on the north shore, and Kanaha is probably your best bet overall.

Roger is right about the reef. It's very easy to get cut on the shallow reef, so booties are definitely advisable. Yet, it's best to avoid touching or standing on the reef altogether. Once cut, infection is almost always a result, so you'll want to be very proactive with precautionary measures (cleanliness, hydrogen peroxide and Polysporin).

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2007, 07:06 PM   #7
Unregistered

Thanks guys. It sounds as if I have a chance to improve over there eventhough i haven't surfed waves yet... Also one more question, I have an 80 liters board, will that be allright for maui you guess? or should I go for something else. I'm 47kg. I cannot jibe the 80liters... yet...

what skills do I need to get into small wave riding?

Thank you.