Old 30th August 2007, 01:23 PM   #11
Marko

Does anyone know what are differences between s-type 93 2006 and 2007?

Thanks
Marko
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2007, 02:31 PM   #12
Ola_H
TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
and please can someone from the team respond to the above issues.
Ian has promised to write something about this but his very busy at the moment. Hang on...

Personally I don't know. The only Futura I have (and have seen) is the 101.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:07 AM   #13
Max72

Hy, I ask excuse for my terrible English. I must replace my Carve101 2007 (destroyed in airport) with the new noticed Futura.Ho that the measures and the range of the Futura93 is identical to Carve 101, for having the usual range of the which Future C.101 must take, the 93 or the 101? Thanks Max.
Max72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 10:31 PM   #14
Duracell

they (almost) always state the volumnes wrong, big deal.
It's only really important if your concern is "floating" home.

Volumne == "static" float
Outline (widths (widest AND tail)) == "dynamic" float (as soon a you move a knot or two your sinker turns into a floater (if the ratio is not too far off like 100Kg and 60ltr board))

Both together are important!

Wanting to buy e.g. a 120 liter board to fill the gap in your 140, -gap-, 100, 80 line up is not the best (sole) guidance.
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 10:49 PM   #15
van

So you think that volume is not a big deal - If that is the case why quote volume at all. Just state length and width and we should all be fine.

Volume is the single most important factor in a board. Volume = control and power is nothing without control. So when someone looks to buy 2-3 different boards he will buy different volumes in order to combine them with the respective sail/fin sizes. So if starboard quote that the st93 is 93 liters and the isonic 101 is 101 liters and they happen to be 99 and 96 liters respectively that is a huge problem to someone like me who has both. I'm 70 kg and didn't want a board more than 105 liters so went for the isonic 101 - i also wanted the fastest none slalom board which I could jump off so went for an st93. Guess what I now have 2 boards with 3 liters apart and deffenitely not too happy about it. I'm actually so anoyed with the whole matter that I'm thinking of selling them both and looking elsewhere to buy something which I know exactly what I'm getting.
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 11:59 PM   #16
steveC

Hi van,

Just curious about how you like the ST93 and the iS101 and whether they both met your expectations, especially since they are both very similar sized boards that really don't differ that much in concept, despite the virtual volume thing. Many folks will buy boards with similar volumes, yet the focus point and intent are usually quite a bit different. Like slalom versus wave or slalom versus freestyle.

I'm the same weight as you, and I think that both the ST93 and iS101 offer sufficient float to slog in should the wind fall off. So, your concerns here aren't really like those of the heavyweight sailors who need to be keenly attentive about sufficient volumes. While you might be unhappy now with the lack of difference in your two boards, I'm having a hard time seeing how Starboard has done you a disservice and annoyed you to the point of looking elsewhere.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 02:05 AM   #17
Ola_H
TEAM

Van, I'm sorry you feel that way and I for one think it would be easiest if all volumes matched specs. That said, volume actually only does tell you two things. 1. Volume decides how well the board will float at an absolute standstill. 2. Volume is a good size indicator _within a given board range_.
When you move between ranges with different shaping concepts, volume actually does not say so much (except the standstill thing). Sometimes even within the same range, volume tells "too little" (cf iS101 and 96 or EVO 70 and 75). I happen to have four boards in my garage between 99 and 101 liters (iS, Futura, Flare and EVO) and they are all very different. I have them mainly for testing purposes, but in an extreme case I could actually imagine a "regular customer" (with enough time and money, living in a place with steady winds and with many different interests within the sport) having all these four boards. Another example come from the pro wave scene where many of the guys that are on prototype gear actually have a whole quiver of boards that are virtually the same size (differ a few liters maybe).

So, while I can see situations where the wrong quoted volume would cause problems, I think that when choosing your quiver you should look at the intended area of use and if in doubts ask people who has sailed the boards (for example here). It is easy to shave a few liters here on one board and add a few there on another board and in practice keep the almost the exact same performance (except for the standstill thing). So even with perfect quoted volumes, it would still be a bit of hit and miss if you only go by that criteria as an indicator of performance spectrum.

Last edited by Ola_H; 5th September 2007 at 02:13 AM.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 03:57 PM   #18
Duracell

Quote:
So you think that volume is not a big deal - If that is the case why quote volume at all. Just state length and width and we should all be fine.
Read, understand and then make educated assumptions.

Quote:
Guess what I now have 2 boards with 3 liters apart and deffenitely not too happy about it. I'm actually so anoyed with the whole matter that I'm thinking of selling them both and looking elsewhere to buy something which I know exactly what I'm getting.
You aren't happy with the boards?
You aren't happy with your perception of the boards (they should be xxx but I thought they would be yyy. They are both great boards, but I just don't want to be happy)?
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2007, 04:30 PM   #19
van

Hi Steve - To Answer Your Question I Mainly Use The Isonic 101 With Np Rs Slalom 6.7 & 6.2 For Mega Blasting And I Use The St 93 With Np Saber 5.7 And Gaastra Manic 5.2 For Freeride And Jumping Off Chop. On The Isonic I Use Techtonic Goldwing Fins 36 Cm For The 6.7 And 34 For The 6.2 - And On The St 93 I Use 32cm For The 5.7 And 30cm For The 5.2. Have Also Used The St 93 With A 4.7 But I Prefer To Use My Jp Freestyle Wave 77 For 4.7 Down In Choppy Conditions As It's More Fun As You Can Understand.

Hi Ola H - Thanks For Your Responce And I Have To Say That I Wrote That Message In The Heat Ofthe Moment. Didn't Mean To Take That Tone. Never The Less My Argument Is As Follows. I Understand What You Are Saying But You Also Have To Understand That For Those Of Us Who Are Not Team Members Have To Buy Say 2-3 Boards That Will Maximise Our Time On The Water Depending On Everone's Individual Preferance. So Had I Know The Isonic 101 Was Infact 96 Liters And The St 93 Was 99 Liters I Would Have Chosen To Buy A F2 Sx Medium 105 Liters To Be Used With The Sails I Mendioned Above And Probably A Fanatic Hawk Which Is 93 Liters For Higher Wind Blasting. That Would Have Made More Sence In My Book. Don't Forget That I'm Light And Prefer To Have Less Volume Under My Feet When Its Windy. Prefer To Have A Loose Board To Throw Around And Jump On. Having Said That I Am 100% Satisfied With The Isonic. The Board Really Rocks But Like I Said Had I Known My Choise Would Have Been Different. After All The Isonic And The St Are Not Miles Apart In Character. The Isonic Is By Far A More Dedicated Board No Question About It But They Are Both Fast Boards. We Are Not Comparing A Slalom Board With A Freestyle Board With A Wave Board To Justify Having Similar Volumes For Different Characteristics.
Old 5th September 2007, 04:43 PM   #20
van

Duracell Read Above And You Might Get The Picture - Volume Also Defines How Loose A Board Is When Comparing Boards With Similar Characteristics - I Would Have Personally Prefered To Have Had A Freeride Board Closer To 90 Liters Rather Than Closer To 100 Liters - As For Am I Happy Yes - Could I Be Happier - Yes.