Old 30th October 2007, 12:03 AM   #11
veedot

Hi Ian,
How about that head to head testing ?
Speed differences, range...?

Unfortunately, the is87 is out of stock (regarding your advice) - the decision has to be made between the is86 and is96 (to second my is111)

Thanks and cheers, v.
veedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2007, 04:20 PM   #12
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi V,

Sorry, been a bit carried away with the iS76 lately - and not had the 86 on hand to do the 87 vs 86 head to head myself. But I know the Dutch crew have - and the feedback was pretty clear that in top end conditions they considered the 86 actually had the edge over the 87. It came down to a narrow (not quantum) margin, but for the 86 definitely edged out their "favorite" 87 in top end. Range was not much in it because the extra width helped bottom end in 86 but was offset by the slightly less early planing of the DFC 86.

That pretty much matches the development testing results as well.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 04:30 AM   #13
mark h

Hi Ian
Would be interesting to hear how its going with the iS76. I dont know any one else who has one, so feed back from exerienced speedsters would be good. I've only managed to get out on mine once (in less than ideal conditions and sailing with injuries) so only managed mid-30k's. What seems to be the ideal wind speed for it, sail/fin combos, top speeds (for GPSSS), set up tips. Hows it compairing with iS50? The one time I used my iS76, it felt much smaller than the iS87, so I'm guessing its feeling more iS50 than iS87?

Cheers
Mark
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 05:46 PM   #14
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Mark,

Going every bit as expected - and even a bit better after a rather suicide Sunday last weekend when I decided to see how far the stock iS76/32 fin could go in 30-40kts open water. after having it so sweet on the speed course, I wasn't sure how it would fare. First couple of massively overpowered runs were "attention gathering" but quickly progressed towards challenging and then even capable in almost impossible conditions. Lets just summarize that the "couple" of survival runs finished 3 hrs or so later, very satisfied.

Board was very rideable, safe and free, more than expected but front footstraps were a bit new on this board and really not "worn in" which resulted in a couple of mishaps with front foot eject over chop. (see the other thread* on that). In wild conditions, the inside FRONT position may prove the better option (outside OK for flat water speed). In that mode it required a lot of positive mastfoot/rig pressure but responded very well to that (need to really keep the power on, clew fully sheeted in) I guess the word is "commitment".

I've not had a chance to run true Vmax speeds but in one session I pulled 5 over 40 in fading, marginal speed conditions from 8 or 9 runs when 36-38's seemed to be par: setup for that was : fin C3 X2 24.5 and CodeRed 5.6m, mast foot bang on the recommended, FRONT straps out and back, REAR straps forward and out. All seems about right.

Board seems plenty "big" for speed sailing (luxury size...) but still riding quite small in terms of hi speed, top end trim, not flighty nor difficult. "Push-on" confidence at top end was very high (especially thru rolling speed chop), and sailing back up the course was dream…

From the outset I expected iS76 to be a bit "big" to fill the gap to iS50, but it slots in very nicely, carrying it's "light wind speed" performance very well into iS50 territory (with solid practical overlap and no need for anything in between).

I was pretty hooked on this one from the start, seems each session the more I push it the better it gets. There's some acquaintance factor to reach the full limits in open water, but once you do the potential and results for the conditions are rather impressive. Definitely the footstrap "settle (wear) in" thing improves a lot of the initial "front foot" issue. I'd go so far to suggest switching a pre-used set from another board onto the 76 if you have any "new strap" issues with the iS76 straps/thick pad combo.

And confidence, keep that word firmly in mind when it gets gnarly. You can really take it by the neck - and wring it. You might be surprised, and not in a negative way.

Let's know how you go.

Cheers ~ Ian

* = http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2931
Old 2nd November 2007, 08:26 PM   #15
Tjabo

Hi Ian,

You say "REAR straps forward and out", which position is that exactly, if I remember correctly there are 4 ways of mounting the straps in the outer position. And why did you decide to have them at that position?
Tjabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2007, 09:59 PM   #16
mark h

Thanks Ian, sounds fun. I'm looking forward to clocking up a lot of miles on the iS76, just need the UK Autum winds to kick in. I'm using Dakine contour straps which I use on all my boards, they really do feel nice.

Cheers
Mark
mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2007, 03:23 AM   #17
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Tjabo,

Using conventional 155mm strap placement/pitch,
iS76 offers 4 sets of REAR strap options :

INBOARD : Fwd and aft
OUTBOARD : Fwd and aft.

Same options on the FRONT strap.

For my setup, I often use the OUTBOARD more because that offers the very best leverage over the board/fin - and in a miniscule way also gets the rider more outboard.
It's also a more prone/locked stance and not as easy in rough conditions.
I chose the OUTBOARD FORWARD settings on 76 because over rough water and at super hi speed the more fwd position allows the rider to calm the board more. If you are in super flat speed conditions, or light wind speed (when water and conditions are calmer) , then the OUTBOARD REAR would be an option. Over extreme rough water on 76, the inboard rears will provide better control thru better foot clearance from water albeit at reduced leverage over fin etc.

Another factor in choosing the FWD vs AFT option realtes to selecting the pitch (stance) between the FRONT and REAR straps - my preference is more medium stance and accordingly on the 76, using the REAR on FWD and the FRONT on BACK achieves that. It's more reactive and sensitive but reduced rider control (leverage) over board (longitudanal) trim.

Note on the 76 we only offer 2 FWD/AFT options at all positions (normally it could be 3 ; so FWD:MID:AFT) - in that case the selection (for me) would be MID based.

Also worth noting that there is no solid rule to use the matching INBOARD or OUTBOARD settings front and rear. According to rider style/preference/conditions/sailing mode (speed vs slalom) the best position will vary a lot- and a combo such as INBOARD FRONT with OUTBOARD REAR would also be valid on a board like 76. INBOARD FRONT also seems to suit a lot of people more with the thick contour pad on 76 front foot.

Although I haven't used any optional straps on my 76, it's clear (as Mark commented) that contour straps like DaKine will certainly help dial the front foot "fit" issue in where it occurs. Most of the problem in my experience was resolved with a couple of good sessions to really bed the straps in (distort them to fit my feet). Some of the early 2008 Slickstraps dont open excessively wide (not normally a problem, actually normally an advantage), but where you need "extra" strap adjustment (as on front of 76 over the thick underfoot pad), then (while new) they struggled to make it.
Nothing like a few hrs over 30kts to sort that out though

Cheers ~ Ian
Old 4th December 2007, 10:25 PM   #18
G

Ok guys,
86 is out in the market since couple of month right now and more feedbacks should be available...
I'm in front of a choice: is 86 or lower price is 87 ?!
I' ve read what Ian has written but didn't understand well.
Ian or Remi,would you please help me with this doubt?!
Today I was sailing with my 60 cm wide board in very gusty wind and I've suffered too much for control when over 25 kt and hard chop crossed my board...
Is 87 or 86 adapt for gusty wind?
What is the "working" starting point for both? I mean,how much wind it does need at 82/4 kg for make it work right?
Thank you
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 11:21 PM   #19
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi G,

The difference between this 2 board are better in acceleration due a nice lenght balance compare to the iSonic 87,. This help also in gust, the board is more stable and more easy to control. So the iSonic 86 is more easy than the iSonic 87 but both of them are good slalom machine. The 86 need less level to access to high performance.

All the best
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 03:52 AM   #20
G

Thank you Remi.

I was talking with a Starboard rider and he was telling me about the beauty of 2008 101.
He and another top sailor is pushing the board at its limit (lot of wind in this period) and seems it handle 30 kns easy as well as 15/16.
He suggested me to scale down from my 111 2007 in favor of it and get the new 133.He states that there's no big empty room between the 2 board.Do you agree?
In this option what's the moment for switch board? 16 kns?
G is offline   Reply With Quote