Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 2nd December 2007, 05:22 AM   #1
dd_o

Default evo62 as a one only board

I read all the previous posts where the evo62 appears, but still have some questions.

I now have an Evo 70, but I'm looking for a new one, since after two years of sailing, the board shows a big crack in the middle between front footstraps and mastfoot.....so I'd better be prepared for its funeral..

I'm very happy with my current 2005 evo70, it boosted my waveriding skills, after making my wave debut on a classic board...it was a revelation
But sometimes, in good powered conditions, and especially in chop, I found it a bumpy ride, and sometimes a little slow and big for me. That's when a little bit less width would please me (the 62?)
On the other hand, on light days, I was pleased with the amount of volume under my feet...

So, now the question: how small is the 62? I would rather stay with my "one board' solution, and that's when the "62" scares me....Is it a completely different shape or is it a smaller version of the 70? And how can it be compared to a classic board, more like a 68 then?

My stats: I weigh 66 kg, sails: 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, I go out on a 5 bft minimum.
Spots: North Sea Belgium (Oostende), North France (Wissant, Wimereux,..)

thnx!
dd_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I'm a few kilos heavier, but would say having the 62 as the only board would be a challenge. It really is much smaller. When you're reasonably powered up and the wind is not to gusty the 62 get planing rather early and feels quite efficient. But as soon you start spending time semi sinking, you definitely notice you have 8 liters less buoyancy.

The 62 is not the same shape as the 70. The 05/06 was rather similar to a small version of the EVO 75, but the 07/08 got updated to a slightly more drivey shape. For me its a bit less natural at higher riding speed in the bottom turn. On the other hand it is noticeably easier in the cup back. Here the smaller tail really makes a difference. For general high wind control the 62 is fantastic. There is just so much less board to handle.

Maybe one solution would be to get the 62 and then patch the 70 back together for the light wind/gusty days.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote