Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 21st August 2007, 11:28 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default tomcat or goldwing for isonic

Hellloo
I have a isonic 101 and 111 but i don't know what fin is better, tectonics goldwing or tom cat? In my old sonic 2005 the glodwing was good,very good but some people tell me the tomcat works better on isonic than the goldwing I will use 6.2 or 7.2 in my 101 isonic
thanks
Old 21st August 2007, 11:50 AM   #2
steveC

Both the Goldwing and Tomcat (previously the Spitfire) are great fins. My experiences indicate that the Goldwings are more slalom oriented, whereas the Tomcats are more course slalom focused with stronger directional characteristics. Really, the profiles and areas of the two designs are somewhat telling in that respect. I also like the Mirage designs too, especially with bigger sails in lighter winds. However, I have to admit to being an enthusiastic Tectonics customer.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Erik Loots

Send a message via MSN to Erik Loots
Thumbs up

I really love the GW36 under my isonic 105, it will be perfect with isonic 101. I did 36knots topspeed with GW36, way faster than Drake Slalom Pro 34/32. If you like to go tto the max go for goldwing.

I know that on an very good day the topspeed will be much higher, like 38-40knots. Goldwing is a winners choise, especially when it starts to go crazy on the water.

I dont think you should put an course race fin under the isonic 101, I never used it.
Erik Loots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2007, 09:33 PM   #4
Papounet

6.2 => GW 32 or 30 if speed oriented
7.2 => GW 36

Tomcat start's at 38 cm. usefull only for light winds
Papounet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 11:51 AM   #5
speedy

Hello everybody and thanks for your answers, the isonic 101 is more short than the 2005 100 sonic and i'm afraid with the front of the isonic when the sea is extreme, so what is your secret for set this board with extreme waves, is it the fin or the mast track position or footstrap?
Best regards
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 09:10 AM   #6
Erik Loots

My secret to handle extreme conditions/ chop:

1) Dont go to small (fin/sail)
2) Board should be loose and flying, if it is not your tuning/stance could be better

@ one point I really like the isonic 105... but there are some little flaws, like it is not made for topspeed (I am a speedsurfer) It is a real slalomboard, and till 60kmh it is bloody fast in almost every condition, but faster than 60kmh is just not efficient and pretty hard. The average speed is high, the peaks are not very high. My highest peak ever was 71kmh but that was flat& very strong gust. Compared to your sonic 100 the isonic will peak lower speeds, but on long distance you will win.
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Mike Nelson

my two bobs worth;

loved the 101 - but i couldn't get anything out of the board using anything smaller than a 36(GW) - in extreme conditions this is fine, with the mast track around 3/4 forward (actually feels ridiculously safe)

the board looks short and it might take some experience to realise the short nose will be fine

with the first question - tomcats for 40cm and bigger, goldwings 38cm and smaller - both are awesome. i used a 36GW and 40TC for the 101 and it was sweet!
Mike Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 12:20 AM   #8
martwald

Default Falcon

What about the Falcon, great fin too, if not the best for upwind work
martwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 05:01 AM   #9
Erik Loots

The tectonics falcon f1 is a brilliant fin, but dont go to big on those. Last session I had an Tectonics falcon f1 30cm under the Is105, and I can say for topspeed it is a big improvement. My 71 kmh was with that fin too.

Upwind&crosswind the speeds are a bit lower because the fin cant take that much load as a goldwing 36.

The tectonics falcon f1 = a control freak fin (I never lost it in most crazy circumstances)

You see big PWA pro's with tectonic falcons when it gets crazy...
Old 24th August 2007, 06:16 AM   #10
Unregistered

Default Falcon fins

Dale Cook rides the Falcon 26 and 28 cm fins in all those pics from the Gorge where he's flying 10 metres up.